It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Class solar flare en route to earth, expected to hit earth July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

X-FLARE! Big sunspot AR1520 unleashed an X1.4-class solar flare on July 12th. Because the sunspot is directly facing Earth, everything about the blast was geoeffective. For one thing, it hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward our planet. According to a forecast track prepared by analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will hit Earth on July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours) and could spark strong geomagnetic storms. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend.

Source: Spaceweather.com

X1.4 istn't that strong, but it could affect Radio-frequencies. Auora-watcher are very likely about to get a show.

All the best and have fun.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Swordbeast

already posted

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by eyeinoz

Yeah, looks like it was first postet here: Solar Flare Headed Our Way!,

Sorry, didn't see it at first.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Even though it was posted earlier, yours have more info on the op than the other one did.

Hmm, i wonder if these solar flares have anything to do with my internet connection going bad sometimes? Its been really slow for me here. D:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
This one could be a Geoeffective Event

Could be anything from just auroras to radio and power grids down...

just sayin...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Alright, I just found another thread about the flare:
New X-Flare Direction Could Cause Radio Black Outs,

I wonder if we will percieve any effect here in Switzerland. I'd love to see some auroras around here.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I searched x1 solar flare, earth directed March 11, 2011, x1.5 (earth directed)... Japan tsunami, March 11, 2011 (not saying the 2 are linked but just saying).

I also wanted to post, I read somewhere that a microwave can protect (somewhat), electrical equipment.
It's not the same as a faraday cage but may help at least to put portable radios, etc.

I've been saying my prayers everday, looks like we are in end days (better ones ahead after tribulation).

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
X class flare, almost direct hit Saturday,

I wonder how I could have missed all those flare threads; guess it's time to re-think my search-routine.
But anyways, might as well use this thread as some sort of reference and link the other threads here for quick overview.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Source collection:

www.solarham.net...

spaceweather.com...
Further sources are welcome.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Cool, that's my burthday!

Maybe something interesting will happen.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Well, with any luck you might get a nice lightshow from auroras.
Depending on where you are located, of course.

I wish you all the best for your birthday

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swordbeast

Thanks! I live in Georgia, I won't hold my breath!

Have been some seen in the past here, though, so one never knows. Just been a lot of rain the past few days. I will let you know!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
X-Class Solar Flare + Earth = BBQ Time

apparently this solar flare is so massive
you could fit 15 earths inside

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Posted several times already but I'll take this opportunity to clear up some things.
The solar flare occurred yesterday and arrived (at the speed of light) at Earth eight minutes after it happened. A CME which was associated with the flare will arrive tomorrow.

Solar flares are classified according to the x-ray flux which they produce. Yesterday's X1.4 flare is not particularly intense.

CMEs are not classified. The effects of a CME on Earth depend upon a number of factors including their speed, density, and magnetic configuration.

edit on 7/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I went ahead and got my self set op on spaceweather.com's txt alert system
They will send me a txt when an x class flare kicks off.
As we enter into this solar max (peaking in late December to March) the X class flares
are going to the ones to watch,. from what i have read, a large enough X class if a direct
shot to earth can knock out power and or have the Emp result to out electrical world.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Solar flares have little or no effect on Earth's surface.

A very strong CME can produce strong geomagnetic storming which can cause problems for power grids. There is no EMP effect which can affect electronics.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
www.offthegridnews.com...
this is just one source i have read.
I have read this a few times Phage..they have it wrong?
please clarify

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

No, they have it right. They liken a geomagnetic storm to the E3 phase of a true EMP.
The E3 phase (and a geomagnetic storm) only affects long conductors (like powerlines). It does not affect electronics (unless they are plugged in to the grid at the time).

I should have been more clear. There is no EMP from solar activity.
edit on 7/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thank you for clarifying this for me.

I feel better now.

top topics

join