It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Future Sci-Fi techs they say will never happen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I think every scientist out there should see this article as a personal challenge. Science has always pushed the boundaries of what we know and busted through every speed record they said could not be broken.

For most of these, they claim that "Einsteinian physics" says it can't be done. With the advent of quantum mechanics, many scientists are starting to question the assumptions of Einstein, especially those regarding the existence of aether and super-luminal travel.

10 Futuristic Technologies That Will Never Exist

1. Lightsabers

Aside from the sheer impracticality of this weapon — and not to mention how hazardous it would be to wave one of these around — the Star Wars lightsaber will almost certainly never come to be. The first engineering challenge would be in figuring out a way to stop the beam of light about two feet from the source. Light simply does not work in this way, unless there's something to obstruct or absorb it.

2. Human Teleportation

3. Time machine

Well, according to physicist Michio Kaku, we would need to extract the energy of an entire star or black hole — easier said than done. And then there's the challenge of stabilizing the wormhole and ensuring that the aperture (or wormhole entry point) remains open for the return journey (one way trip into the past, anyone?).

4. Faster than light travel

Unlike time travel, which at least has some (reasonably) viable science behind it, the suggestion that we'll eventually be able to travel faster than the speed of light (FTL) is a clear and present violation of Einsteinian physics.

5. Generation ships

A fundamental problem with this vision, however, is the tremendous scale involved for what should be a rather lean-and-mean expedition. Any ship carrying colonists to another planet would have to be extremely sensitive to resource and material constraints, thus making suspended animation a much more reasonable solution for a large group of colonists.

6. Gravitational shielding

7. Personal force fields

8. Reanimation from cryonic suspension

9. Continuity of consciousness after uploading

10. Infinite data processing

IO9

At the pace science has moved forward in this past century, I believe it is simply foolish to predict that ANY scientific achievement will never come about. There were naysayers for every scientific breakthrough throughout history. If we had listened to them, we would probably all still be riding horses everywhere and treating illness with leaches.

I hope scientists take this article as a personal challenge and set out to prove the author wrong.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Nothing is impossible, Just like how they said flying something that is heavier than air would be impossible.... Fools think they know everything.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I agree with you.. I thoroughly disagree with the limitations some scientists buy based on ancient Einsteinery.. anything is possible when you reach a state of godlike technology.

Whether we SHOULD explore these avenues and in essence play god, or not, is a whole other kettle of fish.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

There is not the slightest indication that [nuclear energy] will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will. - Albert Einstein, 1932.

There are experts of all sorts and in all domains, and we often hear them speak about a subject or another, but we seldom hear them make apologies or we simply forget what they said when they were wrong... see my thread The Experts speak

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Its written by a scifi blogger and not by actual scientists. "They" are not even quoted once, its all compiled by a blogger. No source, just his believes.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Look at all of the tech we do have that 1000, 100, or even 10 years ago many would have never thought of.
Ehhh, I think I would have prefered living back when...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Reanimation from cryonic suspension

theres a lot of people frozen waiting for this. lol

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Look at all of the tech we do have that 1000, 100, or even 10 years ago many would have never thought of.

Just look at the original Star Trek series. Their "future tech" looks absolutely low-tech by today's standards.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I would guarantee that something very similar to light sabers is achievable with lasers, but there would have to be a reflective end cap so it reflected back rather than continuing.

Also in the future I would bet on continuing consciousness/transfering personalities into computers etc being possible.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Damn!

And I was hoping to have a light sabre someday...... and a personal force field so I wouldn't cut my willy off accidentally.

And to be able to travel back in time an hour or so in case I did anyways somehow.....
edit on 5-8-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Just look at the original Star Trek series. Their "future tech" looks absolutely low-tech by today's standards.

Maybe that old star trek tech looks low-tech, but the functionality of that tech is still unmatched today.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

1. Light Sabers - Highly possible but not practical as there are far more efficient tools which could do the same with less technical need. The technologies to do so already exist.

2. Human Teleportation - Teleportation of matter occurred in the early 1980s, successful live teleportation happened about a decade after. I suspect human trials have since occurred successfully. This form was NOT a disassembly/reassembly of matter but rather an entanglement and switch of co-linked spaces.

3. Time Machine - Temporal Dilation devices that create closed short-term loops in the milliseconds, which allow backwards travel of particles exist. Technology to create a bubble of time that accelerates time significantly is something that also exists currently.

4. Faster Than Light Travel - Possible via Trans-hyper travel which moves the ship outside of physical space into a sub-dimension of space-time allows the ship to move vast distances nearly instantly. Once an object moves faster-than-light it becomes "detached" from the universe. Although it is far more efficient energy-wise to utilize trans-hyper travel.

5. Generational Ships - They are essentially small planetoids equipped in a Sphere to provide artificial day/night and propulsion systems based on FTL travel technologies that warp space/time to push/move/navigate the "ship" of sorts. Closed Biospheres, like earth, is already essentially a trans-generational ship moving through space. With technological advancements and modifications to our sphere we could move apart from Sol and venture into the universe.

6. Gravitational Shielding - This has already occurred and was demonstrated about 15 years ago at Redstone in Alabama. It was a female engineer/scientist that created it and upon demonstration the item was able to essentially protect objects from inertial gravitation forces, canceling it out. The company that was formed to market the technology was dissolved soon after and she moved on to other endeavors.

7. Personal Force fields - This is made possible through a type of hyper-conductive nano-polymer that can, at an ultra-fast billionth of a second speed activate to deflect/repel particles from impact. The issue being that it causes the particles to ricochet and the need to recharge an incredibly high power unit after relatively few impacts.

8. Reanimation from Cryogenic Suspension - Already made possible utilizing a form of nano-technology and chemical cocktail injected into the subject prior to freezing. The subject is put into a deep hibernate state prior to being suspended. The technology actually keeps the organic material in near absolute cold through the manipulation of the vibrational molecular movement. The organic material is able to maintain temperature independent of refrigeration technologies and is placed into specialized containers to protect handlers.

9. Continuity of consciousness upon uploading - This is possible through bio-neural computing cores which will house the uploaded data/consciousness which will then interface with a wider "matrix" network nodes.

10. Infinite Data Processing - This is possible through the collapse of space-time into a locked state existing outside of the flow. This already occurs upon death as the mind collapses at the moment of death, compressing space-time into a fractaled infinite loop that takes the last bits of energy and consciousness and puts them into an eternal perceptive state, a sort of after-life. When applied to computing it is possible, especially when the demise of OUR universe allows for the existence of other dimensional realities or parallel universes. Collapse of reality occurs in stages/states that allows for pockets of space-time to exist apart from it. The idea is to transition the computational data from one pocket to another as the universe does, and is then recycled piece by piece.

edit on 5-8-2012 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

Agreed, with the exception of the transporter, food replicator, real space travel, and a bunch of other things.
Our "communicators are days ahead of theirs, heck mine is more powerful than my first computer, and has better graphics!
WE NEED TO GET INTO SPACE TRAVEL!!!
I think that would give humanity the incentive to better our technology and stop blowing each other up!
Until then we continue to be cavemen banging our clubs on the ground...
God I want a transporter!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

1. Lightsabers

Aside from the sheer impracticality of this weapon — and not to mention how hazardous it would be to wave one of these around — the Star Wars lightsaber will almost certainly never come to be. The first engineering challenge would be in figuring out a way to stop the beam of light about two feet from the source. Light simply does not work in this way, unless there's something to obstruct or absorb it.

Actually, Lightsabers were supposedly made by arcing the light around back down into the handle. All we would need to do is figure out how to bend the light back 180 degrees.

And screw how dangerous it could be, I still want one!

Unlike time travel, which at least has some (reasonably) viable science behind it, the suggestion that we'll eventually be able to travel faster than the speed of light (FTL) is a clear and present violation of Einsteinian physics.

Not if you take the ship out of space/time into another dimension.

Just my 2c

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You don't need to travel faster than light (per se) if you can warp space into the right shape.

The only problem is that doing so is really really hard.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-8-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I don't see how you could time travel if you had a specific purpose. You do something you needed to do. You've done it. If you did it, wouldn't that mean you never had to THEREFORE, You wouldn't have had to travel back in time and if you didn't travel back in time..... you get me? I'm not expert though so i'd like clarification of this

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

1. Lightsabers

Probably right, it'd really hard to make it exactly like in the movies, but if you tweak the design to include a "deployable cap" on the end of the "light beam" it may work... idk...

2. Human Teleportation

This is a though one, mainly because of the massive complexity of the process, I wouldn't claim that it is impossible but is certainly hundres of years ahead of us.

3. Time machine
Well, according to physicist Michio Kaku, we would need to extract the energy of an entire star or black hole — easier said than done. And then there's the challenge of stabilizing the wormhole and ensuring that the aperture (or wormhole entry point) remains open for the return journey (one way trip into the past, anyone?).

Time travel annoys me, it's all messy and stuff.

I disagree, i see FTL displacement as a more plausible technology than time travel. I agree that "linear physical motion" faster than light might not be possible, but there certainly are conceptual alternatives that do not require the ship to actually move very fast. And saying that "the engineering problems are many" is moot. We all know that, that's why we have engineers, duh...

5. Generation ships

A fundamental problem with this vision, however, is the tremendous scale involved for what should be a rather lean-and-mean expedition. Any ship carrying colonists to another planet would have to be extremely sensitive to resource and material constraints, thus making suspended animation a much more reasonable solution for a large group of colonists.

Again, he's just saying "it's too hard for our current technology, so it's impossible"... which is illogical to me, we would have to develop hundreds of new technologies and change many things about ourselves in order to make it possible, but that is just "hard" not impossible

6. Gravitational shielding

I'm on the fence with this one. It would require many new things I'm too lazy to think about now...

7. Personal force fields

Hmm.. About this, i see 2 different applications. Inside an atmosphere, yes it could get messy. But in a case of an astronaut doing a "space-walk" I think it may be doable, in a limited manner (ie to deflect radiation, cosmic rays, micrometeorites, etc...)

8. Reanimation from cryonic suspension

Again, teh stupidz.
"It's too hard, too complex for us right now" =/= "it's not possible"

9. Continuity of consciousness after uploading

This one makes no sense, he's just describing a philosophical conundrum, not a scientific impossibility.

10. Infinite data processing

Okay, here I agree. Making something infinite out of finite resources might be tough, Here, have a nobel.

IO9

Interesting thread, OP. I consider myself a "scienty" guy, I think that science has always been the tool that allowed us to bring to reality many of our long-lasting dreams and fantasies.
And I agree that one always need to be "grounded" when trying to extrapolate future tech, but this article is just downright pessimistic, even cynical...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
"...so many centuries after the Creation it is unlikely that anyone could find hitherto unknown lands of any value."

~Committee advising King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain regarding a proposal by Christopher Columbus, 1486~

"The view that the sun stands motionless at the center of the universe is foolish, philosophically false, utterly heretical, because contrary to Holy Scripture. The view that the earth is not the center of the universe and even has a daily rotation is philosophically false, and at least an erroneous belief."

~Holy Office, Roman Catholic Church, ridiculing the scientific analysis that the Earth orbited the Sun in edict of March 5, 1616~

"What, sir, would you make a ship sail against the wind and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I pray you, excuse me, I have not the time to listen to such nonsense."

~Napoleon Bonaparte, when told of Robert Fulton's steamboat, 1800s~

"What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out of locomotives traveling twice as fast as stagecoaches?"

~The Quarterly Review, March edition, 1825~

"Rail travel at high speeds is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia."

~Dionysius Lardner, Professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy at University College, London, and author of The Steam Engine Explained and Illustrated, 1830s~

"The abolishment of pain in surgery is a chimera. It is absurd to go on seeking it...knife and pain are two words in surgery that must forever be associated in the consciousness of the patient."

~Dr. Alfred Velpeau, French surgeon, 1839~

"I watched his countenance closely, to see if he was not deranged ... and I was assured by other senators after he left the room that they had no confidence in it."

~U.S. Senator Smith of Indiana, after witnessing a demonstration of Samuel Morses's telegraph, 1842~

"Well-informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires and that were it possible to do so, the thing would be of no practical value."

~Boston Post, 1865~

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction."

~Pierre Pachet, British surgeon, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872~

"Everyone acquainted with the subject will recognize it as a conspicuous failure."

~Henry Morton, president of the Stevens Institute of Technology, on Edison's~

"The phonograph has no commercial value at all."

~Thomas Edison, American inventor, 1880s~

"We are probably nearing the limit of all we can know about astronomy."

~Simon Newcomb, Canadian-born American astronomer, 1888~

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."

~Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, president of the British Royal Society, 1895~

"If God had intended that man should fly, he would have given him wings."

~Widely attributed to George W. Melville, chief engineer of the U.S. Navy, 1900~

These are only just a few of the multitudes of naysayers through history.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I cannot conceive of cryogenics ever working, cells are damaged when frozen, they break. Having said that, we could find a technology tomorrow that would make it so. I belong to this school of thought:

"If you can imagine it, you can create it. If you dream it, you can become it." ~William Arthur Ward

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
so here is the scary part for me. if you put that all together it basically says we are never going to be able to leave the solar system. man is trapped. now i dont believe that but i think the agenda is to get us to believe it. blot out the night sky with city lights planet wide . stop missions to other bodies by saying there isnt enough money. brainwash us into staying on this prison.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join