It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun lessons for children at Plumpton College criticised.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just a quick one.

Shooting lessons for children aged eight years and upwards at a college in Sussex have been criticised.

The lessons at Plumpton College, near Lewes, will teach children how to use shotguns and air rifles.

Members of the Green Party have criticised the lessons as a shift towards American attitudes to guns.

This is complete and utter nonsense, I remember going on an adventure holiday when I was 9 years old and going a rifle range with airguns. There were no fears and it didn't do any of us any harm.

None of my former classmates have turned into gunmen/women and it was fun to have a bit of target practise. Our parents knew about it and there was no fuss.

However, the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC), said the course teaches children how to handle guns in a responsible way.

Exactly! The education I got from the rifle training I got still sticks with me today, 22 years later! 'Never point a rifle in someones direction, even if you think it's not loaded or the safety is on'. It stuck with me all my life.

Imagine if children weren't taught these basic principals and then in their later youth acquired a gun! They would be idiots with it.

The Green Party can blow me with this stance because they don't have a clue what they're talking about... Children have been taught how to safely use rifles for decades! *rant over*

BBC NEWS

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
As for shotguns, I can only imagine a late teen would be able to use one of these due to the power of them. An 8 year old firing a shotgun would just be stupid, it would probably break their shoulder/arm but obviously the way it is worded could make some people think that they are getting 8 year olds to fire shotguns... Yeah right, ok then.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Teaching people that firearms are not evil living monsters that "just go off" and kill people for no reason?

How will they ever get all the anti-gun legislation passed around the world if people find out that the tool called

"The firearm" is able to be used in a safe manner and doesn't automatically kill anyone who walks into the room
Silly fools what are they thinking giving knowledge to people

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I have an 8 year old who has a 20ga. shotgun. He has no problem shooting stationary targets. There's not much kick.

-SC

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SkullCreek

Cool, I have never fired a shotty myself. I always assumed they had massive kick.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I would think because you Americans have the right to bear arms, learning how to use them safely and effectively would be a very good idea. Also, hand/eye coordination exercises can only be viewed by me as a good thing. Actually, trapshooting should be next on the schedule.
edit on 28-6-2012 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Until rather recently society deemed it abnormal for a boy of 8 not to know how to use a rifle. Gun safety must be learned early on.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

Cool, I have never fired a shotty myself. I always assumed they had massive kick.

I actually prefer a 20Ga. for clay pigeons. 12Ga. kicks pretty good. With the recoil of the 20, I feel it's easier to sight the second shot.

Come visit South Carolina in the US. I'll take you to my home range. They have a Class 3 firearms license. You can shoot fully auto machine guns! Now THAT is fun.

cheers,

-SC

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

Until rather recently society deemed it abnormal for a boy of 8 not to know how to use a rifle. Gun safety must be learned early on.

We have no toy guns in our house. Since the boy has been making guns with sticks, we have been instructing him in the proper use of firearms.

Actually It's not all me. My father-in-law is the one who gives me advice on children and guns. He raised 5 kids around guns on a farm and it seems to have worked for him. Besides, the boy really enjoys it.

-SC

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I guess I could say firearms have always been a passion of mine. I have my grandfather to thank for teaching me everything he knew. He was awesome he instructed since the late 40's and was just a wealth of info.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkullCreek

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

I actually prefer a 20Ga. for clay pigeons. 12Ga. kicks pretty good. With the recoil of the 20, I feel it's easier to sight the second shot.

Come visit South Carolina in the US. I'll take you to my home range. They have a Class 3 firearms license. You can shoot fully auto machine guns! Now THAT is fun.

cheers,

-SC

Now that sounds really cool!
I hate what machine guns are designed for but boy, I would love to fire one!

top topics

join