It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First-Grader Arrested, Handcuffed After Fight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Am I the only one that thinks that American parents have lost complete controll over their children. Either the schools are drugging them with Ritalin. or they are out mugging people or raping 76 yr old women, or now the police arresting an 8 yr old for a school yard brawl? This is a lose/lose situation.

"TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Police handcuffed and arrested an 8-year-old boy after a fight and charged him with misdemeanor battery and criminal mischief.

First grader Isaac Sutton was arrested Monday by a Tallahassee police officer after a fight with a 10-year-old boy in his neighborhood. A police report says Isaac punched and slapped the other boy during an argument. The victim's mother called police. Isaac was taken to a juvenile center and released to his mother after midnight.

"This was children's stuff, a disagreement between two neighborhood kids," said Kathy Garner, Isaac's attorney. The boy's arrest was made public by his mother, Pamela Kelly.

It was the second time in recent weeks that a north Florida elementary school student has been booked by police for fighting. A 7-year-old in neighboring Jefferson County was arrested at school Sept. 1 for allegedly fighting another student, hitting a teacher and scratching a police officer."

www.local6.com...

IBM

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I say the police did a good job. If the parents cant parent, then the police will obviously have to do it.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
As the parent of a 6 yo boy, I can say that there is something seriously wrong when a child that young behaves that agressively.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Obviously that boy has problems to act that aggressively. You also kind of have to wonder why an 8 year old is only in First grade. Maybe he was held back in Kindergarten and has other problems that the article did not get into.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Well said. The kid has problems. The parents shouldn't be pointing their fingers at the police but rather at themselves.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Usually I agree with what police do but some cases are grey. I'm not completely sure about this one. I would have to investigate for myself and maybe the police did a good job.

But I believe that there is a big difference between a schoolyard bully or a child that rapes or does serious harm to someone else as opposed to two boys that get into a fist fight. What...No one here was ever in a fight when they were a little kid? There were lots of fights when I was in school but I don't remember anyone being arrested because of them.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Zerotime.... maybe they should have been.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Wait wait wait, it seems as if we are talking about a 15 year old. Not the case. THE BOY WAS 8!

handcuffs? seriously, how about "Corner Time"?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
yeah, every little kid that ever got into a fight should have been arrested. What a great idea. /sarcasm off.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Godssakes! This is how children usually settle their differences. A good fistfight can make a pair of boys friends. That was the case with me an' my bud Al anyway. It's been the basic problem solver since the beginning of time, and although not too reliable at fixing things, they sure build character. I can believe that crazy mother called the police on a small child...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtStarr
handcuffs? seriously, how about "Corner Time"?

Exactly! Getting the police involved in this was rediculous. I know I got into the odd fight at that age, as did many kids. It's part of growing up, you often learn from it. In fact, I remember as a kid most of the other kids you got into fights with you often ended up being best friends with them lol

Getting the police involved was just plain retarded unless the kid was coming into school with dangerous weapons in his bag, or was threatening to kill teachers e.t.c.

I know alot of kids are getting up to some crazy s@#t these days which is worrying, but this was definately one step too far.

I guess they're beating the message into them as early as possible now, "State Power Will WIN!!! Get in line!!!"

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Oh god. If this was in session when I went to school, almost everyone I know would have gone to jail at least 10 times.

Good thing I am not in 1st grade anymore.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Cowards, plain and simple. Cowards and tyrants do these things. They are loosening us up for total control, and total slavery. News articles such as this may have come from the top, from federal agencies and minions. I reject conventional explanations for this totally, it is another baloon from on high, to soften up the population to despicable cowardice, masquerading as public order. Instead of community policing, a talk, an invitation to join the Police Activities League, they haul the kid to jail. Shame!

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Kids these days sure are violent. My public school was the worst in the city I grew up in. For example, kids threw desks at teachers, fought in halls and school yards, bought kitchen knives to school undetected (because they couldn't afford detection), for a short time we had this thing called "the cage" across the street in a polish hall's parking lot.

To explain further, it was a 20ft cement wall corner fenced in 15ft, dimensions 20x20ft. The space was used to store ground keeping vehicles like tractors, but it was mostly empty and the entrance unlocked. This led to scheduled fights commencing with no retreat, not to mention the door being held by immature pre-teenagers. Some gruesome things happened in "the cage"... Eventually it was dismantled due to obvious reasons.

We had police cars circle the school yard frequently on schedules. Many of the school yard's play equipment was also dismantled for possible injury reasons. Among other things, I went to a really weird public school. Was I ever involved? No, I found it was easier to play as one of the neutral kids. Last time I checked the school was doing better, mainly due to the kids from my relevant grades being flushed out over the years.

So yes, as I said before, violence has become a problem, but who's to blame? Parents? Media? Television? All play some what of a factor I believe.

deaf fences hit

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Oh... Great... Now, not only are we turning into a police state, but the police are picking our children up when they fall out of line... I say arrest the parents for not bringing the kids up correctly. It is the duty of the parents to discipline and teach their kids right from wrong. In extremely rare cases, it may not be the parent's fault.. but for the most part, parents wont put their foot down, and stand up to their kid... they don't even care what their children do or how they act... I better get off my soapbox, or this will turn into a really long post. This world is going to hell in a handbasket, no doubt about that.

IBM

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The police should have after arresting the boy paid the family a visit and charged them for the babysitting services that they had provided the parents. Then they should have taken them to Jail too. After that they should have given them a rodney king style beating so that they would never ever fail to teach their kid. That would keep them straight. As for the kid, they should leave him in jail for a while so that he learns.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Man, it's scary to see that people are ready and willing to let this country turn into a police state.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yah, this kills me..

when I was in grade school.. you could fight until there was someone on the ground or blood...

the Principle and teachers would stand there and watch the fight until one of those two things happened...

made for some interesting days...

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I think arresting a kid for fighting is way out of line. Most little boys get into fights, it's just a normal part of growing up. The only parent that should be punished is the parent who wasted the police department's time for calling them over some trivial little quarrel that they could of resolved his/her-self.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Why the hell didnt the parent get off her ass and stop it instead of being a pansy and calling the cops. Are parents that ineffective and afraid now to even stop something like this? Hell take the garden hose to the little snots, if it works on dogs it should work on humans when they are acting like animals.

Who wants to put a bet on the victim's mother starting some law suit for a couple of million dollars?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join