It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Internet and it role in our social and maybe physical evolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Well first off not sure if this is in the right forum but what I'm talking about is pretty metaphysical and just fun guessing. So I saw a post about how the Internet stunts our social growth by limiting our direct contact with our fellow man. Anyways it got me thinking about what role the Internet will play in our evolution, both social and physical. I have a co-worker and we often talk about a variety of topics and one was the singularity.

Now from the differing theories I've heard about it(not sure which is mainstream so forgive me if I get this wrong and go ahead and correct) but its when man and machine become one. He said that were scientist are working on the ability to put our consciousness into a computer and augmenting our bodies with machines isn't to far off either from what I've heard. Now theres also the possibility that humans undergo a biological evolution too whether naturally or artificially(genetic multiplication isn't that far off either).

Your prolly wondering where I'm going with this and how the Internet plays a part in all this. The Internet is a collective of nearly all our art, knowledge, ideas and a constant no-stop forum of communication between a good portion of human beings. If humans take the route of mechanical evolution then would the very thing your on right now serve as a sort of hive mind? A single conciseness between all humans? Or would we maintain it as it is a forum of communication and trading of ideals? Could it be the foundation of a mechanical society.

If we go a biological evolution what purpose could the Internet serve us? A conduit to serve for a possible single government for us to communicate through? Or would we abandon technology or transcend it?

Anyways this thoughts of mine have no bases in fact really, just some fun guessing and pondering of mine. Was wondering what ATS thought our possible future could hold and what role the Internet will play it it if at all.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I don't see how it will affect physical evolution. Also I think human evolution will/has slowed dramatically due to our numbers and not needing to fight for survival. I definitely think it will continue to change our culture, social habits and the way we think though.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

so if you think it will change our social habits and the way we think , wouldn't that be like mental evolution?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by 420smokiesmalls

so if you think it will change our social habits and the way we think , wouldn't that be like mental evolution?

Well you could call it that, but it's not evolution because it's totally down to social conditioning.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

i must say i agree , because evolution is an entirely different subject ... i started second guessing my post as soon as i posted it.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
You technically can't say anything for sure one way or another about the future of evolution...evolution responds to circumstances, and the outcome of brand new circumstances cannot be predicted past evolutionary trends...maybe evolution is speeding up...maybe something as mind-altering as the internet COULD have some sort of actual evolutionary affect...

just playing devil's advocate here...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

Great topic.

I think physically, the internet will have a detrimental effect on memory and brain function. Rather than exercise our brain power and remember something, we google it. Rather than think and speak for ourselves, we copy and paste the thoughts and words of others. I am worried about the effect it has on brain health.

The internet also perpetuates the hive mind. Ideas are passed around quicker, and enthusiasm ensues. This carries over to real life. Internet bullying, which could be rightly classified as merely words on a screen, are taken as attacks on oneself. People are committing suicide over words on a screen when they should be discarding them as someones opinionated nonsense.

edit on 3-8-2012 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Wow you pretty much summed up my exact feelings on the internet. It has its goods, but also many bad things. I've discussed with a friend about how the internet is actually making us dumber because we just go online and google instead of looking for the answers ourselves. Why take the effort to learn and remember something when you can easily find it online?

Browsing the internet a lot also seems to cause short attention span as well. It's so easily to just jump around from one page to another. So much information is available and can easily be reached. Many things online are just pure garbage. Before, if you want to write and distribute something, it has to be good. Now, anyone can put anything online. Things are put online without much thought or any research put into them.

There's also a sense of urgency when you browse the internet or post on forums. It's hard to sit back to contemplate and do research when you're living in such a hectic world.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
some info on the singularity yudkowsky.net...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
also bit more in depth facingthesingularity.com...

new topics

top topics

join