It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Man Coming Home From Iraq - Thanks to winning lottery ticket !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Woman hits $100,000 in Powerball

FLATWOODS KY, Judy Young doesn't play the lottery a lot.

And, when she does, she usually doesn't check her numbers until the next day's newspaper is out.

But, on Wednesday night, Judy's 24-year-old daughter, Amanda, happened to be watching television when the winning Powerball numbers were announced. She went through the tickets, and found she and her mother had a winner.

"At first, (Amanda) thought we had won $5,000," she said. "We started checking, and found out we actually won $100,000."

www.dailyindependent.com... nner1008.txt

Judy and Amanda ended up not going to bed that night. Instead they talked about their plans for the money and then left their Flatwoods home at 4 a.m. to get to Louisville by the time the Kentucky Lottery Corporation's office opened.

After taxes, the winnings came to about $69,000. Not much in comparison to the overall jackpot, which is now up to $215 million, but enough for the Youngs to accomplish one very important goal.

Judy's husband, Charles Craig Young, is doing contracted maintenance work in Baghdad. Though he is retired military, Charles had to take the job to get his family out of debt, Judy said.

He was due to come home in mid-November for a short leave, then go back for another three-month stint in Iraq. Thanks to the lottery winnings, he can come home for good.

"I didn't want him to go back (after November), because I thought we could manage even though we've been struggling," Judy said. "But he wanted to get completely out of debt. When he called last night I told him he could come home."

Charles plans to stay in Iraq through the end of October, Judy said. The couple also have two sons working in the country.

"This is the biggest thing that's every happened to us," Judy said. "It's just a prayer answered for me and my husband."

Awesome... absolutely Awesome !!!

[edit on 8-10-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
That is absolutley brilliant news, I am so happy for the family.

join