It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you folks help me out and check out a song of mine? (One man band).

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Just watched and commented/liked on YT.This is amazing and this past year has been the worst of my life and this moved me and I can relate.I just turned 47 not long ago and I love the lyrics and music just the same--music and art is universal,ageless and timeless and I thank you so very much for having the courage to share your creation with others and open yourself to public opinion.
I hope the process has been a catharsis for you and the first in a long line of amazing creations.Most things (to me) that are popular in music do not move me and This right here is something I would not only listen to--but turn up LOUD!!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by amrith777

Thank you. A catharsis. Exactly.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Does anyone notice any digital glitches anywhere in the song?

I can hear them. I hope you guys can't...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I was expecting crap, but this is really good stuff. Honestly, you have potential to be quite successful, and a lot of new artists lack that at the beginning. It reminds me a lot of the first time I heard Linkin Park– I know they're sort of too popular for their own good now, but right when they came out I remember going to a record store and buying their album for $7.99 in the up and coming artist section. I loved it because was rock with that electronic edge to it, a sort of new style of music at the time and one that is still tough to do well.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MentalPriapism

I'm Alternative Rock, but I love to throw strings in over a distorted guitar riff. Or even a clean.

Strings and rock sound really good. More people are starting to do it.

This song (the verses) is bland, but if you can make it to the second verse, I add strings and it sounds really cool. Then at the end the strings just go crazy:

Not my best song and it was recorded years ago, but I always dig the strings. Real cutting edge. I just wish I could make that song more interesting (this one, not the one in the OP - I'm more than happy with the way it came out). If you like that, check out my song "Dropped", also on Youtube and also with strings (in the choruses).

Thanks for the post.

And I've been recording since I was 18. I'm 32 now. So if something was ever to come about with my music, now would definitely be the time while I'm still young.
edit on 8/4/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Sorry to keep bumping, but here's a playlist I put together:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I loved your music! It's a more similar style to what my sons in their twenties listen to, but I listen to literally anything and always discover hidden gems. You are very talented. As a musician myself, I can imagine the kind of work you put into this. You seem very detail oriented

Loved the chording, the way you blended different voice tracks, timing was pristine. Had no problem with the lyrics and could totally appreciate the mood, emotions conveyed, and it was UNDERSTANDABLE both in your enunciation and lyrical composition.

I surely hope you can get some attention to your obvious passion for music. I don't know anyone in the business, but am smart enough to know that networking on Facebook and Twitter can really expose your work to people who are in a position to promote your work. I have a creative type biz and only use those services for that purpose. Hooking up with like minded musicians and others can present an opportunity from time to time but it's easy to be swallowed up in that aspect. It's a lot like fishing and can take valuable time away from your craft.

Are you looking at mostly a studio career if this took off for you? Movie soundtracks? Writing for other bands? Just curious. Even if this is something you only do for yourself, it's very valuable so keep it going. I was raised basically playing in a symphonic orchestra and it's been many years but still play piano and have tickled the idea of writing or teaching but even if I never do, music is a life force for me. Could not live without it.

I'll be sharing this with many for sure and subscribing to your channel on YT. Very well done and a big, fat, juicy star and flag with a sincere thanks for sharing your work.

P.S. I'd love to hear you mix with symphonic sounds!
edit on 8/4/2012 by shockedonlooker because: saw your channel link above, thanks!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think you did a great job; your songs are good quality and there is a market for this type of music.

I listened to it the initial song, and I don't claim to love it, because that style of music just doesn't float my boat... but I honestly think you could be successful.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Put as many guitar and vocal layers on as you can, without it sounding ridiculous.

You need at LEAST two vocal layers and at LEAST two guitar layers, I would say more like five or six.

The hi-hat sounds just a bit unpleasant in the high end. You might want to mellow it out just a tad. Of course, this is just a matter of opinion

The good news is, aside from that, it sounds pretty rad! It's just a little too dry. Reverb will help too.

Of course, if you were going for a less-produced, more live and natural sound, then you nailed it. Kudos. I was just looking at this piece in the context of mainstream production techniques.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RGIII
Put as many guitar and vocal layers on as you can, without it sounding ridiculous.

You need at LEAST two vocal layers and at LEAST two guitar layers, I would say more like five or six.

The hi-hat sounds just a bit unpleasant in the high end. You might want to mellow it out just a tad. Of course, this is just a matter of opinion

The good news is, aside from that, it sounds pretty rad! It's just a little too dry. Reverb will help too.

Of course, if you were going for a less-produced, more live and natural sound, then you nailed it. Kudos. I was just looking at this piece in the context of mainstream production techniques.

There are FIVE guitars playing at once at some points. At the least, there are 2 and 4.

I always layer. I play a rhythm guitar track, pan it to the left, and play the same thing on another track and pan that to the right.

When the song kicks off (when the band comes in), there are 5 guitars at once: 2 distorted rhythm guitars(Left and Right speakers at 90%), 2 Clean guitars (Panned L & R at 60%), and a lead guitar in the center.

When I harmonize my vocals and have two or three of me singing different harmonies, I follow the same plan - The low vocals doubled and panned to the inside (about 10% on both sides) and the higher harmonies panned left and right at about 70%. I make a soundscape and a wall of sound. That's how you get a good, clean mix.

I agree about the hi-hat, though.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Bro, you rock. I love it. Hope this little note of inspiration helps - you have great talent!

CJ

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Everybody, thank you so much.

Because of your interest, I have decided to upload a video that I have showed NO ONE.

It's of my friend and I jamming back in 2002.

I'm playing drums, and he's singing and playing the guitar. The text after the video is copied from the Youtube video info (I'm not re-writing all of that!). You might want to read it before watching, but if you have time, please check it out. It's interesting! And we were awful! - But the drum set did suck and we were young (well, I was 22 at the time). Excuses, excuses. Regardless, his songs are great. Look past the horribleness of the video and our crappy gear!

3 songs and a jam:
Here's something I thought I would never upload! I'm on drums and my friend is playing the guitar and singing. A few things you should know first before watching:
This was 10 years ago. I have gotten much better at drumming since.
Also, the set was CRAP. 1 crash cymbal (I need at least 2), 1 bass pedal which was hard to play with - (the response sucked, plus I am way more comfortable with and can do more with a double bass pedal), and crappy heads. The drum kit was bought for $100 (used) - it was so cheap (used).

Now the songs: The first was I thought was a jam so I went along with it. It was the first time I heard what turned out to be one of his songs about his friend who died tragically only a few months before. I'm surprised I caught onto that song the way I did. I was able to predict where he was going because I know him so well. That's the first song. It was for his friend Devon (aka Mad Max) - RIP. That song (we call it "Devon's Song") is amazing, and I wish he would let me record it for him and make it sound nice, but he's very moody and obstinant. He has a lot of mental issues, so working with him in the first place is challenging.

The second song is/was called "Limit", and I only played it once before this video was filmed. Great song in my opinion, but I messed up at the first chorus, not to mention how sloppy I was because of the kit.

The third song was my friend's attempt to cover "My Sacrifice" by Creed, and my pathetic attempt at following it. It was a new song, so both of us didn't really know it too well.

After that, fast forward a bit because he's tuning and I forgot to edit that out.

After the tuning we just started jamming. I was heavier (I had to have been about 210 there. Now I weigh 185) at the time and not used to playing drums, so I was falling behind a lot towards the end. You can see it in my face - I was getting tired and was sweating like a pig. I felt like a fat man running the marathon!

Enjoy! The first two are great songs, and I wish we could re-do them, but my friend says he doesn't remember how to play the first song and even if he did, he wouldn't because it's touchy (Devon meant a lot to him). The second song Limit still exists and we were just playing it a few months ago.

We've all gotten much better in the 10 years since this was filmed. And my friend is a great singer, but he was having an off day when this was shot. If you can get past the crummy quality of everything and just hear the songs for what they are, I'm sure you will agree that they are awesome.

Once again - I am completely aware of how sloppy I am on drums. Like I said, this was ten years ago and the drum kit was AWFUL to play.

Here are the approximate times for the songs:
Devon's Song (3 seconds in)
Limit (4:18)
Creed - My Sacrifice (8:34) - AWFUL!
Cool Jam - 15:13

Epic parts at 2:51 and 6:55.

Hehe - I can't believe I posted that! You're all the first to see it besides my friend and I!

edit on 8/5/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

It's really good! You should consider putting it on I-tunes for download. I would definitely buy it. Let me know if you do, please and thank you.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by U4ea82

It's really good! You should consider putting it on I-tunes for download. I would definitely buy it. Let me know if you do, please and thank you.

Sure. I think it costs like $10 to put it on i-tunes, so I'll have to scrounge the money up somewhere. I'm poor and in between jobs, but thank you for the idea! Or I can just give you the high quality mp3 if you want.

It's not about the money with me, even though I am broke and jobless. I'd rather do the right thing, but then again, if putting it on itunes will get me exposure, then I'll borrow the money if I have to.

But since it's your idea, would you like a free, complimentary high-quality MP3?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Whoa! Firstly, your voice is da bomb!

And the "one man band" sounds real nice and grungy,

Perhaps we could do something about the lyrics though. Same thing happened to me when I made songs. We're the same you see, one man band and all...

I always failed to see how my lyrics wouldn't fit the beat, as if it were out of touch and feel. Then when I hear the song again after a few years, i finally get to understand what my critics talk about. Usually, we tend to use heavy words because we like to express our intellect. BUT MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT LIKE THAT.Sadly, it;s like making a power point presentation to a board of directors, you gotta be concise, straight to the point, and simple. u know d saying "keep it simple stupid".

The lyrics should slide right it fit and snug. I guess we have writers or rappers here who could help. I know I can't coz we got the same prob. Nonetheless, I feel above top greatness potential for this song, How about an ATS anthem dude?

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

It sounds good but it's definitely a bit dry. I didn't hear you mention reverb...

It might even be that the mix is TOO clean... maybe a synth pad or a shaker?

Of course, it's all subjective!
edit on 5-8-2012 by RGIII because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RGIII

It sounds good but it's definitely a bit dry. I didn't hear you mention reverb...

It might even be that the mix is TOO clean... maybe a synth pad or a shaker?

Of course, it's all subjective!
edit on 5-8-2012 by RGIII because: (no reason given)

Can a main mix get reverb? I don't know... You really think it sounds too dry? It is compressed nicely, I'll tell you that much.

I have some synth mimicking the second verse. It's real low, though... I was thinking of putting more in, but the song has a lot going on already.

I tried to make it so this song has a surprise around every corner - something new. I was looking to build it nicely. It definitely progresses. I even implemented a key-change - something I thought I would NEVER be able to do but I pulled it off. Didn't I? It's at the last chorus.

Thanks for the feedback.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by headb
Whoa! Firstly, your voice is da bomb!

And the "one man band" sounds real nice and grungy,

Perhaps we could do something about the lyrics though. Same thing happened to me when I made songs. We're the same you see, one man band and all...

I always failed to see how my lyrics wouldn't fit the beat, as if it were out of touch and feel. Then when I hear the song again after a few years, i finally get to understand what my critics talk about. Usually, we tend to use heavy words because we like to express our intellect. BUT MOST PEOPLE WILL NOT LIKE THAT.Sadly, it;s like making a power point presentation to a board of directors, you gotta be concise, straight to the point, and simple. u know d saying "keep it simple stupid".

The lyrics should slide right it fit and snug. I guess we have writers or rappers here who could help. I know I can't coz we got the same prob. Nonetheless, I feel above top greatness potential for this song, How about an ATS anthem dude?

I don't know about an ATS anthem, but I would like to stop writing about me so much and start writing about real things, like conspiracies, space, science, philosophy, etc.

Unfortunately I consider my lyrics sub-par. I'm not singer by nature at all - I'm a guitarist. It took a long time to get to where I am vocally, and I still have a million light-years to go.

So anyways, what were you saying - that my lyrics to my song fit or they don't? I think I out-did myself with the lyrics to this song. I really dug deep. And it was painful but relieving to get them out to the public.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by shockedonlooker
I loved your music! It's a more similar style to what my sons in their twenties listen to, but I listen to literally anything and always discover hidden gems. You are very talented. As a musician myself, I can imagine the kind of work you put into this. You seem very detail oriented

Loved the chording, the way you blended different voice tracks, timing was pristine. Had no problem with the lyrics and could totally appreciate the mood, emotions conveyed, and it was UNDERSTANDABLE both in your enunciation and lyrical composition.

I surely hope you can get some attention to your obvious passion for music. I don't know anyone in the business, but am smart enough to know that networking on Facebook and Twitter can really expose your work to people who are in a position to promote your work. I have a creative type biz and only use those services for that purpose. Hooking up with like minded musicians and others can present an opportunity from time to time but it's easy to be swallowed up in that aspect. It's a lot like fishing and can take valuable time away from your craft.

Are you looking at mostly a studio career if this took off for you? Movie soundtracks? Writing for other bands? Just curious. Even if this is something you only do for yourself, it's very valuable so keep it going. I was raised basically playing in a symphonic orchestra and it's been many years but still play piano and have tickled the idea of writing or teaching but even if I never do, music is a life force for me. Could not live without it.

I'll be sharing this with many for sure and subscribing to your channel on YT. Very well done and a big, fat, juicy star and flag with a sincere thanks for sharing your work.

P.S. I'd love to hear you mix with symphonic sounds!
edit on 8/4/2012 by shockedonlooker because: saw your channel link above, thanks!

I'm sorry - I missed your post!

I'm doing the music for myself, but if something happens, I'll take it. But I won't squander money like other do/have.

Thanks for sharing the video and liking it - it's things like this I need done from kind people like yourselves.
Thanks again yeah, I think you explained it in your edit that you saw my YT channel where I have 2 other songs with strings ("I've had enough" and "Dropped".

I agree - strings sound great with rock music. I remember when that was unheard of and people would laugh at you if you talked about someone like Metallica having strings or a symphony backing them up.

Funny how things change. I love the string over distorted power chords - as in the song "Dropped". But the other one, "I've had enough" has a lot of strings. I had to do something to make the song sound more interesting. And it's still bland!

It's all good, though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join