It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKTHROUGH: Scientists Invent Particles That Will Let You Live Without Breathing

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Intravenous drip? That could prolong the use of it some, maybe.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamer99
reply to post by xEphon

Then the problem then becomes about expelling the extra carbon dioxide from the bloodstream.

There's two ways I would imagine them doing this. First, they could come up with a type of blood filter, which doesn't sound very great. I doubt that would be feasible in the near future.

Maybe you could do this by somehow invking the Krebs cycle and use the cabon atoms and release the oxygen back into the blood stream. Then it would be closed loop might need pressure relief valve.

I think I might of caused this to happen once while drink 100 proof C 3 H 7 OH, as I was holding my breath it was very hard to keep holding it then all of a sudden it was easy. I did notice a red glow around my entire body. I have no ideal what the red glow was about, but I did decide to start breathing again. I held my breath so long, I scared myself into breathing again.

Now that would be the ticket some how make oxygen available for red blood cells to pick up, cause even with this other stuff you need blood flow. Oh well some day

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

If this only oxygenates your blood then it still creates a problem with speech, since it works by forcing air through the voice box and then through your mouth. This is all supplied by the lung, to go around the lungs would mean that a human would have no air supply to exhale with, if I am understanding this right. Maybe I'm not.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
These are very interesting and exciting times to be living in. What will they think of next? Reviving dead bodies?

But come to think of it, in the near future, people will almost surely become half-robotic as their organs will be increasingly replaced with mechanical/electrical ones. Then a very ailing body might be supported with a lot of mechanical organs. If that happens, then I can see no reason why people couldn't live forever(or at least for a very long time).

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

You avatar

Try it out.

You might want to use it as a background image because it is so long.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

I lost near and dear relatives to that disease and whom by any era's standards would've been deemed obese. My paternal grandmother and great aunt (she lost both of her legs and eyesight near the end), a non blood related uncle, my paternal grandfather had it and it probably contributed to his death although he was in his 90s. There are a million factors into obesity and diabetes, the primary factor being genetics. I have a cousin who has battled diabetes his entire life, he is obese, but has never been lazy. All of my siblings and father are at risk for diabetes but most not at risk to become obese since my mother's side of the family has been historically skinny. Genetics.

Nobody decides to be obese. Nobody decides to have diabetes. Every working taxpayer with insurance pays high premiums. There are better focal points for angst and blame than the ill themselves.

I should not have devolved into the name calling thing.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Really good news. At least there are some good news.
Let's hope more good news like this one occur in these dark times we live in.

Starred and flagged.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This is fantastic news and I know how some people may truly benefit from this such as those with severe allergies where steroids can only go so far, and maybe for swimmers/surfers? I would flag this story but I'm not sure which button to press :X

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
If we prove that the God Particle exists, will it vanish in a puff of logic?

Jokes aside, I was excited to hear that they are close to confirming its existence. Of course it's not set in stone and 99.9% probability is pretty darn high but still not the 100%. But then again, what is 100% in this field of science?

For those of you saying that the Higgs Boson is an atom, it is not. It's what gives atoms mass, otherwise all atoms would be traveling at the speed of light.

To quote Hinchliffe:

A Higgs boson is an excitation - a fleeting, grainy representation - of the Higgs field, which extends throughout space and gives all other particles their mass.

www.ibtimes.co.uk...

However, calling it the "God" particle is quite ironic because originally it was meant as "Can't find the GODdamn particle", and now it's being understood that the theories may in fact be correct and it is the cause of all life as we know it. However, don't confusing this as the "all mighty", just because this particle exist, it doesn't disprove any religion, only reinforces the true mystery and beauty of nature.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
this is amazing! havn't read all the replies but is it safe to assume this could be used by lifesavers etc at the beach to quickly oxygenate the blood to keep people from drowning after being pulled from the ocean?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
great ! i'll be able to collect oasd (social security) even if i'm not breathing.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
OH. MY. GOD.

Being a Premed student, the news of this weighs heavy.

This means extreme reforms from the current methods of life preservation.

For Example, a guy driving loses control of his vehicle at 70mph, car rolls he flies out broken ribs punctured lung extreme trauma the guys gonna die due to the inability of the brain to receive oxygenated blood. WRONG! Technology MFing science comes in and the arriving paramedics are able to administer this little drug immediately feeding his brain and other vital organs.

Technology has just overcome Fate ladies and gentlemen.

Substitute car accident with bullet wound, assailant stabbing, stroke, ANYTHING.

We are the new religion. God Bless our nature.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The biggest leap forward will be when this makes it into aid bags and into ambulances.

Could be bigger than IV's.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I may be strolling off topic, but are these oxygenated microparticles expensive? Because if the future beholds a success for these particles, I'd expect them to be purchasable for people at home as an essential ingredient. Also do they carry any form of risk?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join