It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dollol Volcanic Crater WOW!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I came across these pics today and thought the colors and terrain looked amazing, it kinda reminds me of how an alien planet may look. I've never heard or seen pics of Dollol Volcanic Crater in Ethiopia until today. Mother Nature never fails to impress me.

Some of the pics you will need to scroll left and right to see full pic.

Dallol is a volcanic explosion crater (or maar) in the Danakil Depression, northeast of the Erta Ale Range in Ethiopia. It has been formed by the intrusion of basaltic magma in Miocene salt deposits and subsequent hydrothermal activity.[1] Phreatic eruptions took place here in 1926, forming Dallol Volcano, numerous other eruption craters dot the salt flats nearby. These craters are the lowest known subaerial volcanic vents in the world, at over 45 m (150 ft) below sea level.
Numerous hot springs are discharging brine and acidic liquid here. Widespread are small, temporary geysers which are forming cones of salt.
The term Dallol was coined by the Afar people and means dissolution or disintegration describing a landscape made up of green acid ponds (pH-values less than 1) iron oxide, sulfur and salt desert plains. The area resembles the hot springs areas of Yellowstone Park.

Also one of the hottest places on earth.

Dallol currently holds the record high average temperature for an inhabited location on Earth, where an average annual temperature of 34°C (94°F) was recorded between the years 1960 and 1966. Dallol is also one of the most remote places on Earth. There are no roads; the only regular transport service is provided by camel caravans which travel to the area to collect salt.

www.photovolcanica.com...
www.volcanodiscovery.com...
en.wikipedia.org...(volcano)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
tons of $$$ the Ethiopeans can make out fo this.........

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Pretty surprised that that's Earth... That's how I'd imagine an alien world would look like. Or at the very least the time of the dinosaurs.

Incredible. Earth is very good at returning to a more primordial state when we don't put a Walmart on top of it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Finally, the Mars pics in true colors!

Joking aside, those are amazing images of our beautiful Earth!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I dare you walk in that.

Go get us some more pictures.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Looks like my toilet bowl after a curry.
Seriously though, awesome pics!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
Pretty surprised that that's Earth... That's how I'd imagine an alien world would look like. Or at the very least the time of the dinosaurs.

Incredible. Earth is very good at returning to a more primordial state when we don't put a Walmart on top of it.

That's what I thought too, that it looked like another planet. Earth has some incredible wonders it does. I'm always amazed that we haven't discovered them all, we still continue to find incredible hidden gems. Although, for the planets sake it's probably best some stay hidden.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
It is indeed other - worldly! Wonderful photo's, and something I'd truly never expect to see in Etheopia.

Thank you for sharing about Dollol!
edit on 20-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Nice pics and link. Good info.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
tons of $$$ the Ethiopeans can make out fo this.........

This is true but the tourism will destroy the true beauty of it.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
great thread, well done, fantastic pictures.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
add these 30 sky photos to your OP images & it would be an awesome spectical

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

2nd verse same as the first

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Amazing, very informative post. It reminds me of all of the nonsense NASA has told us from the past regarding other planets in our solar system and beyond. Beautiful, exciting and a tremendous resource if not exploited. I read a few posts about how rich the country could become... sound familiar, maybe Afghanistan II. Please leave it to the people of Ethiopia...

new topics

top topics

join