It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New School, New Tech!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My Alma Mater HS is going to be destroyed and rebuilt. It is going to use Windmills for power, have new greenhouses for the FFA Program, use new computers to see what the kids are eating and what sells most, then also have new cameras being put up for the ones used now are not of the greatest quality. I was wondering, do other schools get such cool stuff?

Also, with all the new things, they are even planning on making a small, shall we say, "program" to teach all the teachers and staff on how to use the new tech. Also wondering, with the windmills, is it legal? They are using state money, and guessing state approved, but using an alternate source of energy to keep school costs down, is it allowed? Or do they not have to get power from local power plants?(Edison and Davis Besse Nuke Plant)

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Not only is it legal, but I'm sure they will get some pretty tasty credits for using Alt power. There is no requirement I know of that a school obtain anything locally.

At least not where I live, could be different in other areas I suppose.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I've never heard of anything like it in my life.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
James the Lesser - What state is the school in, i'm going to guess Cali?

Like Montana said, The state would love this, more and more things everywhere are going green, but especially in California because they have always had power problems. The new world trade center will have wind turbines in it, which will power 20% of the building, you wont hear ant complaints from New Yorkers about that.

Environmentalist are the ones pushing this type of technology, Solar, Wind, Ocean Waves, I've even heard of a more exotic type that puts sensors in the floor of a high (foot) trafic area like a Subway station, and when people walk on it there stepping on the sensors which give of a little power, but with alot of people walking on it it has enough power to light up the station, and sense in has sensors, when the subway is closed or just empty the light turn off or get dimmer until someone steps on it.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Wind power sounds good in theory but I believe a recent study showed windmills actually have a detrimental effect to the environment in that they alter the wind currents (they obviously have to obstruct the wind in order to turn), so maybe some of these alternate energy sources we have at the moment aren't so wonderfull after all. I'd also be curious to find out what role solar energy plays in our environment re: solar panels. Would enough of them possibly cause a detrimental effect to our environment as well?

Apparently these fuel-cell cars are also even worse actually than internal combustion engines as they produce more ozone?

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The entire Palm Springs region of California is mostly wind powered. They've some impressive generator farms in the area.

It's not practical for many places (not enough wind) but they are becoming more popular than ever. A single non-oil strategy won't work everywhere, though (solar cells just won't work that well in Seattle, for instance.)

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Nope, not Cali, Ohio, near Lake Erie, the wind is almost always blowing. But this plan is in effect 5 years from now.... But hope all goes to plan.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
I'd also be curious to find out what role solar energy plays in our environment re: solar panels. Would enough of them possibly cause a detrimental effect to our environment as well?

Apparently these fuel-cell cars are also even worse actually than internal combustion engines as they produce more ozone?

I would guess that solar energy is going to reduce the greenhouse effect an extremely minor bit. That would be helpful.

Fuel cells aren't worse than internal combustion, but they're still bad because leaked hydrogen will have detrimental effects to the ozone layer.

top topics

join