It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are Kerry's achievements?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This board has been overloaded by let's beat about the Bush threads. I never see any threads that tell us what Kerry can deliver if he were President. His biography is so scant of achievement that I would not even consider voting for him. Directly from the Democratic Party website:

www.johnkerry.com...

Am I expected to vote for Kerry because:

1) He won medals in Vietnam; then
2) Picketed against Vietnam;
3) Got elected as senator where he was absent for most of the votes?
4) Married a wealthy heiress;
5) Has many plans - none tested;
6) Is fairly good at debating; and
7) Is not Bush.

I am sorry if I am not getting the gist of this wonderful man. Could someone please help me with some of his tangible achievements?

Anybody? It is so much easier to beat a man with the mistakes he has made by doing something, than to find mistakes of a man who has accomplished nothing.

If I went looking for a job and I had to convince the recruiter that he should employ me because I had a vague plan of how I could run the company better, and yet my resume didn't bear it out - would he employ me?

[edit on 9-10-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
This board has been overloaded by let's beat about the Bush threads.

So since you are apparently for Bush.....this is a beat about the Kerry post!?
I'd love to stay and watch the same old drivel all over again from both sides, but I gotta get to work

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

1) He won medals in Vietnam; then
2) Picketed against Vietnam;
3) Got elected as senatoir where he was absent for most of the votes?
4) Married a wealthy heiress;
5) Has many plans - none tested;
6) Is fairly good at debating; and
6) Is not Bush.
[edit on 9-10-2004 by Mynaeris]

Well #6 is good enough of a reason. Well the 2nd #6 anyway. Or you can vote for Bush because..

1) He won no medals.
2) He was suspended in the Guard.
3) Got elected with 2nd most popular vote with help from little brother.
4) Has hot daughters (Ok thats the only plus)
5) Has few plans - all failed
6) Is poor at debating
7) Is Bush

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

So since you are apparently for Bush.....this is a beat about the Kerry post!?
I'd love to stay and watch the same old drivel all over again from both sides, but I gotta get to work

Actually I am not FOR Bush, just totally bored with the Bushbashing. Surely if someone applies for a job they should be able to motivate why them, instead of the current position holder sucks.

Your response is incredibly Democrat, lets beat the Republican's up and complain when we have to put anything on the table. A better attitude would be to say "Well John Kerry has achieved this or that".

Indy: Thanks for pointing out I double 6ed my list.

However you actually didn't bring any of the Kerry virtues/achievements to the table - surely the Democratic Party didn't have to resort to the 7 things on my list to decide on the best candidate for President. I am positive that there are many really well qualified and accomplished candidates in their ranks????

As I stated before let's pretend this is an interview (John Kerry is interviewing for my vote) - what has he done to make vote for him.

This only becomes a Kerry or Bush bashing thread when the question isn't addressed. Simple - What are his achievements?

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm really glad you started this thread. I would like for a Kerry fan to go through each of Kerrys promises and then show me something in Kerrys record that backs up his current promise.

For example, Kerry is talking about giving the troops what they need yet voted against the 87 billion. I don't want excuses of the 'pork' that Kerry was opposed to because all votes are to be answered with yes or no.

Show me where his record backs up his campaign promises. I'll make it easy for you. Here is a link to every vote that he made, or could have made, since he has been a Senator:

www.vote-smart.org...

Jemison

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Well, lets see.

1. He was responsible for putting the number two organized crime figure in New England in prison.

2. Elected Leutenant Gov in 1982.

3. Elected to the senate in 1984.

4. Has been reelected to senate 3 times since 1984.

5. He spent 19 years on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

6. He voted no on bills that would allow money to go to Iraq that would have been mostly unaccounted for.

7. Your right, Hes NOT George Bush.

At least John Kerry's achievments have not been:

1. The complete destabilisation of Iraq.

2. Entering into an Illegal war.

3. Lying to the American public about his reasons for wanting to go to war.

4. Lying to the American public about his service record.

5. Loosing any seperation of church and state.

6. Continually denying that he ever lied to us when there is ample evidence he has.

I could go on and on. You can not insinuate that Kerry has no achievments and then not back it up. It took all of 30 seconds to find these few on the net, and there are many more. Just rember one thing. Just because Bush believes he is appointed by God, does not mean that everyone believes it as well, though it would seem there are quite a few out there who do.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Exactly which one of these astonishing achievements are outstanding enough to warrant his election as President?

I think if you went through the resumes of republican, Democratic and Independent senators you would find most have more impressive records. Honestly your list is mundane and the bare minimum one would expect from a senator.

So maybe you should continue your list. The Bushbashing was a marvelous touch though.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Kidfinger, I don't think any of those points explain why someone should vote for Kerry.

2. Elected Leutenant Gov in 1982.
3. Elected to the senate in 1984.
4. Has been reelected to senate 3 times since 1984.

Please tell me what he did during his time in the Senate that give you faith that he can keep all of his campaign promises. Seems to me that every promise he makes now directly contradicts his position while in the Senate.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Does it bother you that John Kerry has many more positive contributions to the country than Bush? All Bush has done is make the world hate us. Even the achievements you term as positive have had a negative backlash on America and its safety. Take into account the lives of over 1000 soldiers that died to defend an illegal war. Do you think those families are better off? How about the millions of people out of work? Cant afford health care? Cant afford food for thier kids? This number has sky rocketed since Bush took office.

You wanted to know what Kerry's accomplishments were. I gave a few of them to you, yet you still act like it isnt true. The fact is, if you look at the pre-presidential record for Bush, it was HORRIBLE! He was a failed Business man. He ran a professional sports team into the ground. So many other negative points are present in his pre-presidential days that you can not tell me that Bush is qualified for the job. Kerry has more positive qualifications going into this presidential election that Bush had when he first ran for President. I will say that Bush has more experience at leading a country than Kerry, but Kerry hasnt been president yet, so thats a moot point. Also, the experience that Bush has running the country is less than desirable.

Now, instead of trying to convince me that Bush is the man for the job with witty banter and usless comentary, show me some centered facts. I dont mean find me a link to his web site or any supporting him. There are already a few here who think this is the way to prove a point. All it proves is the web site your quotinq is biased twards the person you want elected. Show me some facts from some independant sources. I've tried to find some good points for Bush this way, but I cant, and Im afraid thats because there are none.

[edit on 10/9/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   

What are Kerry's achievements?

I don't know but Bush's achievements are listed here:
www.crikey.com.au...
To which I'd like to add that he's the first Prez in US history to have his war called 'illegal' by a UN Secy-General

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The point of the thread is to point out Kerry's achievements that make him qualified to be President. It is not about Bush. It is about Kerry. All I asked for was to have something that backs up Kerrys words and instead you give me stuff like he was elected to be Senator??

He says he's for tax cuts but he's voted against them. He says he's for healthcare, ok, show me his Senate record that supports that. He says he wants the troops to have what they need, fine, show me his senate record that supports his word.

I even provided a link to a non biased site that has his record laid out for anyone to look at and yet still all I hear is the Bush bashing.

You want Kerry in office? Convince us that HE is the man for the job, not that Bush isn't.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Kidfinger: I am sorry you obviously didn't read the heading of the thread? It asks "what are Kerry's achievements?". Instead you ask us to defend Bush?

Once again find me a real reason to vote for Kerry. Imagine I am undecided,which I am, show me why I would want to vote for Kerry? From my readings on his record he isn't that great at voting himself - although that was what he was elected to do as senator. Unless American Senators have other more pressing work to do?

I guess Teresa never made this comment to him :"Vote often and vote well" - a statement she made to kids who were too young to vote, and later stated that Men were always boys, so I would have hoped that she had said this to this boy. Maybe he didn't want to listen to Teresa?

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Jemison
Mynaeris

This is to both of you. I've already listed more positive achievements for Kerry than Bush had going into his first election. It doesnt matter what other achievments I bring to light for you, because you will just claim them to be wrong, or not what you ment, or any other reason you can think of not to listen. You see things your way, and I see them mine. I will not vote for Bush. I will vote for someone who has a better record imo of performing his job in a way that benifits America and its people. Bush does not make things better.

[edit on 10/9/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Hmmmm I guess we have exhausted Kerry's achievements. I can't wait to vote for him now!

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You already had you mind made up. This wasnt a thread to show Kerry's achievments. Its a support thread for people who favor bush, so they dont have to go to almost any other thread in politics on here where the majority are for Kerry.

Jemison,

The site you linked to is the equivilant of a republican Moveon.org
Yea, real center line there.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
The point of the thread is to point out Kerry's achievements that make him qualified to be President. It is not about Bush. It is about Kerry.

Ahhh, the quarter billion dollar Bush re-election campaign revealed!

"It's not about Bush. It's about Kerry."

That's some referendum Mr. Incumbent.

Pathetic.

Kerry's name is on over 4,500 pieces of legislation. Do your own research. I happen to think he's one of the best men to run for the office of President in years. I actually like the guy more than Clinton now and that's saying alot for me. One of the most appealing things about him for me are some of his bi-partisan efforts, as with McCain. That's rare these days. Ask McCain about that and how the necons crucified him for it too.

But in a 20 year career with 4,500 votes, sure you can pick and choose something bad or good (and Bush ads spin the "bad") but it's all defensible, and I choose to look at the overall man, the trend, the seriousness, the intelligence, the readiness and grasp of reality and what's at stake.

And sorry to say, comparisons to the incumbent are 100% justifiable and telling. This is a choice we're making after all.

You don't have to agree with the hot button issues Bush pulls out of a 20 year career, like voting against the PBA ban. But I do! Kerry stated the case perfectly last night expressing his morality on the issue, but understanding and respect of everyone's morality and grasp of the role of legislation.

A vote to not kill mothers, is not a vote for PBA's. Kerry had the guts in that one vote example to take a stand. An enormously unpopular stand forced by rigged neocon legislation to try and move closer to placing the life of a fetus above that of the women...and he voted no politcal fallout notwithstanding.

He stood by it. He defended it.

The narrative Bush weaves on Kerry frankly doesn't stick. He's never in the Senate, but he's the hardest working liberal in the Senate. He's wishy washy and follows the polls, but he makes extreme unpopular votes and defends them saying he'd do it again.

Which is it Karl Rove? Doesn't matter. Bush's spin is pathetic and exposing of just how small the incumbent really is. Kerry is the better man. Kerry is the better man. I like him. And I'm voting for him. Not just against Shrub.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Let see while kerry spend 19 Years in U.S. Senate With 'No Signature Achievements' Of course, we all know what Bush was doing during those 19 years. Bankrupting 3 businesses before bankrupting Texas - then on to bankrupting the US Treasury.

It is hard to focus on Kerry acomplishments when bushes are killing the nation.

And again Mynaeris you do have a valid question here and I agree with your post.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I do not understand Kerry supporters AT ALL. All I keep hearing is you people and your beloved Kerry running around saying "liar liar pants on fire". For you to say that someone who claims to be a swing voter is a liar is a pretty weak arguement for your candidate. There are tons of threads on how horrible Bush is. You were asked what makes your candidate so great and your answers weren't so hot. So rather than offer more validation for your candidate you chose to go the bash Bush route and the liar route. That doesn't show me much.

As for vote-smart.org, it lists every issue that comes into the Senate and how each Senator voted. It is black and white. Either Kerry voted or he didn't. He either voted for or against. How exactly is that biased? If you can show me another site that has that exact information I would be happy to use that as my reference.

It seems to me that Kerry supporters can dish it out but they certainly cannot take it. Rather than show evidence that supports their claims they choose to resort to calling people liars and bashing the President.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Jemison

Do some back ground on who is funding the site. I dont want to tell you out right because I dont want you to say that I influenced it at all. I think youll be suprised.

As I said earlier, it does no good listing anything for you because your mind is made up and you only listen to the side your on. Believe it or not, I supported Bush during the war with Iraq. I supported him untill his blatent lies were brought to light. If you want me to list more achievements about Kerry, I would be happy to, just as long as I dont have to read a smarmy comment sayin they arnt good enough. The fact is, there is NOONE qualified fully to run this country. All you can do is pick the one with the best qualifications and track record that best represents your own Ideas and opinions.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Do some back ground on who is funding the site. I dont want to tell you out right because I dont want you to say that I influenced it at all. I think youll be suprised.

I'll look into that. In the meantime if you could let me know where I can find the same type of information regarding the votes I would be happy to use that as a reference. I only use vote-smart to see how someone voted on an issue, if there is political spin on the site I am not aware of it. My intention was not to lure people there for political spin and I apologize if it appeared that way.

Jemison

I just looked at Project Vote Smart and I dont see anything that says it's a partisan site. Would you please tell me what you know?

[edit on 9-10-2004 by Jemison]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join