It's understandable that people would lean toward believing that aliens either constructed or aided in the construction of the pyramids.
The other alternative is even more disturbing: that humans built the pyramids, but they would have to have had more complete knowledge of building
techniques and cosmic mathematics than we presently have... that a great civilisation built the pyramids in the distant past... as a reminder, a
lasting monument of a legacy that died off many MANY thousands of years ago. Why is this disturbing? It would appear that we had been so advanced as
to have wonders we're only still imagining are science-fiction, and then destroyed it. I see theories of a great war between Atlantis and the Raman
Empire, even carrying these battles to the moon, and beyond... to Mars.
Why would I jump to such a conclusion... well, I haven't jumped to any conclusions, I'll go along with the conventional wisdom that it's
inconclusive. But here are a few facts about the pyramids that make me really stop and think (a more complete list, including the original article
can be found at The Mystery of the Pyramids
, but these are the ones that struck me as important,
and these facts are actually enumerated on several sites):
1) The structures are built to face true (magnetic) North
2) The Pyramid is located at the exact center of the Earth's land mass. That is, its East-West axis corresponds to the longest land parallel across
the Earth, passing through Africa, Asia, and America. Similarly, the longest land meridian on Earth, through Asia, Africa, Europa, and Antarctica,
also passes right through the Pyramid. Since the Earth has enough land area to provide 3 billion possible building sites for the Pyramid, the odds of
it's having been built where it is are 1 in 3 billion.
3) The height of the Pyramid's apex is 5,812.98 inches, and each side is 9,131 inches from corner to corner (in a straight line). If the
circumference of the Pyramid is divided by twice its height (the diameter of a circle is twice the radius), the result is 3.14159, which just happens
to be pi. This calculation is accurate to six digits.
4) Each of the Pyramids four walls, when measured as a straight line, are 9,131 inches, for a total of 36,524 inches. At first glance, this number may
not seem significant, but move the decimal point over and you get 365.24. Modern science has shown us that the exact length of the solar year is
5) All four sides of the Pyramid are very slightly and evenly bowed in, or concave. This effect, which cannot be detected by looking at the Pyramid
from the ground, was discovered around 1940 by a pilot taking aerial photos to check certain measurements. As measured by today's laser instruments,
all of these perfectly cut and intentionally bowed stone blocks duplicate exactly the curvature of the earth. The radius of this bow is equal to the
radius of the Earth.