It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSM pulls Olympic race card, disgusting!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
All I can say is that if there was an event that a Caucasian won gold in for the first time ever the media wouldn't dare point it out.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

OP, seriously, its not all that long ago, African Americans were slaves and suffered greatly.

The Olympics reflects a new era, were those "barriers" are now down, although "mentally" for some, they may still have those barriers, and they wish to allow there performance in the games, to show everybody how EQUAL they really are.

I find it very wrong that you feel you can speak on behalf of those Olympians, when I guess your just a regular caucasian sitting behind your computer screen. The Olympics is a grand stage for all scores to be settled.

I'd eat my hat if the Olympian in question took offence to being named as the first African American to win in her competition.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Stating your ethnicity IS NOT RACISM. Stating your ethnicity is better, is racism. Geese peeps, we wonder why the worlds so backwards.

People in the US WILL call Phelps a racist though for stating in his winning speech " I'm a white American...." making skin colour an important part.

It really doesn't matter the definition of racist. That's nit-picking.

My point is using skin colour helps create division, when at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what colour of skin you have.

As for her "African" heritage, why mention that? She's American born?

I'm British and can trace my roots back to another Country, should I be promoting that as making me different to every other Brit?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

OP, seriously, its not all that long ago, African Americans were slaves and suffered greatly.

The Olympics reflects a new era, were those "barriers" are now down, although "mentally" for some, they may still have those barriers, and they wish to allow there performance in the games, to show everybody how EQUAL they really are.

I find it very wrong that you feel you can speak on behalf of those Olympians, when I guess your just a regular caucasian sitting behind your computer screen. The Olympics is a grand stage for all scores to be settled.

I'd eat my hat if the Olympian in question took offence to being named as the first African American to win in her competition.

Actually, I hardly think I am speaking on behalf of those Olympians. In fact, I was pointing out how it was the MSM who were the ones to make sure to point out the race of said athletes. Here's the specific quotes:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I really don't care what race people are personally, but you can be sure that you will be reminded of that by the MSM constantly...ever wonder why? Who cares what color these people are, or what race they are...they are human like you and me.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Here's something I've always wondered. What are black people referred to as in other parts of the world? Here in the USA the politically correct term is African American, what is the correct term in say in Britain? Are black people referred to as British Africans or just considered Brits?

What about white people who are from Jamaica? Are they Caucasian Jamaicans or just Jamaicans? Are black people in Jamaica considered African Jamaicans or just Jamaicans?

So what if the women's gymnastics all around gold medalists would have been a black girl from Britain, what would the media have said then?

I'm with the OP on this one, I'm tired of being reminded by the media of skin color and accomplishments. If the individual performer is proud of that then fine but it doesn't have to be embellished in the media.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by Sinny

Stating your ethnicity IS NOT RACISM. Stating your ethnicity is better, is racism. Geese peeps, we wonder why the worlds so backwards.

People in the US WILL call Phelps a racist though for stating in his winning speech " I'm a white American...." making skin colour an important part.

It really doesn't matter the definition of racist. That's nit-picking.

My point is using skin colour helps create division, when at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what colour of skin you have.

As for her "African" heritage, why mention that? She's American born?

I'm British and can trace my roots back to another Country, should I be promoting that as making me different to every other Brit?

Ohh now we live in a world were your "Racist" even if your NOT aha.

Sounds like the Anti-Defamation league are succeding in turning everybodies brain to mush.

Never mind aye? Il leave you Americans to it, and hope its long while until your habits of throwing out the dictionary arrive across the pond

edit on 3-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I'm a Brit.

You can twaddle on about the definition of a word until the cows some home.

The fact is the term racism "is used by most people" to describe what I'm referring to.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Actually it is a matter of fact. It is we the people who must make of it what we will. Frankly I find the best part of the Olympics was the Opening show.

As a black person I am proud that she is the first because it is good to see ALL RACES competing for their country. Honestly have bigger racial problems at home and abroad.

Why is the scrutiny so onesided??? i.e. the policing of blacks??

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
reply to post by Sinny

I'm a Brit.

You can twaddle on about the definition of a word until the cows some home.

The fact is the term racism "is used by most people" to describe what I'm referring to.

Well then, you of all people should be using the Oxford definition, and if your a Brit, how can you comment on what the Americans do and dont do? Especially calling them out as racists

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
OP, and fellow Brit above, please address my question :

Say that was me on the Podium, and the commentator said, "First young Celt to win in this competetion",

Would you have made this thread then, because he refered to *my* ethnicity?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

Actually it is a matter of fact. It is we the people who must make of it what we will. Frankly I find the best part of the Olympics was the Opening show.

As a black person I am proud that she is the first because it is good to see ALL RACES competing for their country. Honestly have bigger racial problems at home and abroad.

Why is the scrutiny so onesided??? i.e. the policing of blacks??

HERE. PROUD. NUFF SAID.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
They have insulted all African American's, whoever said this should be sacked and fined

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
FFS, who cares?

Regardless of her race she's done great getting an Olympic medal and deserves an enormous amount of credit for that.

As usual with these sort of things it's all about context.
Nothing derogatory was said and as far as I can tell there's no hidden agenda etc.

Simple fact of the matter is that she IS the first 'African American' to win gold in that particular event.
No amount of PC driven pussy footing around the facts will alter that.

Instead of looking at the negative of this people should concentrate on the positive - previously 'African-Americans' haven't really taken up gymnastics, this could be portrayed as how far American society has progressed over the last 4 or 5 decades.
Hopefully this success will inspire other 'African Americans' to take up the sport.

And maybe America should be asking itself why 'African Americans' aren't inclined to take part in gymnastics?

Hopefully some day we'll be able to mention people's colour / race etc without racist overtones or apparent insecure hang up's etc.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Anytime the MSM specifically goes out of their way to mention a certain race you should pay attention...and care, and ask yourself why? Just like one previous poster pointed out...why didn't they say "Phelps is the first Caucasian American to win more medals than anyone" ...?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by drbatstein
They have insulted all African American's, whoever said this should be sacked and fined

This threads completely baffling me
how's it insulting to say "First African American to win" ??

We've had input from a black person who said they are *proud*.

Isn't it more insulting that you think its insulting to be proud of being African American?

Or am I really on another planet?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
FFS, who cares?

Regardless of her race she's done great getting an Olympic medal and deserves an enormous amount of credit for that.

As usual with these sort of things it's all about context.
Nothing derogatory was said and as far as I can tell there's no hidden agenda etc.

Simple fact of the matter is that she IS the first 'African American' to win gold in that particular event.
No amount of PC driven pussy footing around the facts will alter that.

Instead of looking at the negative of this people should concentrate on the positive - previously 'African-Americans' haven't really taken up gymnastics, this could be portrayed as how far American society has progressed over the last 4 or 5 decades.
Hopefully this success will inspire other 'African Americans' to take up the sport.

And maybe America should be asking itself why 'African Americans' aren't inclined to take part in gymnastics?

Hopefully some day we'll be able to mention people's colour / race etc without racist overtones or apparent insecure hang up's etc.

Seconded.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

They generally don't have the best body structure to take up gymnastics. Gymnastics, short and light people have a huge advantage. Tall people have a huge advantage in basketball, fat people have a huge advantage at sumo wrestling.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by drbatstein

This threads completely baffling me
how's it insulting to say "First African American to win" ??

We've had input from a black person who said they are *proud*.

Isn't it more insulting that you think its insulting to be proud of being African American?

Or am I really on another planet?

Because this post is about how the MSM made a concious effort to point out her race....and as far as I know from watching all of the Olympics so far they didn't do that for Phelps or any other races that have won....what about Missy Franklin? She is a Caucasian American who won gold yet they did not point out her race...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Since it's the Olympics, the only thing that should really matter is which country you represent.
Adding "First African American" to this medal is just creating a separation.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

what about Missy Franklin? She is a Caucasian American who won gold yet they did not point out her race...

Was she the first Caucasian American to win Gold in her event?

Since when has stating a sporting fact been considered "disgusting racism"?

Here's another sporting fact Viv Anderson was the first black footballer to represent England in an International game.....nothing racist in the slightest, just a sporting fact.

Talk about blowing things out of proportion!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join