It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Tomatoes Are Flavorless, Right? Here's Why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Source

I am not really concerned about tomatos as a whole, in fact I never have liked them but this caught my attention when I read the article.

Ironically, the investigators in the current study never got to taste the tomato and enjoy the results of their work. Safety regulations forbid researchers from sampling genetically modified foods until they are certified safe. That may happen in the future, but until then, plant scientists, like the rest of us, will be left to get by on supermarket tomatoes that may look a lot lovelier than the box they came in, but alas, taste pretty much the same.

Ok I would like to raise a question. If this statement is true, then how does Monsanto get away with it, if these scientists were never allowed to taste test until proven safe. It seems to me there is possibly a do as I say not as I do scenario here. I would like to pose this question to those that said the scientists were not allowed to taste their work. I see some inconsistency here.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

When the King's Taster is not even allowed to taste the King's food...indeed, the King already knows it's poisonous...

But, it's OK for us to eat, and give our money to the King for....

Des

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
They've bred the flavor out of fruits and vegetables in their pursuit of size.

Want a sweet, juicy orange or apple ~ go for the little ones. You'll never be disappointed, especially with the oranges.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

This is actually a very very important subject.

I believe that the flavor has been lost from our veggies because they have been trying to make them look OK so you will buy them for longer periods of time. So sometimes perfect looking fruit or veggie tastes like it is rotten but we will buy it. It is rotten actually and past date of being good for you but can sit in warehouse or in transit and the outside will remain unchanged and the tomato and other fruits will remain firm to the touch.

I don't think we had a problem with supermarket tomato or other foods until they started GMO's they are pretending they are not the ones who started this in the pursuit of ever preserved...looking...food.

So they broke it, now they are going to mess with it more so they can claim they FIXED it! Scary to me....
edit on 2-7-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The problem is that they pick everything now green.
nothing is left to ripen on the vine so to speak.

So of course you're going to get a bland product.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

How true! Same with tomatoes. If you want flavor, get the cherry or grape tomatoes. That past times I've purchased "vine ripened" tomatoes that are flavorless, their meat is like sawdust and seeds slimy like orkra! YUK Okra!

Chicken has been a real disappointment as well Unless I buy organic chicken, it comes out stringing, chewy and gamy. It must be the GM corn they're feeding them these days.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by aaaiii

How true! Same with tomatoes. If you want flavor, get the cherry or grape tomatoes. That past times I've purchased "vine ripened" tomatoes that are flavorless, their meat is like sawdust and seeds slimy like orkra! YUK Okra!

Chicken has been a real disappointment as well Unless I buy organic chicken, it comes out stringing, chewy and gamy. It must be the GM corn they're feeding them these days.

They inject the chicken with bleach which turns it rubbery, then they inject with flavored water to cover the taste of bleach how could that ever taste good...people should but local grown foods.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

What is the bleach supposed to do?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
reply to post by Char-Lee

What is the bleach supposed to do?

i SAW A RECENT tv SPECIAL SHOWING THE PROCESS, WHILE SOME PLANTS SPRAY THE BLEACH, IT WAS MADE LEGAL TO soak THE CHICKENS IN A BLEACH SOLUTION THAT IS FAR FAR STRONGER THE WHAT IS LEGAL IN RESTAURANTS TO WIPE COUNTERS TABLES AND DISH BATH...THEY LEAVE THEM OVER NIGHT AND THE TRY TO GET RIDE OF THE BLEACH SMELL AND TASTE WITH SALTWATER INJECTIONS AND OTHER METHODS.

Sorry didn't realize i hit CAPS LOCK :-)

[0005]The majority of live chickens and turkeys have salmonella, and at least two-thirds of the live poultry have "Campylobacter." Salmonella and Campylobacter are the two leading bacterial causes of food poisoning in the United States. According to the Center for Disease Control, there are 40,000 reported cases of salmonella poisoning and 600 deaths annually. The CDC estimates that the actual number of salmonella cases is approximately 30 times the number of reported events. Obviously, it is highly desirable for producers to deliver processed poultry with minimal incidence of these bacteria. For a number of reasons, however, government regulations allow up to a 50% incidence of salmonella on uncooked poultry sold for consumption. Assuming that the poultry is properly prepared for eating, there should be minimal risk of illness from bacterial poisoning. Obviously, from the statistics quoted previously, reliance on proper cooking and preparation by consumers is not dependable. In February 2006, the USDA announced an initiative to further reduce the incidence of salmonella in meat and poultry.

Read more: www.faqs.org...#ixzz1zV2qW1C3

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Nice to see information about this.

Last week I visited my parents and had a bbq . We picked the best looking tomatoes from the pack of three mom got from the local (corporate) grocer , planning to use it on burgers.

I cut a slice out of the thing and took a bite. I was surprised that such a large, colorful fruit had little to no taste and the taste it did have was bland and un-tomato-like.

Thought I must have eaten something that countered the taste of the 'mater, so I asked my mom to try it out. She tasted the same thing I did - almost nothing.

We cut the tomato in sandwich slices. Once the burgers were done everyone begin to line up to build their plate. We didn't really talk about it, but when everyone was done we noticed only a couple tomatoes were taken. Then when we looked at the plates, 3 of them had slices of tomatoes with 1 bite taken out and then laid on the plate...

Apparently the majority rule found the tomatoes to be worthless and borderline suspcious.

edited to clarify the tomato we used was store bought and not from parents garden. I mixed tomato and potato up in my head somehow
edit on 2-7-2012 by esteay812 because: update content

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Where I live most food is shipped a LONG way to get here.

This leaves it without the taste it should have. A friend's family grows peppers, and when they came to visit here and took one look at the peppers on their plate their only reaction was what-the-hell-is-this? The couldn't really understand why the peppers they were eating were so horrible.

Of course, eating nothing but local here would be quite difficult with the short growing season, so while I love the idea it isn't overly practical.

top topics

join