It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will people learn not to post personal stuff on FB?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It just amazes me how naive people are when it comes to posting personal info on FB or Twitter or any where really on the internet. I've read stories where a lawyer finds pictures in favor of their client whether it be over child custody or divorce. Then some post pictures of their small kids, albeit some are adorable, but to me, that's exposing them to outside predators.

Whether it's through a smart phone or computer, some people no longer use sensible and logical judgement when it comes to posting facts about themselves or family/friends.

In this case, a young girl posted a picture of some money on her bed only to be robbed hours later by one of her "friends" [cough, cough] from FB:

Teenage girl posts picture of cash on Facebook, family robbed within hours Read more: www.digitaltrends.com...

May 29, 2012

As mentioned by the BBC News recently, a 17-year-old girl was visiting her grandmother in Sydney, Australia when she took a picture of a ”large sum of cash” while helping her grandmother count her cash savings at the home. The teenager posted the picture on her Facebook feed around 4 p.m. on Thursday May 24. Approximately seven hours later, two masked men armed with a wooden club and a knife entered the girl’s family home 75 miles away in the town of Bundanoon. Upon entering the family home, the men found the 47-year-old mother of the girl as well as a 58-year-old man and 14-year-old boy, likely her father and brother. Read more: www.digitaltrends.com...

www.digitaltrends.com...

And for people going through a divorce, beware:

According to a new survey by Divorce-Online, a British legal service, Facebook was a factor in one-third of all divorce filings in 2011.

Although the social media site is extremely popular, it can also be damaging to someone’s case if they are filing for divorce or legal separation.

A number of divorce lawyers in South Dakota are using Facebook as a tool to find out what their clients’ spouses are doing behind their backs. Source: Divorce Lawyers (s.tt...)

“You can find good evidence of bad behavior on Facebook,” said Khoroosi. “You can use it to cross-examine the person who made the statement.

In some cases, you can use it to introduce through your client,” Khoroosi said. Khoroosi explains he has found evidence of cheating, criminal activity and addiction on Facebook.

“It can be something as simple as relationship status that could make a difference in a divorce case if alleging adultery,” Khoroosi said. “If you’re the side using the evidence getting on Facebook, consider it a good source and if you’re on the other side, you’re not so happy with it.” Source: Divorce Lawyers (s.tt...)

The most cited reasons for including Facebook evidence in divorce proceedings were:

- Negative comments or posts about the spouse or between spouses
- Improper social messages to members of the opposite sex

Attorneys often warn their clients to be mindful of what they post on Facebook and even what others post about them. Tagged photographs or location check-ins can have negative implications for divorce proceedings. They can be used as evidence in child custody, alimony or parenting time determinations.

With child custody cases, many parents have lost their case due to pictures posted that contradicted what they told the lawyer.

One lady lost custody because she posted pictures of herself partying, which seems to be a common thing on FB. But not good when you're in a child custody case.
One father lost custody due to the fact he made posts stating he was around ex-convicts. He of course denied this but the posts on FB said otherwise. Not to mention the pictures. Though this may not be illegal it certainly brought into question the fitness of the parenting in the middle of a child custody dispute.

And then we have the unsupervised teenagers. Aaaahhh, yes, them.

The ones that brag about their latest fling or bad mouth their best friend for stealing their girlfriend/boyfriend. Or maybe show off their latest shopping spree finds or talk trash about Mom or Dad. Or now, "sexting" - is that even a legit word??

It's also turned out to be the main stage for Bullying. So sad..... that needs to stop but how? Maybe parents need to be more aware of the kid's FB activities and chats....
But then grown ups are just as bad about lying and bullying on FB as that middle aged woman was where she tormented the teenage girl that eventually committed suicide a year or so ago.

In fact, I was trying trying to look that case up and was blown away at the number of kids who have committed suicide due to bullying via some kind of social network site. Unbelievable.... is the usage of the internet making people meaner? Easier to verbally attack some one through twitter or FB? And once again, there's evidence when or if the times comes to prove any wrong doing.

I myself enjoy the internet but I use with caution. Yet I have not given in to the big demand of digital trends. I'm kinda like a rebellion, I don't go with the flow, so to speak. Plus being from the "old school" I quite haven't got the taste for being dependent on a gadget and telling the whole world my business. But that's just me.

Seeing as this is where every thing is headed, social media that is, maybe one day I might take the plunge, just not yet. I don't see why other than my immediate family, why some stranger would care to hear about my families camping trip or a trip to the dentist. I can always e-mail pictures to my family members.

Hell, I don't even have a smart phone. Still got the flip phone. Our friend drives us up the wall with his "smart" phone, doing dumb things,so I figured that makes up for us not having one. HA!!

I just hope we haven't turned into a self-absorbed society where all we care about is texting, twittering, FB....

Goes to show, some one is watching, "friend" or not, just be careful ~~~

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Well, it would be the same thing as going into the middle of a crowded area populated mostly by people you know and yelling your business. I would say these people literally border on mental retardation. I am not using that as a crude insult, I mean it, literally.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by shug7272

Well, that young lady was in for a rude awakening when her "friend" from FB came to pay her a visit.

Young kids need more monitoring from grown-ups when it comes to these so-called "friends" and what info they expose to them.

The internet is known for the ability to remain anonymous, so how can you for sure trust what a stranger over the web tells you? You can't....

~~~~~~~~

A buddy of ours was telling us oh, he's got a hot chic from Russia that he chats with and we're like how can you tell what she looks like? He said 'cause she sent me some pictures of her. So our reply was - prove it-- you can't.....

We started kidding him about her actually being 400 lbs. with zits and snaggled tooth with flaming red hair that hasn't shaved under her arms in 30 years... nat-butter and all. LOL !!!!!!!!

Needless to say, after laughing so hard he was crying, he told us to shut the 'eff up "cause we ruined his image.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Originally posted by snarky412

Well, that young lady was in for a rude awakening when her "friend" from FB came to pay her a visit.
It was only a couple paragraphs. If you had read it, you would have known that you're way off with that statement.

....a 17-year-old girl was visiting her grandmother in Sydney, Australia when she took a picture of a ”large sum of cash” while helping her grandmother count her cash savings at the home. The teenager posted the picture on her Facebook feed around 4 p.m. on Thursday May 24.

Approximately seven hours later, two masked men armed with a wooden club and a knife entered the girl’s family home [color=FFF08C]75 miles away in the town of Bundanoon. Upon entering the family home, the men found the 47-year-old mother of the girl as well as a 58-year-old man and 14-year-old boy, likely her father and brother.

After the girl’s mother convinced the two armed men that her daughter no longer lived at the address, they “took a small amount of cash and other personal property before leaving the house” according to the official police statement regarding the incident.

www.digitaltrends.com...

Idiots went to the wrong house.

There actually is a positive side to this particular story: Grandma now knows that even though the girl is now 17, she is still just a dumb kid, and cannot be trusted. Also, hopefully grandma learned not to keep large amounts of cash at home.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
People are ignorant!

I got friends who post statuses such as...

"I'm hours away from home on vacation! Wont be back for days! The house is empty! except for a moody non threatening cat that I am worried about while I am gone. At least the cat has a new 100 inch plasma LCD super turbo Golden HD TV to keep it company. I left the spare key under the door mat!"

well maybe thats an exaggeration... lol...
but its not too far from the truth...

I am only friends with people I know and trust in real life...

and yet still I do not post when I am not home or junk like that!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I think alot learn when they think they've hidden the nude/sex photo's well enough and then someone hacks their account or they mess up the privacy settings with all their details to the world on 4chan and probably to their school/family/friends email addresses

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
While not a Facebook user or fan I am grateful to it and its users naivety for its enlightening properties.
My partner of fifteen years and two children split up last year. We shared everything including passwords etc.
Her messages enlightened me as to why she excised me from our relationship and family.
While I stayed at home with our beloved children as she pursued her distinguished academic career going to conferences, giving papers and going for overseas interviews for lecturing posts, etc it was only through perusing her facebook page that I stumbled upon her Kissy Kissy private messages between her and an esteemed academic colleague.

So while I detest social networking for its ability to extract personal information from willingly naive fools, It turned out to be a (brief) window of enlightenment to my girlfriend's betrayal.
So thanks Zuckerberg, Hurtful as it was knowledge is better than ignorance.

And to answer the OP's question my answer lies in my username.

Humans Eh?

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I think it just comes down to people not really knowing (or caring) how social networking works.

The thing that gets me is how so much drama is instigated by it. I have a friend, she's quite a lonely girl, three kids at a young age, and desperate for some friends whom she can (though it is horrible to say it) cling to for dear life, because she is that lonely. Every little thing in her life goes onto her Facebook, if someone's pissed her off, someone has hurt her feelings, or details of arguments with her other half, and then she wonders why people get fed up with her and lash out.
Social networking is a blessing and a curse, it can't replace friends you see in a physical world, and it works to only exaserbate those feelings of being left out when the friends you do have are doing things without you because you have kids to look after.
She even put her phone number on her profile, and was surprised when she started getting creepy text messages from an unknown number.

I feel sorry for her, and I like her a lot, but her neediness is a big put off, and we've fallen out once in the past before because she's so clingy.

Understanding how and why she uses it like that, I can let it go; but one thing she does that I don't agree with is putting pictures of her kids up when they're ill or hurt... And they're ill or hurt quite a lot more often than I would have thought possible, starting to think she might have a touch of Münchhausen Syndrome...

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

edit on 29-6-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

top topics

join