It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas hacks UAV drone with budget of 1k

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
rt.com...

Well I feel a little bit better knowing that if these things are flying over our homes and land that they can indeed be hijacked. I bet the DHS is crapping their pants knowing that all the billions they spend on security is for nothing. About as useful as the TSA!

Humphrey tells Fox News that for a few hundreds dollar his team was able to “spoof” the GPS system on board the DHS drone, a technique that involves mimicking the actual signals sent to the global positioning device and then eventually tricking the target into following a new set of commands. And, for just $1,000, Humphreys says the spoofer his team assembled was the most advanced one ever built.
“Spoofing a GPS receiver on a UAV is just another way of hijacking a plane,” Humphreys tells Fox. The real danger here, however, is that the government is currently considering plans that will allow local law enforcement agencies and other organizations from coast-to-coast to control drones of their own in America’s airspace.
“In five or ten years you have 30,000 drones in the airspace,” he tells Fox News. “Each one of these could be a potential missile used against us.”

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stigup

I don't see this as a big deal.
It's a software issue.

Some added encryption and keys. Maybe an authentication handshake on initial connection with the drone.
For added security you can rotate the keys on every mission.

From what I've read before most drones have been having issues with hacking because most of the signal is in the clear. This might be the issue here.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stigup
rt.com...

Well I feel a little bit better knowing that if these things are flying over our homes and land that they can indeed be hijacked. I bet the DHS is crapping their pants knowing that all the billions they spend on security is for nothing. About as useful as the TSA!

Given what passes for "government" these days, I'm pretty pleased they managed to hijack it. In fact, I look forward to seeing what kind of creative juices get loosened up as a result of the continuous attacks on our liberty and privacy.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There was already a thread on this early this morning.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

new topics

top topics

join