It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Flag Alert - Important - Internet Kill Switch to Be Armed by DHS on Monday

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The DNSChanger virus that went active in 2007 and had infected over 4,000,000 people at it's peak.. it was created by an Estonian company called Rove Digital for the purpose of injecting their advertisements into websites you visit..

They made upwards of 14 million dollars in fraudulent advertising before they were shut down by the feds in "Operation Ghost Click"

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by GenerationGap

The fact that the gullible public even believes in a "kill switch" is laughable.

Are you aware that there are thousands of hackers/crackers out there that will no doubt work overtime to override such a "kill switch"?

I don't think such a thing is possible and even if it were, there are more dangerous things to worry about. No internet? No problem! There's a whole world out there waiting to be discovered.

You are right about the hackers but the rest of everybody is dependent on ISP's dependent on the Tier One providers to the backbone.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 9-7-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Egypt was able to turn off the Internet by forcing its relatively few Internet Service Providers to shut down their servers. In Libya, the servers are answering and the route is open but the traffic is being throttled down to zero. If the U.S government told the major Tier 1 ISPs to close, that’s technically not a single “kill switch” but it would cause a shutdown. In fact, one report claims, in the event of a cyberwar, an Internet shutdown would cause more problems that it would prevent.

techcrunch.com...
edit on 9-7-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

Really now...is that how you judge people...just by their avatar....so tell me this then...If i am such a tool...here it is monday....and ummmm...where is the kill switch....did it happen...no...your the one who mentioned EMF are you not...that is not a internet kill switch is it...It is a electronic devices kill switch....and who is the biggest fool here now...take a look in the mirror m8.
you might find something interesting about yourself...you came on defending the un-defendable...you got punk'd ...and now your trying to reverse it with derogatory remarks because you do not like to appear ignorant...interesting that is...do you remember what you said...or should i post it back so it can be stated.

uhhh.. we are binded to an EMF, the SUN is the ONE source that could shut it down, you are just another smart ass who doesnt have anything to back up his mockery.

yes i do have the ability to back up my mockery...your here today online.

I do mock people when they try to scare people with complete and utter sensationalism....and then they get angry when you point out to them they are not thinking it through clearly.

You state the sun as an emf source well i showed you another emf source which is much closer to home...and can actually used against electronic devices...but I am not sure...but i do believe things could be shielded using the faraday cage principle....but heck...i guess that would be an over exaggeration so i will stay away from that one.....Also why insult my avatar...do you not have one because...why? you don't know how to resize a pic ti fit...or you can't be bothered....heck why not look up what my avatar is even about...it might be interesting...you might even learn some things.

the OP was and is simply WRONG....he was wrong to over sensationalize it and he was wrong about what the virus is....but now that the internet kill switch is armed i guess we should all go live in fear yet again.

show me where i was wrong..please...
edit on 093131p://f50Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

edit on 093131p://f52Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

edit on 093131p://f53Monday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
So nothing happened at least not that I'm aware of. What I don't get is why the FBI had a link to scan peoples computer. I wonder how many people went to that link.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by asd161
So nothing happened at least not that I'm aware of. What I don't get is why the FBI had a link to scan peoples computer. I wonder how many people went to that link.

It was not really a a scan of your machine, it was a DNS checker to see if your DNS was compromised...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
While the DNS virus seems to have been mostly a non-event, here is some more serious analysis of the kill-switch idea.

The original intent of giving the President authority to protect the U.S. and U.S. national security interests — such as critical infrastructure providers — against cyber security attack, while well intentioned, is fundamentally-flawed technical policy.
Implementing such a switch would be difficult technically. The Internet is a dynamic and distributed network implemented by a number of large service providers with many downstream smaller service providers.

Replication and redundancy was built into the network design from its original ARPANET origins in routing and naming to protect against single-failure modes in the Internet. The Internet simply routes around outages and disruptions.

But, none of this is really relevant because the intent is really to give the President “authority” to direct the service providers and potentially the military (US CYBERCOM) to take down Internet connectivity in the event of cyber attack.

What would it take to put it in place: Putting an Internet kill switch into practice is not a technical issue. It’s really about giving the President the authority and then getting all service providers to agree to null route Internet requests. So, it takes authority and cooperation to implement an Internet kill switch.

From a technical perspective, there is more damage that will be caused by disconnecting or shutting down the Internet than good. So many services now ride the Internet backbone including the power grid, industrial control, telecom, transportation, banking, military command & control, and of course all manner of business communications and logistics.

www.techrepublic.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
For the record, no one ever said the switch would be fired Monday, only armed.

Reading, as well as comprehension, is fundamental.

Oh, and the switch is armed.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This whole thread makes me think of an old thread. The person claimed they were mil and worked with the "kill switch" and it was actually a switch that could be thrown. If that didnt work.. he could unplug it or cut it with scissors and a bunch of garbage.

Ok carry on.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Denial of service...hmmmm www.networkworld.com...
It appears that AT&T was hacked to pieces right under the MSMs noses.
Ask yourself who the few customers are. When few equals fortune 100, what type of security problem do you have as a network provider
edit on 15-8-2012 by disclosure because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: GenerationGap

I'm getting the feeling this was recently activated in a wet run on the north east corridor.

It was blamed on a DDOS attack leveraging security vulnerabilities in common appliances, but this very well could be the internet kill switch; stories of hacker collectives and foreign states are information subterfuge. Obama wanted an internet kill switch controlled by the executive branch, and the executive branch now has it and has deployed it in the wild.

Set your readiness levels to high, things may get interesting rather quickly.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: GenerationGap
Essentially, this is DHS putting us behind their firewall that they control on Monday. If your network goes down its not because you have a virus...It's because you don't have THEIR program (the real virus IHMO).

you have obviously no idea how stupid this is.

first, requests to the american dns servers come from all over the world, not just from the USA. what about others 'not having their program'?
second, you have no idea how dns servers work. routes those requests take aren't constant at all. those are UDP packets. besides, anyone can register a .com - or any other - domain, and keep it on his own dns servers. now, it's a tree-like structure, so the address of your dns server comes from the dns servers higher up in the tree, and at the top are the dns servers in the US, but it's actually even more complicated than that (dns caches, regular PCs and smartphones asking dns servers of their ISPs first and so on).

your claim could have some possible validity if they would be attacking the dns infrastructure itself with a virus morphing it so that all the requests are filtered according to their will. the thing is, such attack is next to impossible, because they would have to attack all the big enough dns servers around the world (top servers serve as hubs, they wouldn't offer enough granularity to contol access to individual sites for example), and most of those are pretty much secure.

intercepting whole dns traffic by attacking all the crossing points between ISPs? if those routers would be so insecure, someone would attack them already much earlier - and would patch the vulnerability so that other hackers can't boot them.

there's so much wrong with this whole theory that explaining it feels almost like a waste of time. do you have any idea how many parts of our lives depend on internet access? do you have any idea what would happen if some country's network would be heavily disrupted even for a day? even by accident. mission critical stuff has IP addresses of other machines in configs, but if some failed router hack would take a bunch of critical routers down, that would disrupt the whole traffic. hospitals. electrical grid. logistics.

you have no idea.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: GenerationGap

I'm getting the feeling this was recently activated in a wet run on the north east corridor.

It was blamed on a DDOS attack leveraging security vulnerabilities in common appliances, but this very well could be the internet kill switch; stories of hacker collectives and foreign states are information subterfuge. Obama wanted an internet kill switch controlled by the executive branch, and the executive branch now has it and has deployed it in the wild.

Set your readiness levels to high, things may get interesting rather quickly.

north east corridor, east coast, blah blah.
BS.

recent ddos attack on dns servers had global effects when it came to accessing chosen sites (twitter, github and so on). i'm living in europe and i can confirm it.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: disclosure
Denial of service...hmmmm www.networkworld.com...
It appears that AT&T was hacked to pieces right under the MSMs noses.
Ask yourself who the few customers are. When few equals fortune 100, what type of security problem do you have as a network provider

denial of service is NOT equal to hacking.

hacking means gaining unauthorized access to services/databases.
denial of service means flooding the services with enough (regular-anonymous-not-requiring-authorization) requests so that they become unresponsive for others.

you people should educate yourself first before spreading FUD.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   

oh and for the record, if all they want is redirecting ALL domestic requests to a single website in case of some event, taking over dns servers is the most stupid way possible to do it.

seriously, such theory is so stupid it's epic.

all they would need to do (and i can bet they've done it long time ago) is force all the ISPs to give them such switch. your device tries to access whatever IP address or send whatever dns request - you'll get redirected to a specific address automatically, by the ISP. no mayhem you're describing needed, at all. as a matter of fact, many ISPs - at least here - are using such solution for their own purposes, for example when you're out of data limit or your sim card isn't registered, you'll get redirected to ISP's website and that's the only thing you'll be able to access.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join