It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the peacemakers have to say about Peacemakers(Gun Control)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
In case you've been sleeping in the closet there is a predictable debate regarding gun control going on after "The Batman Massacre". Most of us have heard the common sayings of the founding fathers on the issue:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria.

"...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them." -Thomas Paine.

After coming across the Dalai Lama quote below I got curious as to what other great peacemakers and users of non-violence as a form of protest had to say about guns:

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. Not at the head, where a fatal wound might result. But at some other body part, such as a leg."-Dalai Lama

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity."-Gandhi

"Finally, I contended that the debate over the question of self-defense was unnecessary since few people suggested that Negroes should not defend themselves as individuals when attacked. The question was not whether one should use his gun when his home was attacked, but whether it was tactically wise to use a gun while participating in an organized demonstration...As we have seen, the first public expression of disenchantment with nonviolence arose around the question of "self-defense." In a sense this is a false issue, for the right to defend one's home and one's person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law." Martin Luther King, Jr.(it also turns out King applied for, and was denied, a concealed wepons permit after his house was bombed)

I found it quite interesting that these heroes of pacifists and non-violence drew a distinction between self defense and violence when it comes to what "peace" means. Why is it that many of those who champion these men seem to disagree with them?

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

Luke 22:36

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Jesus Christ...

He sent his disciples in twos, with a sword, He recognized our right to protect our self, the turn the other cheek thing is taken way out of context.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I thought about posting that one and a couple others, but figured I'd keep it gun specific. Thanks for sharing though.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Gun is just the modern sword.

in its function and what it represents.

Remember the Lords didn't want their peasants owning swords either...

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Sure. Of course they didn't. "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."- T.Jefferson

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Luke 22:36

He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

Jesus Christ...

He sent his disciples in twos, with a sword, He recognized our right to protect our self, the turn the other cheek thing is taken way out of context.

Yes, that is more for retaliation, and for choosing to walk away rather than be in a dispute. That means doing everything reasonable without giving up dignity or freedom, to bring peace, and yet, Jesus, Ghandi and others still do not stop self defense, or defense of family, serve and protect.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
how do guns kill people?? our government could care less how many die they just want control,,most of the people that are trying to outlaw guns allso voted for seat belts,and there talking about takeing kids out of familys because there obeast calling it child abues,..i wonder what these gun control people could do if they used all there time makeing stronger"PENALTYS" law & order.. not punish me for what somebody else did..they all ready made that killer out to be "mental",loner, out cast its the guns falt he didnt mean to do it..what would our government lawmakers say if the familys of the dead got on 2020 and marched the street & stormed the jail cell saying hang him??? stronger penaltys would save us a lot of tax money feeding & houseing these criminals...what would 2020 have to talk about today if this killer was convicted with a fair trial today, & turned into compost tomorrow..he did it not me,leave me alone let me work 60 hrs a week to feed my family pay my taxs..please dont thank for one minute a law of any kind over guns will make your life safer it will only make ammo go on the blackmarket like drugs..ill have to go i the hood shopping, instead of Wallmart. ill go to jail for haveing a gun and get a education our prisoners are walking on carpet floors..start yelling STRONGER PENALTYS watch how fast our government for the people defends that killer with doctors & lawyers ...

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Post-Aurora shooting gun control, pro and con, is being discussed here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

edit on Sun Jul 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: speeling

top topics

join