It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter Parents gone wild

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Can you believe somebody would do this?? Sheeeesh

usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

A Pennsylvania mother went to great lengths to see her children succeed when she logged into a school district's computer system to change their grades, state police and school officials say.

Catherine Venusto, 45, admitted to using password information obtained while employed as a secretary for the Northwestern Lehigh School District to log onto the computer system on multiple occasions, according to authorities.

Using district superintendent Dr. Mary Anne Wright's sign-on and password, she changed a failing grade for her daughter to a medical exception in 2010 and bumped up a grade of 98 to a 99 for her son in February, authorities said.

She has been charged with three counts of unlawful use of a computer and three counts of computer trespass, according to court records.

She was released on $30,000 bail Wednesday.

Police said she admitted her actions were unethical but not illegal.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
lol why would you change a 98 to 99.... isn't 98 already good enough

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The story is missing the part where it is always some man that makes women do these things.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv

Some of the helicopter parents are NUTS! They want every possible point to push their kid to be valedictorian or to be one point higher than somebody else's kid....just crazy stuff

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybro
The story is missing the part where it is always some man that makes women do these things.

nah, the psycho helicopters are the moms 95% of the time! The dad's are little more rational about it

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv

exactly what I was thinking, when I was in school my parents would have been thrilled with a 98

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What the hell is a "helicopter" parent? Do these people own their own helicopters?

Guess I could "google" it but I'm to lazy right now.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
What the hell is a "helicopter" parent? Do these people own their own helicopters?

The ones that hover over and encircle their kids at all times like they're a helicopter

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Ahh. Thanks for answering that. I understand the context now.
I have never understood why some parents think their children are/should be the next Einstein. Parents should always encourage their children to be the best that they can be but the parents should not do the work for them as that only cheats the children.

I love my daughter, 19 years old now, but she has her own mind and all I could ever do is suggest and praise her and hope that her own curiosity would take off and grow. It worked and she is intelligent but, as I said earlier, she has her own mind and it will be interesting to see what direction her future will lead her.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall

What are you saying - you haven't read Queen Bees and Wannabes?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Helicopter parents - too bad they don't really know how to parent. Now, I will be the first to admit that involved parents are often maligned just for being involved in their kids' lives. But helicopter parents are a different thing altogether. These are the parents who demand teachers give their kids As because it's the teacher's duty to make sure their child learns the material and if that child doesn't get an A, it's the failure of the teacher and they call up and bitch up a storm to the principal or school board (never mind their child is usually a lazy-assed C student at best). Then, they go around bragging about how gifted their children are. Those kids usually end up with no sense of self-worth or work ethic because they never had to work for a thing in their lives...and every issue they have is somebody else's fault. They have never learned to solve their own problems and they are self-centered and self-indulgent beyond belief. I cringe when I hear college professors complain that those parents are still at it when the kid is 21 or 22 years old. Heck, I've heard horror stories from employers interviewing grown men and women who still have parents involved in the interview process. HELLO, people...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

No. I have never read that title. Not really my cup of tea.
2nd

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

It seems it never ends

It's great when parents are involved, and it helps the students a lot, but when they "take over", it just gets ridiculous

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

In all honest No, I cannot truely believe a parent could do something like this. I have heard of this type of behavior from some parents, but even still, no, it truely is something beyond me.

What do parents like this think they are teaching? Certainly not values, morals or anything good! Lie, cheat and steal in order to succeed!
What on earth kind of lesson is that? These kids are who is turning into our politicians... and we are the ones who get to pay the price!

S&F! Good story, and really a good topic of discussion.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'm a teacher, I had a child in my class who had over an 80. I was done teaching them in January, and was teaching at at different school second semester. I was still dealing with this child's parent at Easter, about his mark. Helicopter parents are out there. They do exist and they are the bane of my existance.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
it's unbelievable how they could this sheeeeeeeeee

ATI RADEON HD 5670 – SERIES GRAPHICS CARDS FROM AMD

top topics

join