It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drought May Cause Major Earth Quake In Mid West

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Not to ring alarm bells, but the drying up of the Mississippi River concerns me in two ways which no one else seems to be discussing. First, the shear weight of the absent water between St. Louis and Memphis might have an affect on the New Madrid Fault. I don't know a lot about tectonics, but my simple understanding is that two plates pushing on each other will eventually cause one to slip up or down with tremendous force. So, you would think if trillions of tons were lifted off the fault (water absent from the rive) that it might make that happen. Just a thought. Second, probably all of the big metropolitan areas along the Mississippi River get their drinking water from the river. As the river level drops to staggering lows municipalities are going to have to stop pumping from the river. This almost was the case around St. Louis years ago and the levels now are lower than then. Could you imagine the panic if say a city of several hundred thousand announced they were out of water? Now imagine 5 or 10 such cities. The coming days, not weeks, could be a real challenge for humanity.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This was actually discussed not too long ago on ATS.

I'll see if I can find the thread for you.

Here it is:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a recent associated thread as well:

Mississippi River Closed Due To Drought
edit on 3-8-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I think youre mostly right. Removing this tremendous amount of weight from the area will flex the plate. This flexing will cause stress which causes quakes. We have seen a lot of minor quakes in the new madrid seismic zone. All those quakes in oklahoma, wisconsin, missouri, etc are related to new madrid. The sky noises. Trees falling down for no reason in kalamazoo mi. That crack that opened up in that guys yard in upper michigan. The "380 michigan rebels killed in alpena" lol.

New madrid is awake, we will see a big one i believe.

However, this is not the edge of two plates. This is the center of one, and there is no clearly defined fault line. Its an active seismic zone.

I slept in new madrid county the last two nights. The area always makes me uncomfortable...

Everyone in the country should be prepped for new madrid. The big one will be guaranteed to destroy most if not all bridges crossing the mississippi. It will permanently alter geography. Areas that are currently cities may become lakes. Power outages in the entire midwest will last for months.

I keep a few bug out items in my tractor and in my car and house for the event. I spend a lot of time in the middle of the new madrid seismic zone and often cross it. I will likely be stranded where i am when it happens, and thats alright.

new topics

join