It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-enlist, or it's back to Iraq!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
My alma mater sent me this story, which is similarly devoid of information content as all the others they send me.

Apparently, someone has alleged that the Army is threatening soldiers with the prospect of an additional Iraq deployment, should they fail to re-enlist. Here's the link to the story by the Associated Press.

Army Denies Threatening Troops

Of course, in the story there are no specifics whatsoever, typical of the military, but not so representative of the AP. Has anyone else heard of this, or is anyone currently serving in the 3rd BCT, which by the way, kicks lots of culo?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Same thing happens with the National Guard. Before you leave the service, they say, you'd better join the National Guard, or you're going to get called up with the IRR!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Actually, this happens before you join the service. Every soldier, airman, sailor, and marine is fully aware that they are signing an 8 year contract, regardless of the active duty requirement.

If only the parents, friends, wives and children were informed, there wouldn't be such a stink about IRR commitment.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think there wouldn't be such a stink if our leaders were more competent. No one wants to shirk their obligation, but to be called up because of a reckless government that has little or no regard for it's troops, that's when people raise a stink.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
How would those U.S. ATS members who havn't served in the military feel about signing up to help those who have already done their duty so they would avoid the blackmail of having to re-enlist or face more deployment in Iraq?

Why should these guys suffer the extra burden of re-deployment when there are capable candidates for service who havn't served at all?

mwm1331? Intelearthling? Jsobecky? Others? Have you already served?

Im just interested in your thoughts. If you support this war, but havn't served, do you feel it is your duty to take the pressure of those who have given?

edit: format

[edit on 6-10-2004 by cargo]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
mwm1331? Intelearthling? Jsobecky? Others? Have you already served?

I served in the early to mid 80's. It's just too bad that I served when it was peace time. I talked about trying to get back in, but I'm over the age limit. If push came to shove, I could get back in, but right now as it stands with two sons 13 and 15, the Army says that it wouldn't be a good choice to push it. I can still run 4 miles in the time requirement but that's BTP they tell me.

I have considered joining the IDF when my kids get a little older. Their cut-off age is 49. I believe that I'll still be in good shape even then.

[edit on 6/10/04 by Intelearthling]

new topics

top topics

join