It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France To Launch 50 Nanosatellites!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
France will launch 50 nanosatellites in 2007, they say thier all for scientific purposes. All 50 2.2 lb satellites will be launch by using just one rocket.
Launch 50 Nanosatellites

Sounds very economical, just wonder what exacly they will be studying?

I wonder if its possible to make GPS satellies alomost this small so we could launch several at a time, rather then our current, 1 rocket = 1 satellite approach.

heres the rocket that they will use.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I wonder if it isnt dangerous. I thought there were some issues concerning nano tech and grey sludge unless they resolved them.

jra

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
kode: I'm not really sure what you're talking about, but these satillites arn't litteraly nano sized. They are just smaller than regular satillites as far as I know. I don't think there is anything dangerous about launching small 1kg satillites.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

jra

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Ok, but again, these satillites arn't nano sized, as in microscopic. And they don't replicate. They are probably just small enough to fit in your hands.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Grey goo? Some of the most cutting edge nanotechnology involves really small stuff, granted. Intelligent? Capable of creating copies of itself with materials which surround it? Nice try. A lot of love goes into creating nano-sized stuff, it doesn't just happen. Oh, and we already have bacteria which self-replicate utilizing material surrounding them...the process is called metabolism. They're everywhere...no grey goo yet.

The grey goo argument requires quite a bit of assumption's doesn't it? What did Samuel L. Jackson say in that movie?

When you make assumptions, you make an ass out of you and umption.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
nano tech doesn't mean that thing will become living things. All it means is refering to things on a very small scale. A nanometre is a billionth of a metre, that is, about 1/80,000 of the diameter of a human hair, but the word nano is also often used just to personify the fact that something is alot smaller then it usually is.

These nanosatellites are actually 2.2 pounds and about the size of a basketball.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Right,
I think they jumped the gun, using the term nano...These are Mini-birds.
At this rate, we're going to run out of big words to describe small things..!

"micro" to "nano" to "pico" to "femto" to "atto." then.... "zepto."

Zepto...I like that one...

top topics

join