It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phones being given out for free outside Social Services.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have looked over the web to find some actual evidence this actually took place but all I have is some hearsay.

I have a friend that works just outside DC in Maryland. My friend and I were chatting over a instant messenger client Wednesday and he mentioned to me that one of his employees was bragging in the break room earlier day that there was a Kiosk just outside social services in Temple Hills, MD that was giving out free cell phones, all that was needed as a government issued ID. He stated that his employee was showing off his new "Obama" phone. My friend also stated the phone looked pretty nice. It wasn't an android phone but was a slider with a vibrant color touch display.

I have heard about this "Obama Phone" before. It is a government subsidized lifeline service paid for by the universal service fund. Basically everyone that has a cell phone service pays into this fund. I checked my bill and it comes to about $1.50. My feelings on this are mixed and I'll save that for another thread. Another ATS member posted a thread a few months back that outlines the program.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is a list of reasons something just doesn't sit right with me.

- First off why are people referring to this program as the "Obama Phone"? This program existed before President Obama was elected.

- If the claims of my friend’s employee are true then why was the only thing required to obtain this phone only an ID. According to assurance wireless website, the provider for this program there are guidelines and requirements before being approved. The website states you have to mail or fax in an application and wait for approval.

- Why was the person that obtained this phone instantly off the street outside social services referring to this as his "Obama Phone"? Was there some kind of marketing or materials stating this was an Obama program?

- The population density in the area is quite high, just over 7,000 people per square mile. The area is rundown and crime ridden and despite what Wikipedia states the area is host to a large number of people living around the poverty line.

Now while doing some research for this thread, I came across some a few links I would like to share. I must state in disclaimer that I am not a fan Rush Limbaugh.

www.rushlimbaugh.com...
drginaloudon.com...

Both the above links speak on this government program and how it appears to being spun to benefit the President and his campaign.

This link is what outrages me the most.
obamaphone.net...

It appears that the Obama campaign either directly or another organization that supports President Obama is attempting to appeal to welfare recipients in attempt to garner support.

My questions to the ATS community are:

- Does anybody have any knowledge that some agency was handing out free cell phones Tuesday afternoon?
- How does everybody feel about being taxed a buck and change every month to pay for free cells phones for welfare recipients?
- Does anybody else believe this may be some sly marketing attempt by the Obama campaign to strengthen support in poor urban areas?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Its a cleverly disguised scheme that allows the Govt to give phones to people that wouldnt otherwise be able to afford one.
The "scheme" part is that this will allow just that many more people to be tracked

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I don't have any information on who was handing out free cell phones in that area recently, but I can tell you of my experience.

I lived in a domestic violence shelter for a year and a half in Arizona. People who are on DES, or food stamps are entitled to them, who were also residents of the shelter. Not too sure about other DES participants.

The phones contain 250 minutes per month.

So yes, it's true, some people can get free phones with limited usage, basically emergencies.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

This link is what outrages me the most. It appears that the Obama campaign either directly or another organization that supports President Obama is attempting to appeal to welfare recipients in attempt to garner support

A politician trying to get people to vote for him?! OH MY GOD!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sulie
I don't have any information on who was handing out free cell phones in that area recently, but I can tell you of my experience.

I lived in a domestic violence shelter for a year and a half in Arizona. People who are on DES, or food stamps are entitled to them, who were also residents of the shelter. Not too sure about other DES participants.

The phones contain 250 minutes per month.

So yes, it's true, some people can get free phones with limited usage, basically emergencies.
This is exactly right I have one.You can double the 250 minuits for $5.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A local Atlanta news station ran a segment on these free phone. They had people on camera who were bragging about having up to 20 of them. One lady opened her big old handbag, and started pulling out phones like a magician pulling scarves from a hat. They do call them Obama phones. Goes along with the Obama Bucks, I guess.

There is no agency to track fraud on the free phones. They are being traded for street drugs out here.

To say it pisses me off, that some totally abuse the program, is putting it mildly. I pay $69 a month for my phone services, with some tacked onto my bill, to pay for theirs......

Des

edit on 26-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
We recently had a madman use a $26,000 government grant to purchase guns and ammo to shoot up a movie theater. How long before one of these cell phones are going to be used by another whacko as a detonation device?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I must state in disclaimer that I am not a fan Rush Limbaugh.
reply to post by AssiduousSpook

No. Of course you're not. Who would think that ?

edit on 26-7-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Now that is just wrong. It's people like that who are probably ripping off the welfare system as well. In Arizona, to get one you have to be on government assistance of some type.

While I was in the domestic violence program, I did not qualify for any government assistance so, I did not get this free service,but many of the residents of the program who were illegal aliens did.

Hemmmm......1070

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Its a cleverly disguised scheme that allows the Govt to give phones to people that wouldnt otherwise be able to afford one.
The "scheme" part is that this will allow just that many more people to be tracked

And listened too.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I agree, its a clever ploy to track people. Think about it , low income people have a higher % of crime rate. and with there "free cell phone" when they say no i didnt go to a florida suburb in a hoodie looking for trouble. The gov. can say, umm yes you did. Then BLAM we can shoot them. or the gov. will arrest them. whichever comes 1st.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Wow Tptb Really Want This Guy Re-elected

new topics

top topics

join