It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen lifeguard gets $2,600 bill for saving drowning boy's life

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Yosemite Sam

I am voting Ron Paul again this year. No one else even close to my standards out there this election cycle.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by daynight42

I think you've completely missed the point. Nobody is saying that he should get a free ambulance ride for being a hero, we're saying he should get a free ambulance ride because he's a human being. Healthcare should be for everyone, regardless of what they've done or how much they can pay.

Fine, then say that, because there are two different types of objections here. Some people are objecting on completely different grounds. That is why I asked.

I never missed any point. I asked for the reason to be clarified because it was not clear or stated at all.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This headline is misleading. It should read "Off Duty Life Guard is Injured While Saving Boy, Gets Screwed Like All Uninsured Americans"

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
At he bottom of the article was the follow up that told of how his bills had been paid by donations from the community. It has a happy ending.

www.koinlocal6.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I take exception to your "tow truck driver" remark! My husband has been driving tow truck for over 40 years and has never even come close to charging what other companies do. He once took a calf in payment when the guy couldn't pay, he's taken a broken lawn tractor as payment, he's done 90 mile tows for $40, and when necessary and right done them for just his gas. They aren't all rip offs!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well, now you know why no-one helps strangers anymore.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by cahlmac

Excuse me, but you sir are an idiot. I'm assuming by that ridiculous comment you made you have never swam in the surf. I'd be surprised if you'd actually seen the ocean before from what you've been saying.

Well, since you are wondering.. I have lived within 5 miles of the Gulf since 1992 or so and have spent many, many hours swimming/surfing in the Ocean, prior to that, I was in the Coast Guard for a few years.. I am very familiar with the sea.
Idiot

edit on 5-8-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

Okay buddy, I believe you! And I've spent 30 years living 50 yards from the coast in the most northerly part of Ireland. I know how much it can hurt getting caught up in the surf and bashed against the shore.

Anyway...............

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

OK, I'll take exception to my statement. I was really referring to the ones that are kind of larger than just a single person...the ones with multiple trucks. Those are usually run by someone who can't or doesn't play favorites or take sides...they're just there to make money.

I've heard even worse stories about certain towing companies having "relationships" with Universities where they routinely call the same company in exchange for that company routinely "policing" the tow-away zones.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Only in America!

In my country, the kid would be hero, both get gifts presented from the "visiting" PM (popular campaign + looks good), the hospital would give free medical to the saved (popular campaign + free advertising), media goes on for days about this (popular campaign) and everybody would be happy.

Its all opportunities if you look at it from a different ways, but in America they choose to...

Only in America!

First world country, stupidity at its best. (Hey, its proven factor isnt it ? What else you call this)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
He went to the hospital and got admitted as a patient, after doing something on his own time, which was not covered under his work insurance. Hospitals are not charity organizations, they are businesses, they operate on funding without which they would not exist.

Profit beats basic Human decency?

Letting one hero off is not going to destroy the entire health industry in America. Yes, people who make stupid decisions resulting in requiring medical aid should have to pay for that service.

But a kid, saving another kids LIFE, is still not worthy of a break?

Screw charity! **** Humanity! Where's my freakin' check!

Threads like this remind me of why I LOVE our National Health Service, and why it totally spanks the American corporate health industry and put it on its ass!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by My_Reality

It would have been a non-issue in times past my ass. In saner times he would have been awarded a medal of some sort. Been labeled a hero, and probably been humble enough to deny it. We are not living in sane times these days. "How dare you do anything good without being paid for it!"

Perhaps you missed my point(or perhaps not, it is hard to discern the tone of ones words through a computer screen). I was not referring to the young mans actions as a non-issue. I was referring to how his actions in days gone by would have resulted in him being awarded the very things you describe. Not so in the present day. This guy saved another human being from drowning and is being billed for it! Absurd!

In any case I have to agree that we are living in an insane modern world.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Remember, this is the system you want. If this had happened in most other countries around the world he would have been seen by the Paramedics, taken to the hospital, treated and not have to pay a single penny. The lifeguard would probably have been bought a pint too, I know I would if he saved my son.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join