It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need smooth soup ideas (not chix) for a sick person.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Hi please...
I have a friend in the hospital, with multiple health issues. She is recovering from a bout of pneumonia contracted when her chemo for lung cancer left her white blood count so low it could not fight the infection.

She is actually hoping to be released soon but because the cancer is a lump behind her esophagus it is hard to swallow or even chew chunky foods. She has a hard time eating anything but soft foods like egg salad sandwiches and soups.
She is planning to live on Campbells but I think those items are too salty and imagine it will get boring.

I am looking for some nutritious smooth foods like soups (that aren't chicken soup) because that is all she has been getting at the hospital. She can't have sugar - shes diabetic. Anyway I would like to prepare (or buy!) a few varieties of soup, or any kind of soft main dish type thing that will be nutritious and also taste good as a break from the Campbells. If you know a boxed brand especially great - do tell!

Any ideas, recipes or favorites will be greatly appreciated. I am not much of a cook, have no ideas and don't know where to begin. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
You can get broths at the store. Spice them to the persons taste and add noodles or rice for texture. DON"T use the packet of spice that comes with the noodles. Mostly salt. Also make sure the rice is fully cooked.

ETA: I've always been fond of French Pea soup. That's a cream soup though.
edit on 30-6-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A potato soup if cooked properly could be good, enough broth and a little mashing might do the trick for consistency.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I am so sorry for your friend. I have a suggestion that I learned about when I had my jaws wired shut after jaw surgery many years ago.

Make what ever dinner she wants, then stick it in a blender until it is the consistency of a soup. Do that with entrees desserts, fruits and veggies. Place each in a different cup with straw.

FYI if the WBC is so low you need to be wary of what is called neutropenia. And even if the WBC is up, it is wise to keep away from yogurts, and fresh flowers.

As for being a diabetic, they use splenda

EDIT: Diet....Here is what to avoid for low white blood count www.nhlcyberfamily.org...

Blessings..
edit on 30-6-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

When I'm really sick I always like to have Tofu Miso Soup. Has good nutritional value, antioxidants, etc., and tastes excellent. Plus, it's a thin soup so very easy to eat & digest. Here's some info:

Health Properties Of Miso Soup:
www.livestrong.com...

And here's a recipe:
vegetarian.about.com...
edit on 30-6-2012 by KireDj because: (no reason given)

Hope your friend gets well soon!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Roast some cauliflower in oven till soft and good and brown on top. Brown some onions and a bit of bacon slowly in a sauce pan.Pour off most all of grease leaving about a tablespoon in pan.Using swanson chicken stock/broth, cream or whole milk,(about 1/2 and 1/2 with chix stock and cream) salt and pepper. Heat all together. Put roasted cauliflower in blender add wet mixture (a little at a time to desired consistency) and spin away. Add more wet ingredients till it is a good soup consistency.
Enjoy Can do it with a mix of veggies or just different vegetables alone. Carrot and apple is good,broccolli, winter squashes work well also.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is my secret recipe for pumpkin soup it's awesome!
1 butternut pumpkin
4 med sized potatoes
1 onoin
1 zucchini
2 table spoons go veggeta veggie stock
2-3teaspoons of curry powder
1 liter of water
cream for taste when served

Simple but absolutely Devine

Good luck with your friend

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's not only salt that's bad in most soups, it's the MSG.
It's very hard to find MSG free broths and canned soups where I live. It's best to make ones own broth but I understand that it's not readily available.

I love turmeric in soups, it's got great anti cancer proprieties.
If you need a bit more protein, I suggest to break open an egg in soup.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Double post for no reason, please erase me if you can ^^
edit on 30-6-2012 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I take it you didn't want any chicken soup recipes so I am linking you one of my favorite clam chowder recipes. You can leave out what your friend might not be able to get down and also as for the potato's you can blend them up if need be with any of the other veggies. As for the clams, you can just use clam juice and leave out the clams themselves. All in all, I have never had a clam chowder as good as this!

Clam chowder

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Sweet Potato, Chilli & Coriander cream soup is my favourite when im ill......

2 X Sweet potatoes
1 x Medium sized Onion
1 x Large Potato
2 x Tablespoons of chopped Coriander
1 x Large Carrot
1 x Parsnip (optional)
1 x Clove of garlic
1.5 x Litres of Chicken stock or veg stock
A splash of cream or half a cup of milk to whiten.
Salt & Pepper.
Half a small mild chilli deseeded

Roughly chop everything, add to stock, simmer for 45 mins ,Blend well , add coriander S&P and cream and maby a little more stock if its too thick.

Nutritious and tasty and very good for the blood,keeps for 3-4 days in fridge.
edit on 30-6-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wow! These are all really great replies. They all sound so good and easy to do.
Some very excellent ideas here and I would like to thank each of you for sharing them.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You can get broths at the store. Spice them to the persons taste and add noodles or rice for texture. DON"T use the packet of spice that comes with the noodles. Mostly salt. Also make sure the rice is fully cooked.

ETA: I've always been fond of French Pea soup. That's a cream soup though.
edit on 30-6-2012 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

This is simple and a great idea because it is something she can prepare herself if she had to. I can supply a variety of broths and a variety of the mix-ins such as rice, grains and even the ramen noodles without the spice. I think she can have cream so the pea soup would be good too, for variety. Appreciate the help.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthart
Roast some cauliflower in oven till soft and good and brown on top. Brown some onions and a bit of bacon slowly in a sauce pan.Pour off most all of grease leaving about a tablespoon in pan.Using swanson chicken stock/broth, cream or whole milk,(about 1/2 and 1/2 with chix stock and cream) salt and pepper. Heat all together. Put roasted cauliflower in blender add wet mixture (a little at a time to desired consistency) and spin away. Add more wet ingredients till it is a good soup consistency.
Enjoy Can do it with a mix of veggies or just different vegetables alone. Carrot and apple is good,broccolli, winter squashes work well also.

I love the cauliflower recipies.

Take the above recipie and to add a great twist, add a bit of crumbed gorgonzola cheese in the blender and whip until smoth, it'll make your mouth water.

Another comfort food I like is ground hamburger, add cream of mushroom soup with 1 cup of milk, served over whipped mashed potatoes. You can ground up the hamburger in a food processor so it's not too chunky.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
A potato soup if cooked properly could be good, enough broth and a little mashing might do the trick for consistency.

This sounds good too. I could saute up some leeks and boil the potatoes in chix stock or broth or add it after I drain the cooked potatoes.I'll have to look for a recipe as I'm thinking "just add milk & onions to mashed potatoes until it's thinned to soup consistency. Pretty sure that's not how it's done.
Thanks for your reply.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

I am so sorry for your friend. I have a suggestion that I learned about when I had my jaws wired shut after jaw surgery many years ago.

Make what ever dinner she wants, then stick it in a blender until it is the consistency of a soup. Do that with entrees desserts, fruits and veggies. Place each in a different cup with straw.

FYI if the WBC is so low you need to be wary of what is called neutropenia. And even if the WBC is up, it is wise to keep away from yogurts, and fresh flowers.

As for being a diabetic, they use splenda

I never heard of neutropenia but it's good to know. They are very worried about infection and bacteria around her now. I copied the chart and will fax it to her. Wonder if there is yogurt without the bacteria? That's one of the things she loves. Thanks so much for all the thoughtful, great info.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by KireDj

When I'm really sick I always like to have Tofu Miso Soup. Has good nutritional value, antioxidants, etc., and tastes excellent. Plus, it's a thin soup so very easy to eat & digest. Here's some info:

Health Properties Of Miso Soup:
www.livestrong.com...

And here's a recipe:
vegetarian.about.com...

Hope your friend gets well soon!

Thanks for the well wishes. I love miso soup but I wasn't aware of how healthy it really is until reading your link- so thanks for that. It seems easy enough to make. I think I'll buy a small amount pre-made first to see if she likes it. Very interesting info and thanks again for responding so quickly! ATS peeps are the best.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

This sounds good too. I could saute up some leeks and boil the potatoes in chix stock or broth or add it after I drain the cooked potatoes.I'll have to look for a recipe as I'm thinking "just add milk & onions to mashed potatoes until it's thinned to soup consistency. Pretty sure that's not how it's done. Thanks for your reply.

My wife makes a potato soup with leeks, she boils the crap outta it and its consistency is pretty much that of runny oat meal, its fairly decent she melts some Velveeta and milk in it.... dang mouth started watering, I gotta go raid her recipe books and see what it is exactly.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthart

This is great! Sounds delicious (hope she likes cauliflower!) but as you say, I can use broccoli or potato or even squash and things like that. Roasted carrot and apple sounds very interesting. And it's easy. I can turn on the oven and roast almost anything. The rest of the recipe is not too hard either. Thanks a lot for your reply.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CONEDESTROYA
This is my secret recipe for pumpkin soup it's awesome!
1 butternut pumpkin
4 med sized potatoes
1 onoin
1 zucchini
2 table spoons go veggeta veggie stock
2-3teaspoons of curry powder
1 liter of water
cream for taste when served

Simple but absolutely Devine

Good luck with your friend

So I boil all these ingredients and they will soften up for me? Maybe I have to mash it up a little and you take the skins off everything or leave them on? I love curry spice and I usually use a paste. This does sound very good though and I will definitely try to make it since I usually have all these ingredients except of course the pumpkin. When you say butternut pumpkin squash can you tell me if it is orange in color and completely round or light beige and shaped bigger on one end like a moracca. One of them I have in the oven right now! We call it a butternut squash, the lighter color one and the other is the Halloween pumpkin which make a great soup too.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join