It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humvee with Laser Cannon in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   

The U.S. Army has built and tested a humvee equipped with a laser gun turret that can quickly destroy unexploded munitions and roadside bombs. The system, called Zeus-HLONS (HMMWV Laser Ordnance Neutralization System), uses an industrial solid state laser, normally used to cut metal, but can also ignite explosives up to 300 meters away. Normally, engineers have to approach such munitions (shells, cluster bombs aircraft bombs) or roadside bombs, place explosives next to it, then move away, trailing a detonator wire behind them, and then set off the explosive to destroy the bomb or unexploded munitions. Using the Zeus laser is a lot cheaper (a few cents per laser shot) and safer than the traditional method. Zeus is particularly useful when you have an area with a lot of unexploded munitions just lying about. The munitions are often unstable, meaning that just picking them up could set them off. The Zeus system can be fired up to 2,000 times a day. Last year, a Zeus-HLONS was sent to Afghanistan for six months last year, where it destroyed 200 items, including 51 in one 100 minute period.

Humvee with Laser

If the US is 'testing' this, what do you think is already 'in play' or behind this? Almost seems to me that we, and perhaps other nations, may already have working prototypes of vehicle mounted ground-to-air systems, perhaps even ground-to-ground systems....whatcha' think?
Thoughts?

seekerof

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Laser + Computer Aimpoint System = Deadly Accurate

Afganistan / Iraq is just Americas chance to flex it's millitary machine before invading the likes of China or NK.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
They have the same laser system mounted to the nose of a jetliner. Talk about death from above. The thing is, this tech has been around for a while. I first heard about the jetliner close to a year ago, so you know its been in development for much longer. Wonder what they are working on now?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Agreed Kidfinger, the US AirForce does have a few working prototypes of the YAL-1A flying around. We have a few threads on this within the ATS archives; interesting matter.

I'm not fully sure on what else the US may have lasers mounted on, besides a few other aircraft I know (ie: F-16, etc.), its the ground mounted versions that I am wondering myself about.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think it would also break up any crowd pretty quick.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Kozzy]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
As far as ground assault vehicles go, they couldnt make a better choice than the Humvee. With the additional armor plating, the speed and menuverability, and the low cost as compared to most ground assault vehicles, it would seem to be a perfect fit. Im wondering about the power source though. I seem to remember the ones on the plane required almost half the plane for space to store the power source.

Kozzy,
You might be right, but Ive not yet seen a microwave weapon in a square encasing. Ive only seen two styles, One round like a big spotlight, and the other about four feet long in an octoganal shape.

[edit on 10/6/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
As far as ground assault vehicles go, they couldnt make a better choice than the Humvee. With the additional armor plating, the speed and menuverability, and the low cost as compared to most ground assault vehicles, it would seem to be a perfect fit. Im wondering about the power source though. I seem to remember the ones on the plane required almost half the plane for space to store the power source.

Kozzy,
You might be right, but Ive not yet seen a microwave weapon in a square encasing. Ive only seen two styles, One round like a big spotlight, and the other about four feet long in an octoganal shape.
[edit on 10/6/04 by Kidfinger]

The laser in the plane is a chemical laser. It takes a lot of room to store the chemicals.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Excellent call. Does this piece of equipment belong to the engineers, or EOD?

Maybe they ought to use it on a raid and fry some insurgents just to get the idea into their heads that now we will cut them down with lasers. That might make them think about it. Nah, probably not.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
They have the same laser system mounted to the nose of a jetliner. Talk about death from above. The thing is, this tech has been around for a while. I first heard about the jetliner close to a year ago, so you know its been in development for much longer. Wonder what they are working on now?

Actually the laser on the 747 is a multi-megawatt chemical laser (COIL). The Zeus laser is a 10 kilowatt solid-state unit in it's current state of development. So there is a lot of difference between the two systems.
Here's a link to more about it: Laser armed Humvee
Also, the ABL (Airborne Laser) is for attacking airborn missiles in their launch phase. There is another laser being developed for the AC-130 which will give new meaning to the term "Scorched-Earth policy".

Originally posted by Kozzy
I actually that thing is a microwave gun, it's used for crowd control.
[edit on 6-10-2004 by Kozzy]

Actually the unit that Seekerof has pictured on his first post is indeed the Zeus laser system, it used primarily for neutralizing unexploded ground-munitions such as land mines.
What you are referring to however is the Active Denial System (ADS), which uses technology similar to that found in a microwave oven, the weapon's beam rapidly heats water molecules in the skin causing intolerable pain and a burning sensation.
You can find out more about it at the following link, New Scientist.Com

Originally posted by Seekerof
Agreed Kidfinger, the US AirForce does have a few working prototypes of the YAL-1A flying around. We have a few threads on this within the ATS archives; interesting matter.
seekerof

As usual, you are right - And here are just a few:

ABL: Airborne Laser

Directed Energy Weapons

Hope this helps~

Intelgurl

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Wow, someone with hard facts. Impressive. I would love to see more posts formatted like this. That's the way to deny ignorance. Less opinion, more hard intel.

Wadagurl !

Kudos to Seekerof also for finding the pic and starting the thread. I was not aware.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
As far back as the eighties I saw in a magazine called Armada a picture of an anti-air system made by MBB ( Messerschmit , Bolkow , Blom.) It was on a armored platform similar to a LAV25 W/ separate power unit I believe. And yes, Intelgurl whips some serious booty in the knowlege department doesn't she?

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I started a thread about possible new tech being deployed in Iraq and this thread adds to my belief that the US is battle testing the next generation military weapons in its current battles.

The change from the bow and arrow to guns was prob the last major land warfare tech upgrade, until now. This will make being a grunt even more scary. The 21st century has arrived.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
You guys are gonna make me blush...

Originally posted by bign
As far back as the eighties I saw in a magazine called Armada a picture of an anti-air system made by MBB ( Messerschmit , Bolkow , Blom.) It was on a armored platform similar to a LAV25 W/ separate power unit I believe.

You are referring to the HELEX - (High Energy Laser Experimental)
The project was started in the late 1970's and was still not operational in 1992. After the collapse of the Warsaw Pact / Soviet empire and the reunification of East & West Germany the German Federal Ministry of Defense abandoned the project.
The HELEX was to utilize a multi-megawatt CO2 chemical laser mounted to scaffolding atop a Leopard 2 armored vehicle.

Read more about it here:
GERMANY'S AIR DEFENSE LASER (HELEX)

Intelgurl

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Dear God I hope you're on our side. You're incredible.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   
So does this laser have enough power to kill humans? The reason i ask is that every time the coalition forces in Iraq or afghanstan bomb and isurgent position there is collateral damage. Could a laser be used to do the same thing in a more targeted way?

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
How many of these vehicles are fitted with lasers ???

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Why is it that they are not in place now where they are needed most?
If cost is a issue, that is not a excuse. Lives are being lost as a result of a lack of use now.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Intelgurl,

You are somethin else sweety.
Im glad your knowledge is always put to good use here. Thanks for the links, the info on the humvee was pretty cool.

Here she comes to save the day!

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jessemole
Why is it that they are not in place now where they are needed most?
If cost is a issue, that is not a excuse. Lives are being lost as a result of a lack of use now.

The problem GI's are facing regarding explosives, etc. is unexploded ordinance that they don't know about... ie: roadside bombs, booby traps, etc.
The Zeus is used for neutralizing ordinance that has already been identified and must be disposed of from a safe distance.

However, you still raise a good point, because deployment of the Zeus is currently in limbo due to a lack of acquisition funding. There is ongoing development and a few prototype vehicles overseas helping out in warzones, but if we are to get these lasers out to US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan then you need to write your congressman... Especially if your congressman is on the Defense Appropriations Committee.

Intelgurl

[edit on 7-10-2004 by intelgurl]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Jesus, Intelgurl, you never cease to amaze just about everyone on the thread where you post. And I'm still impressed.

You are the smartest woman alive!!!

[edit on 7-10-2004 by DeltaChaos]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join