It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
A version of slavery still exists in the U.S. to this day.If you define what slavery is philosophically, it is the profit from the stolen sovereignty of another human being. Of course anytime we relate our understanding to the term slavery we get pictures of the African slave trade circa U.S. Civil War, or the Roman pillaging of Gaul and Greece.With that opening I give you a company we should all strive to emulate. Corrections Corporation of America. A private institution that owns 42 correctional facilities in 14 states. As you can see from their website they offer cost savings, innovation, and inmate rehabilitation.

Our company – the first of its kind – was founded in 1983. Our approach to public-private partnership in corrections combines the cost savings and innovation of business with the strict guidelines and consistent oversight of government. This has produced proven results for more than a quarter-century.

CCA benefits America by protecting public safety, employing the best people in solid careers, rehabilitating inmates, giving back to communities, and bringing innovative security to government corrections – all while consistently saving hardworking taxpayers’ dollars.
In a FORM 10-K to the Securities Exchange Commission they explain their business strategy.

Increase Occupancy. Our industry benefits from significant economies of scale, resulting in lower operating costs per inmate as occupancy rates increase. Our management team is pursuing a number of initiatives intended to increase occupancy through obtaining new and additional contracts. We are also focused on renewing and enhancing the terms of our existing contracts. Given our significant number of available beds, we believe we can increase operating cash flow from increased occupancy without incurring significant capital expenditures. During 2005, we completed the construction of approximately 1,500 beds at the Stewart County Correctional Facility and in February 2005, began
Riddle me this. If their business strategy is to increase occupancy, won't that contradict inmate rehabilitation? A good question to ask a representative would be what takes precedence, inmate rehabilitation or increased occupancy?How about what Corrections Corporation of America considers a risk.

Our ability to secure new contracts to develop and manage correctional and detention facilities depends on many factors outside our control. Our growth is generally dependent upon our ability to obtain new contracts to develop and manage new correctional and detention facilities. This possible growth depends on a number of factors we cannot control, including crime rates and sentencing patterns in various jurisdictions and acceptance of privatization.
What could threaten their ability to obtain new contracts?

For instance, any changes with respect to drugs and controlled substances or illegal immigration could affect the number of persons arrested, convicted, and sentenced, thereby potentially reducing demand for correctional facilities to house them.
Well, I guess the next most logical question to ask is have they spent any money lobbying? Of course they have silly. According to this website they have spent $810,000 as of June 30 2012. Notable recipients of donations are as follows.Rick Perry $6,000John Culberson (R-TEX) $6,000Republican Party Of Florida $38,500California Democratic Party $25,500National Republican Congressional Committee $15,530National Republican Senatorial Committee $15,000 Can you say a direct conflict of interest in regards individual civil liberties and profitability demand. This is one of the most dangerous aspects of the privatization of social and civil control measures.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

S&F. This goes back before the 80's.
My brother was in TPS in the 70's. They did exploratory surgery on him [he was 12 yrs old] without parental knowledge, signature, consent, etc. , and he almost died. He was sent there to be rehabilitated.. or so I was told. I was also told that it was mandatory, because of his mis-behavior at school, but later found out that it was my mother and step fathers choice that sent him there. My brother is dead now, but I can assure you that some of the things that went on at this school went beyond slavery.

new topics

join