It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got a false positive on a Polygraph test today, share your experiences.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I've been conditioning for a natural bodybuilding competition for 5 months now, and today being 2 days out from the show I had to take a polygraph. I was asked about 6 questions and the lady told me there was one question where I had a little "activity". I thought it could be negotiated with but when I called the competition promoter she said that there's nothing she or I can do about it and that whether you're lying or not a failed polygraph is a failed polygraph. I then went home and researched false positives(those who are telling the truth but failed) and there are quite a few cases. After more research I concluded that polygraphs have no scientific basis for judgment and that it's a huge scam. I feel cheated and that everything was for nothing. For the record I've been natural since I started lifting and I've always advocated doing everything the clean/right way. I asked to do a urine test but they won't do it until after the show, which I am no longer qualified for. Share your experiences with polygraphs.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a machine taking a glorified pulse doesn't have the ability to record what a person said, saw, felt and intent from a brain and that only the subject has experienced and the person administrating can't confirm nor deny, or even have a friggin clue to begin with, because he or she wasn't even $%*#ing there.

i'm shocked.

edit on 28-6-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Thyhorrorcosmic

I have no experience with polygraphs...but I do feel badly about your situation...from one human to another...who does care. I recently started going to the gym...and to get in shape I have a long way to go...but at least I am doing it. I see a lot of young men at the gym...and I watch sometimes while I am working out too...(as we all do) and I see how hard they work at their bodily fitness. You have worked hard...and now this disappointment. I suggest that you don't give up and enter another contest in the future. By taking good care of yourself you are setting a good example for your friends and family too. I hope things get better soon.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I have no experience with polygraphs...but I do feel badly about your situation...from one human to another...who does care. I recently started going to the gym...and to get in shape I have a long way to go...but at least I am doing it. I see a lot of young men at the gym...and I watch sometimes while I am working out too...(as we all do) and I see how hard they work at their bodily fitness. You have worked hard...and now this disappointment. I suggest that you don't give up and enter another contest in the future. By taking good care of yourself you are setting a good example for your friends and family too. I hope things get better soon.

Thanks for the kind words, but I think that unseen forces have a way of guiding us through our lives and that this situation happened for a reason. From knowing how hard I've worked and how much I've sacrificed I know there must be a good reason my guides or a higher power would have made this happen literally two days away from the competition. Bright side is all of this won't go to waste because I've had plans of walking onto my college's track team, so I have to stay around this weight anyways. Time off, a little vacation then back to work chasing my goals.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Who made the Polygraph rule?

A questionable science that is not even admissible in court - - because it has so many variables.

At best its a tool - - to determine the possibility if a person needs to be looked at closer.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Some moron who wants innocent people in jail.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thyhorrorcosmic
reply to post by Annee

Some moron who wants innocent people in jail.

A moron Yes - definitely.

But you can't even go to jail from a polygraph test.

Is this a private organization?

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Oh well its their loss, there are probably other competitions out there that are run much better.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
When I was a biopsychology major in college years ago, we played around with the polygraph machine, learned how it worked, and how flawed it really is.

It measures electrical impulses on the surface, and supposedly, when somebody is lying, they are more fidgety and uncomfortable trying to hide it, therefore the polygraph is supposed to pick up on this added "stress".

It is inherently flawed, because many things can cause people to respond in less than a relaxed manner. In fact, we practiced with it, and were able to get false positives easily. I remember the professor saying that, if you wanted to invalidate a polygraph, simply put a small sharp stone in your shoe by your toe, and each time a question is asked, poke your toe with the rock, and you will naturally get a "spike" in the reading for each question asked. When you get a spike for telling the truth about your name, address, etc., the test is invalid.

It's all garbage, and any organization that relies solely on a polygraph is silly, uninformed, and probably not worth your time.

Sorry it happened, though. Perhaps, as you said, there's a reason for it, so maybe in the end, it'll be a good thing that you didn't participate.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I think that unseen forces have a way of guiding us through our lives and that this situation happened for a reason. From knowing how hard I've worked and how much I've sacrificed I know there must be a good reason my guides or a higher power would have made this happen literally two days away from the competition.

Thats a great attitude you have adopted THC. I can see why you are successful in your training.

The question of the polygraphs reliability is something that the competitions judges do need to be aware of. It does seem archaic that they hold this as a measure of 'truth' given its not admissible in courts for its known inaccuracies. It should at the very least be accompanied by a urine/blood test before disqualifying a competitor.

Also, makes you wonder how many have competed that weren't 'clean' but somehow managed to pass the test....

Good luck for the bigger & better opportunities that this disappointment will bring for you.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

To test you like that was one of several available valid methods open to them and since it is a competition I see nothing wrong with its use.

BUT ...

To discard you to the scrapheap
after just one test is absolutely shortsighted and unproffessional in the extreme!

Personal Disclosure: This competition was unworthy of your talents and it is the overcoming of setbacks that is the true measure of any athlete! Good luck and better luck next time!

new topics

top topics

join