It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Link thread for all who want to watch The rover tonight..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am so excited!!!

Am I alone in thinking that a successful 'Curiosity' landing will spark more interest and funding for the Volunteer Manned Mission to Mars?

400 + Volunteer to take one-way trip to Mars, to start colonization

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I cant wait for the manned mission to become a more serious reality either, i just think therell be a lot of "red tape" to get through yet......sadly.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This is a good site, and the Ad at the bottom shows some times. Also the NasaTV stream is on this webpage i linked to

Nasa Site
edit on 5-8-2012 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Same here....but maybe not. I think that allowing interested volunteers to go as the 'test crew' will be best, and the scientist understand that. As they monitor and study the triumphs and problems of the test crew, they will be adjusting to make full fledge colonization possible.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I dont think we'll see colonization in our lifetime, a round trip maybe........but who knows with the speed of todays technological advances.

link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

I agree..

i would like to see a manned mission in my lifetime also..

I will be 52 in a couple o' weeks though..

so might not happen..

but who knows...with private companies working so hard on getting into space..

I might see my dream come true.....maybe....just maybe,,,,

link   

And who knows, maybe by the time they plan on sending the manned mission. There will be new Tech. that could 'revolutionize' space travel. Anythings possible.

Im sure MSL with be able to answer some questions about that possibility. (Manned missions to Mars)

edit on 5-8-2012 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
They will never let any of us leave this planet .... ever...... even space missions are fake , simulators , the astronaughts know no different.................. the world isnt even round , why would they want you to see what it REALLY looks like out there ?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
O.K. everyone..

Live coverage will start at 9:30 PDT..

get your tin foil hats on and lets do this!!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
First pictures should be up within 4 minutes of landing..

hopefully they will be broadcast live also..
edit on 5-8-2012 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

The pictures will be taken four minutes after landing, but those pictures would then need to be uploaded to the Mars Odyssey Orbiter, which is acting as an information relay. The landing site is on the side of mars that will be facing away from earth, thus the need for the satellite relay.

The problem is that four minutes after landing when those pictures are taken, the Mars Odyssey Orbiter could just about be out of range of the rover, so the rover may need to wait for two hours until the mars Odyssey flies over the landing site again before it uploads the images.

If it does manage to relay the image to Odyssey within the first four minutes, that first image will be just a tiny low-resolution (64 pixel x 64 pixel) thumbnail of the ground directly behind the rover taken by the rear hazcam, and will look something like this:

(actual size)

Source

If it is the second pass of Odyssey when the pictures are uploaded, then perhaps we will get to see a slightly higher-res image, but still not really high-res (512 pixels x 512 pixels). The high resolution images will come later -- not on the first night.

edit on 8/5/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
I am so excited!!!

Am I alone in thinking that a successful 'Curiosity' landing will spark more interest and funding for the Volunteer Manned Mission to Mars?

400 + Volunteer to take one-way trip to Mars, to start colonization

sign me up!

id risk my life to do this. i even read something once about a one way mission that didnt involve colonization.

u could find people on earth to even sign up for something like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

awesome contribution to the thread mate.

i love this part from your link.

The next images to be transmitted will come from MARDI, the Mars Descent Imager (above). MARDI will be taking 1,600 x 1,200 pixel color images looking straight down at five frames per second during the descent phase between the separation of the heat shield and touchdown. As with the hazcam images, we're likely to just get thumbnails at first (192 x 144 pixels). The MARDI pics should be coming back at some point on Monday, and it's possible that we'll also get one full resolution MARDI image.

cannot wait to see this

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
o.k. live link is up..

so far they are just talking to people about Mars..

good stuff though..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Will I am is live now..

Black eyed pea guy..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
that would be sweet colonization of mars, Earth politics and law would be all out the window. try and enforce the law of the earths land from that distance

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

It's all about getting public sentiment on their side. They want future funding for their missions as you said. Does this mission even really exist? How would we know if we were conned? Even their own scientists wouldn't know. If it crashes there is another rover somewhere in the desert to link to. Nobody will know until some lizard decides to climb on the rover. Did they need to spend a couple of billion on this program, question the whole thing and not just the inflated costs?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

it land yet or what?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

It said on the news about 11:30 but it said on the live link that it was about two hours yet. I don't know when it is supposed to land. I don't know what timezone the news came from.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I t did not land yet..

you guys even read the thread?

10:31 PDT is the estimated time..

sheesh..

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23
the sad thing about america is not one person i work with out of 120 will even have a clue we just landed a kick butt robot on the surface of mars over night.

I can't agree with you more. Quite depressing when all that people care about is "You see Tony Stewart hit the wall yesterday?" or "I had to crawl under the house this weekend and fix a water leak."

People are so mundane.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join