It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Crucial U.S. Presidential Debate Set For This Evening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
The stage is set for what may be a pivotal moment in both the Bush and Kerry presidential campaign. With most polls showing a virtual dead heat, the debate may be crucial to both sides in an attempt to swing undecided voter. Rhetoric is heating up on both sides as the debate nears. The Democratic Vice Presidential Candidate offered this advice to President Bush �"The president of the United States, in order to perform well in a debate, needs to do more than not screw up his face and needs to do more than string a sentence together", Bush�s campaign manager , Ken Mehlman, indicated that the debate would provide an opportunity to scrutinize the Kerry record on defense and other issues.

story.news.yahoo.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - President Bush needs to do a lot more than improve his body language for Friday night's second debate, says Democrat John Edwards. The Republicans say it's John Kerry who's got the explaining to do about his policies.

"The president of the United States, in order to perform well in a debate, needs to do more than not screw up his face and needs to do more than string a sentence together," vice presidential candidate Edwards said Thursday in Bayonne, N.J. "He needs to level with the American people."

Bush's campaign manager, Ken Mehlman, sees the debate differently. He said, "It's an opportunity for Senator Kerry to defend a 30-year record of being wrong on defense" and to explain how he'd pay for an expansive domestic agenda.

Bush's performance in last week's first debate in Miami was widely criticized, especially the grimaces he made while Kerry was answering some questions. The arrangement will be different at Friday night's confrontation � a town hall-style format with audience members rather than journalists asking the questions at Washington University in St. Louis

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The debate at St. Louis�s Washington University will follow a different format than the previous. The town hall style format will have audience members asking the questions of the candidates as opposed to journalists. It is expected that the candidates will spar on a variety of topics including the economy, jobs, and even recent events in Iraq. Both campaigns have indicated that their candidate would have an advantage in the town hall format. Please check in with ATSNN.com for post debate discussion and analysis.

Related News Links:

story.news.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Stage is Set for Vice Presidential Debate
NEWS: Bush, Kerry Spar In First Presidential Debate

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Interesting observation: Bill O'Reilly has said that if Bush loses this debate, he loses the election. His reasoning deals with the state of Ohio: before the first debate, Bush was ahead of Kerry in Ohio. After the first debate, the two were tied in Ohio. If Bush loses, expect Kerry to surge ahead in Ohio.

History has shown that no Republican has lost Ohio and won the presidency. There are no other places for Bush to make up for Ohio's lost electoral votes. So therefore, lose the debate and lose the election.

We shall see. The Duelfer report is sure to be hot topic number one in the debate. Amazing that it should be released with less than a month to go before the election.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The Duelfer report, as well as lower-than-expected job growth in Sept. will certainly give Kerry fresh ammunition to go after the Bush administration.

I expect tonight's debates to rated as close to a tie, much like the vice-presidential debate. The only problem I see is that, if Bush manages to come out with a tie, his people will spin that into a win for the Republicans.

Will definitely be interesting to watch. Bush can't afford another shameful showing on the national stage.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   

The only problem I see is that, if Bush manages to come out with a tie, his people will spin that into a win for the Republicans.

With a name like W, I woulda thought you'd be happy about that (just kidding).

The job numbers are expected to come out today, 96K vs 150K. I thought they were a closely guarded secret. Reminds me of the Akroyd/Murphy movie "Trading Places".

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Hm....what happened to Nerdling's thread?

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to post my post-debate analysis here.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
While I am an ardent INDEPENDANT, my view is Bush better come out SWINGING and never stop or he is toast.

If he allows Kerry to walk all over him again it's pretty much overwith as close as they are in the polls, IMHO...

Sad part is, it's simply nopt the man's nature to be that way so it's going to appear forced. Come to think of it though, that may actually get his point across better.

I am looking way forward to watching this for the PURE entertainment value.

m...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The debates are set to begin in less than two minutes. Undecided voters will be asking the questions for this debate.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The debates are set to begin in less than two minutes. Undecided voters will be asking the questions for this debate.

Monkey in da house... Go George.

Whoops, wrong thread... Darn monkey brain.

[edit on 8/10/2004 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
While I am an ardent INDEPENDANT, my view is Bush better come out SWINGING and never stop or he is toast.

If he allows Kerry to walk all over him again it's pretty much overwith as close as they are in the polls, IMHO...

*snipped bottom*

He tried I think. But Kerry pivoted Bush back on the defensive.

It's an epic battle so far.

You're on the defensive....

No, you are.

I'm partisan, but my eyes spy Kerry ahead. I mean all he has to do is not let Bush win to keep his momentum. We shall see.

PS - Bush cutaways not flattering.
Twitch. Wink. Repeat myself

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

PS - Bush cutaways not flattering. Twitch. Wink. Repeat myself

He's also winking his eye at many people in the audience.

MK

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
At one point, I thought Kerry was going to begin to cry. His voice quivered and his facial muscles twitched. This was when Bush began to expose his Senatorial record for what it is. From that point on, Kerry was on the defensive and ended up on the ropes.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I think Bush kicked Kerry's behind tonight. I thought that Bush did an excellent job on the environment question. Most people didn't know about all of the Bush policies on environment. I would certainly say he is environment friendly compared to past Republican presidents. Minus Teddy R. of course.

I also thought Bush did a good job of pointing out Kerry's record. Bush does so much better in the town-hall style. However, I think Bush bit it on his last question. He should have thought out an aswer to that question before the debate.

All in all, I think the score is tied 1-1.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Bush thinks he is doing a better job on the environment because he redefines what pollutants are. Mercury is no longer a pollutant, therefore the air is cleaner?

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I must give Bush kudos for a performance that is far above the previous. I was pleased to see his eagerness to defend his position, at the same time recognizing that much like some in here, that eagerness sometimes manifests itself in personal attack and not at addressing the issue at hand. All in all, I thought he was as commendable as he could be and I believe he blew it again on his response to what three mistakes he has made. Reading between the lines, I take his answer to mean those republicans who have currently now towed the party line. His one chance was tonight, to say; ladies and gentlemen, I recognize that some things could have been done differently, and from now on they will be, but he took the infallible road again.

I watched Kerry give a speech yesterday and for the first time thought he appeared confident and presidential. Tonight he came across as even more so. The debate was very good in that a real debate existed this evening, each man eager to counter the other. Bush however seemed sheepish on several occasions when Kerry struck a nerve, while Kerry exuded confidence. Bush lost his composure somewhat on question 6, which plays against him as he appeared almost feral.

Frankly, both men surprised me in how they dealt with the audience. Kerry never missed a beat in addressing the questioner by name, Bush forgot to do that by the 3rd question. Kerry however insulted the audience at one point with regard their income brackets, I suppose that will come back to haunt him.

I actually rated every response this debate, based not on whether the answers appealed to me, but whether they answered the question adequately, and in that regard. Kerry was far ahead. If anyone still claims to not know what Kerry�s plan are then I can only state it is because they do not want to know.

[edit on 10/8/04 by SomewhereinBetween]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
This is getting ridiculous, it's obvious that people who want john kerry to win are going to say he won the debate and the people who want george W bush to win are going to say he won the debate...

from an outsider perspective I would say Kerry won the first debate and I would say Bush barely won this debate.

Cheney definitely won his debate.

I'm going to say Kerry is going to be the next president,from an outsider perspective.

top topics

join