It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola confirmed in Tanzania?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The Soviets were able to weaponize Ebola as an aerosol during the Cold War.

Maybe some terrs got hold of some?

Or some government is doing a test run?

ETA: Weaponized Ebola Thread
edit on 6-8-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That is a sobering thought. I'd imagine the US Army also weaponized it during the dark days of the cold war. I think they did just about everything else.

The good news in my mind for an argument against that? Ebola is one of THE single scariest bugs man has ever encountered and has one of the highest mortality rates of anything we might catch.

So... If it were weaponized as opposed to natural, I think the scene in Kampala, Uganda would already be something out of a Hollywood horror movie with Kenya and Tanzania to quickly follow.

Since we're still well below 2 dozen apparent fatalities, I am going to figure it means this hasn't mutated into something worse and is just the usual Ebola outbreak (as bad as THAT sounds) that hopefully..burns itself out before it has time to mutate.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is indeed worrying. Kenya would be the third confirmed country, and it also has a thriving port facility...

If this strain makes it to southern Europe or the Persian Gulf, it's time to get the BOB's ready and pick up some more filters for the gas mask.

./slightlyalarmed

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
You people take things a bit too far when it comes to an outbreak, I'm doing just fine where I am and I can assure you, panicking will only make you look like fools.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The scary thing is that Soviets apparently spent a lot of time and money locating Ebola strains and then working to make it even more virulent.
There are a few good books out there on the subject.

Richard Preston, author of 'The Hot Zone' has written several.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Eating monkeys again no doubt :shk:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Wrabbit: I posted some other incidents of hemorrhagics (ebola is this classification) within last month in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 6-8-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
all it takes is one of these people to get on a plane and its over. once i hear its jumped continents, its time to hide in the bunker.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

This really bad news if it has come from the recent Ugandan outbreak,as that strain can be carried and spread for much longer than other strains before symptoms begin,if I read the other thread correctly.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

A very good reading, that raises the hairs on the back of the neck is The Hot Zone. Look it up, well worth the read.

Ebola is 80% fatality rate.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow
You people take things a bit too far when it comes to an outbreak, I'm doing just fine where I am and I can assure you, panicking will only make you look like fools.

I'm actually going to agree with you about panicking. Right now and as it stands today, this is fluid based, not airborne and it's on another continent. It's even a continent where Ebola outbreaks are not uncommon and this isn't a unique occurance.

So, panic now would be chicken little to an extreme. I hope no one considers doing more than becoming alert to this and watching a bit more carefully than before. In Uganda. it was a case of 'TIA' or 'That is Africa'...to paraphrase. Nothing special from past years. However, spreading to Kenya made it a bit different. Then a couple days later, Tanzania. Now, it's concern....absolutely not panic.....but concern time, IMO. IF it mutates to airborne somehow.....OR...confirmed cases are inside the nation one of us lives in, I think that changes. That's what I hope my thread and the earlier one TimetoThink wrote help to do. Just raise the alert level for news on this, maybe 1 notch higher.

@TimetoThink

Thanks for your earlier thread on the Uganda start of this. I believe I'd even been the voice of 'no need to worry' on your thread before turning more serious after Kenya there. I thought about whether this came too close for a dupe thread, but Tanzania seemed to really raise this another level. I hope this one didn't take away from the other.

@Silicone Synapse

From how I am reading the CDC/WHO/RSOE alerts, it's the same strain, same outbreak. Kenya seemed a short travel from the first village it appeared in...but how to Tanzania?? The alerts specifically include SWEAT as a vector, along with blood and the usual fluids. Nice...People sweat in airline seats. I hope that wasn't a flight and if it was...I really hope the plane sat empty for awhile. I understand Ebola is very fragile outside a host...but yikes. I wouldn't want the seat next to prove the point, either.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Not sure I should have read this thread!!

This is not looking good and yes it is a scary virus!!

Maybe I should invest in a gas mask too which should be free IMO.... if this got worse at least people would be able to prevent it getting even more worse by receiving free gas masks or something similar.... why people out there wanting to make money off of a scenario like this?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

What about Arizona? Do you have a link to go with this statement? I may of missed it if you did.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well, it's not like this never happens:

List of Ebola outbreaks

They know how to contain these fairly well. People take this one obviously, very seriously. If the breakout hits over 100, I'll start to grow slightly alarmed. Not really alarmed yet though.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Most likely the Elite have decided it's time to step up their depopulation of Africa, either this will be coming from vaccines or it will be a form of non-contagious Ebola that's being sprayed from the sky

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Alright, some good news, folks!

A patient, who was admitted to Siaya District Hospital with symptoms similar to those of Ebola, has tested negative.

LINK

And then there is this!

Communicated by: ProMEd-mail Rapporteur Mary Marshall [But see WHO Uganda update later today; both cases tested negative. -- Mod.JW]

LINK

So what it seems to me is that the two cases in Kenya tested negative. Man, those poor people.
(I am going to cross-post this in the other main thread so they can see the info there as well!)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner

I wish I could star ya twice! That is some of the best news I've heard tonight. They were testing for confirmation in Tanzania as well. It would be great to hear no spread outside Uganda. This is one time I sure wouldn't mind over-eager doctors.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
i think since our government is doing such a GREAT job, we should take out some of the bailout money and send the entire government to Tanzania for um 16 day vacation

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~widowmaker~
i think since our government is doing such a GREAT job, we should take out some of the bailout money and send the entire government to Tanzania for um 16 day vacation

Since Ebola can be spread by simple contact, we should urge them to 'press the flesh' after we send them there.

There's still bailout money waiting to be spent, I like the idea.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am not holding my breath on those Kenya tests...previously they said they DID test positive for Ebola...I smell a coverup.

This news today:

Kenya sets up Ebola center for Migingo visitors

www.nation.co.ke...

Kenyan fishermen and traders had complained that their Ugandan counterparts were trooping to the island in large numbers for fishing but were not being screened due to lack of medical personnel and equipment on the island.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join