It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

smoking Ban- To be or not to be?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Merkeva,

Although smoking has been banned in pubs and all the rest where I live in Malahide alot of smokers go just outside the door of the pub to have a smoke and this makes the streets look filthier as a lot of ciggarette butts get thrown on the ground and many children walk by and are inhaling second-hand smoke. I'm not saying smoking shouldn't be banned because I'm in total agreement of the ban I'm just saying the government should do something about this.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
This topic has been discussed on a number of threads already, with smokers standing up for their rights. Its really amazing that they feel their rights should take preference to that of non-smokers. If you smoke around anybody you are infringing on their right to clean air , their right to comfort and their right not to smell of smoke. I am a non-smoker and I have no problem with that as I don't feel my choice not to smoke impinges on anybody's rights. I think that smoking should be banned everywhere in fact, with the exception of smoking clubs/stores. I am tired of having to dodge second hand smoke on the street. However I am even more bored with smokers telling me that there are worse things than smoking. Address the issue not the periphery, if you want to discuss other hazards to health then start a thread about that.

And further I believe that parents who insist on smoking directly around their children should be prohibited from doing so.

I am sure this will make me #1 on the most hated list.

I totally agree with every word above exept the 1most hated bit.

Sorry if i repeated a thread i did do a search but it didn't come up with any threads. sorry

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluelady
As a smoker, I feel I am getting a bum rap. They treat us like second-class citizens now. I had to go outside in the winter at a concert I paid alot of money for. There was no protection from the weather whatsoever. If they kick us out of the building, they should have some sort of roof or something to keep us out of the rain/snow/wind.
Smokers are friendilier people. I have stood on line for hours and people totally ignore you, but step outside and light one up, there are five others chatting away. Its amazing,
, but adversity brings out the best in some people.
I have always treated people with respect in my smoking habits. If I am at someones house that doesn't smoke, I don't smoke, even if other guests are smoking. I go outside.
Between the police stings (hanging out at closing time) and the smoking issues, alot of bars are going under. Big deal, right? Not if you happen to own the place.
I agree that alot of smokers are very rude. I own a greenhouse business that being outside - no problem - people smoke, but then they throw the butts in my garden beds. ACK! Can't you see that can sitting there?

You all have a great day!

I disagree completely. The laws are forbidding a type of activity, not a type of person. People dont pop out of the womb with a cigarette in their mouth, so you cant really say its discriminatory. Its a choice.
You said that you were pissed off because you were at a concert and had to go outside into the cold to smoke a cigarette. Well, guess what? You didnt have to smoke a cigarette. You could have waited until after the concert.

And if you are so addicted that waiting that long is impossible, then you only have one person to blame, yourself. When you started smoking, you knew they were addictive, yet you smoked anyway. Now you can either quit, or deal with the consequences of your addiction.
Either way, if I'm at the concert with you, I dont want to have to leave smelling like an ash tray because of your addiction. I dont mean for this to be a mean spirited attack on you, just a counter point to your arguement. :p

I believe that freedom means that a person has the right to do whatever they want, as long as it doesnt infringe on the rights of others. If you want to smoke, fine, I support your right to do that. However, when you expose me to your smoke, you are negatively affecting me. Thats why I believe that smoking should only be allowed outside or in one's car and home.

[edit on 9-10-2004 by apw100]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Merkeva,

Although smoking has been banned in pubs and all the rest where I live in Malahide alot of smokers go just outside the door of the pub to have a smoke and this makes the streets look filthier as a lot of ciggarette butts get thrown on the ground and many children walk by and are inhaling second-hand smoke. I'm not saying smoking shouldn't be banned because I'm in total agreement of the ban I'm just saying the government should do something about this.

Yeh i totally agree with you on the litter part, but thats a different discussion for a different topic ,most pubs etc. have ashtrays on the wall outside now.As for children walking past i think second hand smoke is alot less harmless outside as it is much more diluited.

Merkz out...( surprized to see another paddy here, im in finglas btw )

[edit on 9-10-2004 by Merkeva]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Well they just banned smoking in public where I live the place is a huge shopping area. The thing I noticed was that the air in the place seems more fresh now there is no smoking.

That seems a good side to it the only thing is now there are loads of people and staff that work tehre stood out side in the rain I think its a good idea. But they should have just put up smoking area with really good ventaltion or something. Tabbaco industry is big money to the goverment so There never really going to go any further with the public ban on smokeing it makes them to much money.

[edit on 11/10/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I TOTALLY stand by my opinion that smokers are friendlier people. lol.
Way back when the dinosaurs roamed, everyone smoked everywhere. And no, nobody said it was bad for you then....
And the concert I was at...it was a long one and we were in intermission, there must of been 150 people out there smoking in the snow. All I have to say is that its a class act to be able to provide for ALL of your customers. They provided alcohol for the alcoholics. Geez, I hate the smell of second hand gin.
Everybody has to be so socially concious...when did you plant your last tree? Alot of you think that smoking is the worst thing on earth. Guess again!

I'm planning on quitting soon anyways, taxes are rediculous.

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I am a smoker and I think the easiest way out would be to just ban cigarettes altogether.

It's been proven that they are no good for anything, so governments should just make them illegal. It's easier to give up when you don't have access to them or are surrounded by people smoking them.

As to the non-smokers concerned about the quality of the air, just think about that the next time you are driving your car. All the cars put together pollute the air a lot more than all the smokers put together.

posted on Oct, 28 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am a smoker! I wanted to state that right from the start. I DO however support a ban in any and ALL public buildings. It's not fair for people to be cooped up in a building with my nasty habit inhaling my smoke with little or no ventilation. A ban on smoking outside? COME ON! Can I throw a tantrum because I don't drive and get people to start riding bikes instead of cars because of the pollution??

[edit on 28-10-2004 by not_just_paranoid]

[edit on 28-10-2004 by not_just_paranoid]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I just wish people would be more courteous, that's my whole issue. I've never smoked and neither has my husband. I grew up having two parents that smoked (Dad quit back around 1980 or so) and my sister started up when she was 16.

When I was pregnant with my son, I had a 3-hour glucose test. They'd give me this sweet stuff to drink and draw my blood once every hour, which meant I had to find something to do in between times. So at one point I went and sat outside on a bench. I'm OBVIOUSLY pregnant at that point...and of course this woman sits down on the other end and immediately lights up!
I said something about I don't need the smoke and neither does my baby and left in a huff!

Early in my pregnancy I was at work. I was relieving someone for their break, and he came back REEKING of cigarette smoke, which set off my morning sickness. I ran to the bathroom and threw up.

I live in a quadplex and we share a furnace. This guy in another apartment smokes like a chimney, it gets through the furnace vents, so during the early part of my pregnancy I could not bear to be at home. That's when my husband got air filters, which made things tolerable. Cigars are the worse.

For some reason, though, I don't mind smelling pipes at all. I actually kind of like it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join