It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are your cows !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Anyone looks at the beef futures lately?

I raise my own cattle, gonna have a freezer full and not gonna pay more than 3 bucks a pound for any steak.

But look to the future.

It isnt pretty, cow futures are gonna be a problem compared to the 40 year cycle.

And it will take a few years to correct.

While I am grillin a steak,.. tell me,... where are you gonna get your beef and for how much.

You guys in the city?.... start saving for your burgers. Trust me on this one.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Ew beef....

Sorry, but I prefer venison. It's easy to get (I live in the country), tastes better, and I know it wasn't processed at the expense of some poor, captive animal with who knows what sorts of chemicals in it.

Seriously, screw beef.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Chickens are easier and cheaper to raise, taking up less land and grains/grass and they produce eggs...every day.

Pigs eat anything and produce more offspring while still taking up less space.

One cow for milk and emergency food is all I need.

If your table depends on futures, it's not very dependable is it?

Peace

edit on 22-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Appreciate that dude.

But for those that eat beef,... # is hitting tha fan.

And that is my question.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

Maybe this will make people stop eating beef. Like the above poster says, chicken is better and easier to raise. There are loads of better animals from which to gain sustenance. I know a lot of people love beef, but it's not really that good for you compared to fish and poultry. Even pork isn't very healthy.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire
Ew beef....

Seriously, screw beef.

I eat it all.

Beef Rib-Eye
Rare with horseradish

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Chickens are easier and cheaper to raise, taking up less land and grains/grass and they produce eggs...every day.

I eat it all

Bacon and eggs

With Pancakes and syrup

Damn!

I'm hungry now.
Thanks guys

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Yeah, I prefer game meat myself. Only costs the price of a bullet, or better yet when I can use an arrow or trap. The beef I do buy is from a local freerange farm though. I get a nice discount because I share some beer and wine I make with the farmer. He is a really cool guy.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks Slayer, now I'm hungry, too. I got some shrimp in the freezer lol.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I eat it all

Bacon and eggs

With Pancakes and syrup

Damn!

I'm hungry now.
Thanks guys

I think you need to seek out the nearest Denny's to feed the need...

Peace

edit on 22-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Appreciate that dude.

And that is my question.

Not if you maintain your own sustainable grazing land....

My family never gives shots unless required by the BLM. We have a constant herd of about 30-35 head, of which we will butcher 3-7 per year and be able to maintain the stock at 30 head, including looses from outside causes (predators, accidents, elements..etc).

All grazed on natural grasses, and well/stream water.

We also found that deer love to hang out with or stock, so at the risk injuring a cow we take several deer as well while keeping an eye on the herd.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

While I am grillin a steak,.. tell me,... where are you gonna get your beef and for how much.

...from you my friend with a barter of corn and soya beans of course

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

Yeah let's bring back a healthy bartering system.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Appreciate that dude.

And that is my question.

My family never gives shots unless required by the BLM. We have a constant herd of about 30-35 head, of which we will butcher 3-7 per year and be able to maintain the stock at 30 head, including looses from outside causes (predators, accidents, elements..etc).

We also found that deer love to hang out with or stock, so at the risk injuring a cow we take several deer as well while keeping an eye on the herd.

Great job but that puts you in minority of those that can achieve and sustain such a table. Land being the major obstacle.

Chickens and pigs are much easier to raise, maintain, care for and finally butcher/cure.

I truly believe that chickens are the way to go in a SHTF scenario tho.

IMO

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I had a similar though the other day, well kinda

I live in rural Australia and i have noticed every second farm/property is on the market. The 11year drought has taken it's toll, and all the farmers are getting old and thier kids have moved to the cities, so they have no one left to take over thier farms.

It scares me to think what the situation will be like in 10 years time, Australia relys on the farming industry.
When I travell to the city I look at everyone in thier designer cloaths (even little girls shopping), with perfect hair and so on, I watch them eat in thier overly expensive cafes (cause thats the cool thing to do) and I wonder if they are even aware of where that food they are eating comes from, and what the situation is like.

I feel lonley and insignificant when im in a city, "out-of-place" if you like.........sorry im going off on a rant.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Appreciate that dude.

And that is my question.

Great job but that puts you in minority of those that can achieve and sustain such a table. Land being the major obstacle.

Chickens and pigs are much easier to raise, maintain, care for and finally butcher/cure.

I truly believe that chickens are the way to go in a SHTF scenario tho.

IMO

Peace

I would have to agree with you on the sustainability of chickens in a SHTF scenario, our cattle will be quikly reduced. We do have plans to move our breeding stock to a safe area if a situation like this exist, but really it will be sustainable for maybe 2 years not much more. cattle need a lot of room, and our family simply is not large enough to stand watch on the required to keep a sustainable level for cattle in order to keep them safe from raids/theft.

We do have chickens but they are mostly a "novelty". You have given me something to think about.

I don't think we will expand our current chicken population, but we will be making an area where we can quickly expand our chicken habitat that will be in our family's ability to defend against natural and other danger.

Thank you for the insight!

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I wish I had a lot of land! I would do the same myself

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

You forgot the question mark. Sorry, I'm a punctuation nazi !

I don't have beef or cattle. Just 2 alpacas that are pets not food. My neighbours have plenty of chickens, cows, goats and sheep though.

My specialty is vegetarian food and this is what I'd be contributing when the SHTF. Have enough stored dry goods to last a few years.

Let's face it, you have to have some type of accompaniment with the meat.

* Ned

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

I wish I had a lot of land! I would do the same myself

Some ranchers offer a per head buying price at slaughter, it is usually way cheaper than store bought meat. It is similar to buying stock market shares, but your return will be in pounds of beef. It wouldn't hurt to go to your local butcher shop/stock market to check it out. Shares of beef will usually be in the quarter to half beef increments.

Purchasing "shares" of beef offer a huge benefit of not needing the land to raise your own. just make sure to do your due diligence on the rancher to make sure the quality of beef is to your standards.
edit on 22-7-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Yeah, when I buy beef, I buy a whole cow, can even watch it be butchered if I want. The farmer is a really nice dude. He let me "inspect" the farm, the food he fed and the living condition of the animals. He is not really big on computers, or I am pretty sure he would be a member here. Up here, most of the conspiracy type conversations I have had was with that dude. He can talk your ear off about how the meat industry has suffered, and about GMO.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join