It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Problem with Greer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+56 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
There have been a few recent Steven Greer threads, some of which have disappeared. They usually wind up with a lot of sarcastic posts. A recent OP lamented this treatment of Greer and wanted a civil discussion. I’d like to address why Greer is treated that way here, especially for folks new to Greer who wonder what all the fuss is about.

Years ago, when I first encountered Greer after the original National Press Club event in 2001, I, too, was initially impressed. Here was an articulate man, well-educated, seemingly sincere, who had pulled off a marvelous conference designed to shake loose the government’s intransigence about “Disclosure.” It was only later that I came across Greer’s problems, his many fabrications, his many tall stories. So I have some sympathy for people who have newly discovered Greer who have not yet been made aware of the issues.

We have covered Greer on ATS countless times with dozens of threads and thousands of posts. The overwhelming conclusion is that Greer is a fraud. He has no credibility. His claims are outlandish. Perhaps most of all, he NEVER follows through. Whether it’s a zero point energy device that will save the world or a Meet & Greet with a live alien, or an expensive “DNA analysis,” it just never quite happens, though it will Real Soon Now. And it’s not as if we haven’t given him time. It’s been over ten years.

And you can be sure that if Greer is involved, so too will be money. Whether it’s $700 for his “Ambassador to the Universe Training Program” or donations so he can publish his next tell-all movie, Sirius, sure to shake the world to its foundation, or a camping trip into the woods where he puts on a light show designed to “vector in” UFOs, you can be sure it will only set you back a few hundred dollars. Oh, and you have to sign an agreement that if you are abducted by aliens during one of these sessions you will not hold Greer responsible (presuming you manage to return, of course.)

Probably one of the more famous Greerisms is “Mothra.” Someone posted several pictures of Mothra on Greer’s web site and claimed it was an “angelic light being.” The webmistress hotly defended Mothra for a few days, after which Mothra was removed. It’s been posted numerous times, but—sigh— here it is again.

Greer’s latest is the old alien in the refrigerator schtick which we’ve seen before. “Dr” Kenneth Reed tried this as have several Bigfoot hunters. But Greer doesn’t have a “possible” alien in a freezer, but at an elite university lab which has expressed interest in “working with” Greer on this issue. Which lab? Don’t know. Which university? Don’t know. All this stuff is very secretive.

Greer has also claimed to hold an alien baby in his arms. He said he was attacked by “scalar weapons” nobody else saw. He says he was at the border when a Mexican patrol came around and aimed rifles at him, but some UFOs flew overhead causing the soldiers to put down their weapons and play guitars. You can't make this stuff up.

In another incident Greer claims to have “briefed" the head of the CIA, R. James Woolsey, on UFOs. The Woolsey’s disagree:

It has just come to the attention of the four of us that you have, without giving any of us the opportunity to comment, published a distorted account of a dinner party of some six years ago at which the four of us, you, and your wife were seated together.

In the introduction to your book, Extraterrestrial Contact, published earlier this year you portray this dinner party conversation during which the four of us listened to your views and politely asked questions as a “briefing” with a “cover story.” You further assert that Mr. and Mrs. Woolsey reported a UFO sighting to you and agreed with your views. You include specific alleged quotations from them.

None of this is accurate. You have portrayed politeness as acquiesceance and questions as affirmations. Your conduct in this manner contravenes both accuracy and simple manners.”

Signed: John L Peterson, Diane C Peterson, R. James Woolsey, Suzanne H Woolsey, Sep 16, 1999

Source: www.ufowatchdog.com...

There is plenty of information out there on this site and elsewhere. Greer himself has published several books, including "Hidden Truth; forbidden knowledge" where he makes his case. But the sad fact is that he has over ten years of documented history as a charlatan and a fraud. He tells a good story, but he has never produced anything of note, never disclosed his energy device, never produced an alien (other than Mothra), and never done anything except take your money. Greer can stand alongside Billy Meier, Kenneth Reed, Dan Burisch, and a host of other people who have done much to harm the study of UFOs and nothing to help it. They prey on the gullibly hopeful, and it's a shame.

I would strongly suggest that people new to Greer do a little homework before launching into a diatribe against people who criticize Greer. There is a reason they do, and if you can puzzle though it, you will be less likely to embarrass yourself.
edit on 8/2/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Greer has also claimed to hold an alien baby in his arms. He said he was attacked by “scalar weapons” nobody else saw.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Good and necessary thread schuyler

Maybe those who don't know of Captain Beefcakes exploits will come to know him as we do with the information posted on this thread

edit on 2-8-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Thank you Schuyler for posting this thread. It needed doing.

I've seen, and posted, in some of the threads you spoke of. Mostly threads a member has posted with the current Greer newsletter sent via email, with large claims. But, always near the end of the letter, stating that more funding is needed to follow through on his latest earth shattering claim.

I'm glad that members who know little of Greer, see him for what he is, through your thread. You've done a great service to the field of Ufology.....

Des

edit on 2-8-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I truly experience mind-boggling moments when I try and comprehend how a person can tell such blatant whoppers and still look at himself in the mirror.

Greer suffers from more than greed...there's some kind of extremely sick pathology going on there as well.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I totally agree with you GUT. He's nuttier than my fruitcake recipe.....

Des

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
But maybe, just maybe this time is for real? /sarcasm

As has already been expressed, thank you for creating this thread. My mind simply reels at the fact that people continue to believe in Greer's claims and are naive enough to accept everything he says as truth. If it ever comes up for debate I for one wouldn't mind seeing Billy Meier's picture being replaced by Greer's as the symbol for a hoax thread on ATS.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Yeah. Schuyler, thanks!

Your thread won't change any minds already zipped positively closed on Greer, but newbes will take heed.
That is the best we can hope for.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yeah Greer is just another "UFO researcher" who wanted bucks insted of trying to prove that there is something to any given UFO case. It's people like him that make it hard for others and skeptics to take the subject seriously...

Great thread by the way. S/F

-SAP-
edit on 2-8-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Good and necessary thread schuyler

Maybe those who don't know of Captain Beefcakes exploits will come to know him as we do with the information posted on this thread

edit on 2-8-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

Yet those words are some pretty strong words in the video. Behind all the crazy stuff, wasn't Greer originally a good researcher?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Ill never forget what Dr.Karla Turner said about the likes of Greer, she said they were puposfully misleading, and this can be assumed by one fact: The aliens she encountered were sinister, and the likes of Greer will always claim they are not.

I haven't really formed a solis opinion on what Turner said, there are still many variables and unaswered questions, I've witnessed a flying saucer observing me, and I felt no fear. Although her exsperiences are far from mine,

Who really knows what?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Thank you, Schuyler.

Well done.

Unfortunately, not everyone is privy to ATS and brilliant threads like this.

Without mentioning the URL to the website, it's both heartbreaking, and utter hilarity in equal portions in reading comments attached to videos and video updates regarding this movie "Sirius", where every video is a carefully crafted ploy to ask for more money, as well as programming supporters as zombie bots to spread the word across their social networks.

Leaving comments of criticism under any of these videos finds the comments predictably removed in short time.

Going back to the Disclosure Project, I think it's utterly despicable and a crying shame to have exploited so many potentially valuable assets which by now are more than likely degrees of gun-shy in coming forward again after such bald faced manipulation to now have their names associated with the likes of this, erm, fellow.

edit on 2-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
For old times sake here's a link to the thread in which the moth picture in the op made its first appearance.

Back then we had at least one CSETI rep joining in the threads. We had lots of good-hearted banter and skirmishes and stuff didn't get deleted as much as it does today!

Here's a slightly modified, amusing though pertinent, pic of Greer that was posted by someone I forget in the Greer thread that was deleted earlier today.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It's that he's full of it.

No really.

I don't understand how Greer gets a pass yet the crazy guy from the Venus Project doesn't.

They are both equally insane.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Let me remind everyone of the
Terms & Conditions of Use:

15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

Therefore, any Greer-A-Thon threads (including his recent Beg-A-Thon that was posted, now trashed) will be trashed.

edit on August 2nd 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

post by greyer
Behind all the crazy stuff, wasn't Greer originally a good researcher?

Was he ever a researcher ? ,all I know of is that he got the Disclosure project together and organized the press club conference , back then I thought that was a good step forward and believed he was sincere and wanted the truth out in the open , it didn't take long for that opinion to change .

I believe he sniffed the possible pot of cash that could be made from all the people who also believed him and were willing to buy (literally) into whatever he said , he's a doctor ... everybody trusts doctors , then the "crazy stuff" started and the cash started flowing , the truth be dammed when $$$ involved

edit on 2-8-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Excellent post

As I don't want to read any more of what I already know about Greer, may I suggest that we do not post any more sarcastic remarks at Greer, but ask the believers of the Greer road show to come forth and present their evidence in support of him, just in case we have missed something.

I wait in great anticipation.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottozia

You might be waiting a while. Not sure how many Greer supporters ATS has.

-SAP-

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottozia

Excellent post

As I don't want to read any more of what I already know about Greer, may I suggest that we do not post any more sarcastic remarks at Greer, but ask the believers of the Greer road show to come forth and present their evidence in support of him, just in case we have missed something.

Do you really want to open that box......

Des

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I don't understand how Greer gets a pass yet the crazy guy from the Venus Project doesn't.

As Gortex says he's a doctor which brings about instant trust. Also he's very articulate and persuasive, (he could talk a turd out of a racoon's arse!) and, perhaps most important, he has no compassion. The lack of compassion enables him to remain cool and calm as he knowingly deceives people while speaking to them face to face.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join