It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most dangerous job in the world - needs strong heart to Watch

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Seen this video a few times a while back. Still makes me nauseous watching it. Same thing on an episode of Dirty Jobs where they're cleaning some bridge and have to walk up the side of it. This is even worse.

Instead of making some safety device, why don't they just build some robot thing that can climb up the tower and do what needs to be done.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
What you can't see in the video is those towers are moving and flexing in the wind and when they get to the top from their weight that is the scary part and it is all psychological. 30 feet up on a telephone pole is freaking scary when it is moving in the wind.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I notice that they don't wear chutes. Easy part is going up.
How are they going to get back down? The journey is not fulfilling unless you safely...
aww hell, go for it.

Of course then there these guys with uh, no skill, no safety and no visible support.
"Look ma... no brains!"

edit on 28-7-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm known in my family as being uncannily familiar with heights, as opposed to my dad who can't get 2 feet off the ground without fainting.

But this... this made my head spin. I doubt I could perform such a job.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Amazing how any one can do such a job , even with the safety line hooked to the antenna it still is a nightmare.
I believe climbing down would even be worse

When i watch this footage i am very happy with the job i got , it does not pay as much but atleast less bathing in sweat
I would not be able to trust all the safety mechanics you're equipped with to make the climb , or some toolbox hanging on a rope 1 meter below you , wich could get stuck.

Nice to see this video again though , very nice close up climbing stuff

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
aawwwwwww
i want a go

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulVoid

How about Chinese miners? Now THAT ought to be one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. Besides, they get paid peanuts.
Mercenary in Africa as well does not provide a long life expectancy.
Back to the subject, these guys are really impressive.
I don't think their job is dangerous as they are secured to the tower. But it is scary as hell!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
WoW--
I couldn't do it.
Major props to those guys!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

I don't know if the most dangerous job in the world, I'd put Australian abalone fishing as more dangerous then probably underground mining not too far behind considering how many are killed each year. Then military.

I've seen statistics of the most dangerous jobs in the U.S. and by far the worst is commercial fishing, specifically commercial fishing in the frigid waters in Alaska. I'm sure commercial fishing everywhere is pretty much the same. They have the most deaths and serious injuries of any job out there, which is also why it pays VERY well. People make a solid six-figures for a single season of work, not even a whole year. They get a lot of people going up there for a season or two, sometimes college kids who need to pay for school and such, hoping to just get through a season and save up enough so they can get going on what they really want to do. Of course this means a lot of these guys are very inexperienced, which just increases the chances of screwing up and getting hurt.

Underground mining, especially coal mining is pretty bad. Part of it is that the companies that run mines are pretty much all evil, at least in the U.S. they are, and don't put a premium on safety. Coal mining has other dangers, like black lung, which is the kind of thing that doesn't show up right away but after years it can ruin your health and even kill. As bad as mining companies in the U.S. are now, they used to be far worse but the unions were able to start getting at least some safety regulations in many years back.

The companies used to basically treat their miners as slaves, paying them in "company script," which was only useful at the company store, and then they would jack up prices at the company store so high that all of their workers were constantly in debt to the company and could never get out from under. Entire generations of families stuck in virtual slavery to these big companies, who never even paid their people in real money. Like I said, evil.
edit on 7/28/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/28/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'm very afraid of heights i could not imagine ever doing this job there isn't enough money in this world to tempt me to even to think about it..The video made me sweat with fear..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I also have a very big fear of heights, and watching that tower climb has made me feel very ill. If that had been me climbing, there would have been no fear of me falling as my fingers would have been embedded about 3 inches into the steel through sheer fear.....

Serious respect to the guys who do this work, whatever they get paid, isn't enough.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Regulations have steadily helped improve the safety of U.S. workplaces. However, some industries still have extremely high rates of injury and death. The following are the top five most dangerous industries: fishing, logging, flying, farming and mining. As you can imagine companies are working to tighten safety regulations and prevent injuries but as it stands, work related injuries and deaths are extremely common. So before you give up life at the office and take a job swinging a hammer or sailing into the eye of the storm, consider what you may be up against.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Be still my beating heart,I started getting dizzy just
watching the video.There isn't enough money printed
on this planet to get me to climb up there!

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Ahh, put a $50 crack rock up top and you could get just about any dope fiend to do it....naked....

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by geannabell
As you can imagine companies are working to tighten safety regulations and prevent injuries

That should read "companies are being forced to tighten safety...."

Thank the unions for that, not the company. The company will always take credit for what they were forced to do.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join