It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your homemade salsa recipe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I just got a whole bunch of tomato's in my garden, more then I can eat. I want to make some salsa out of them. NOT pico de gallo. Do you have any recipes that YOU HAVE TRIED and know to be delicious? Please post them I would love to try them.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Try experimenting with the recipes on cook.com, allrecipes.com, etc. You have more than you can use so you may be able to come up with your own recipe.

Myself?, since I live in a Apt. I just buy what I need and whip up a batch on the spot using the recipe from one of those sites and tweak it as I see fit.

Some have come out great (though I need to remember to write down what I did) and some can be classified as a WMD.

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Too many tomatoes? I feel your pain. I've canned 24 pints over the last 2 weeks.
I make a new batch of this pico, about every week. My husband can't get enough of it.

3 cups chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I also use sweet banana peppers)
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup cilantro
1 large clove crushed garlic
1 jalapeno diced small, seeds removed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice.

Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour to let flavors blend.
Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Why dosnt any one read the threads any more.

Originally posted by Neysa
Too many tomatoes? I feel your pain. I've canned 24 pints over the last 2 weeks.
I make a new batch of this pico, about every week. My husband can't get enough of it.

3 cups chopped tomato
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I also use sweet banana peppers)
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup cilantro
1 large clove crushed garlic
1 jalapeno diced small, seeds removed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons lime juice.

Mix well and refrigerate for 1 hour to let flavors blend.
Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

No good deed goes unpunished, does it?

I thought it was very nice for them to take a moment and write their recipe down for you, even if you didn't want to eat any pico de gallo.

You're mean.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

I thought it was very nice for them to take a moment and write their recipe down for you, even if you didn't want to eat any pico de gallo.

You're mean.

Or they could have taken 3 sec to read my thread, they wasted their time typing that. I appreciate the thought but READ THE THREADS AND THE LINKS!!!!
edit on 29-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
lol i like you infinity, and you aren´t mean
)
unfortunetley i´m a mean mean spammer coz i can´t cook....

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sorry, mine involves opening the jar.

Actually, I also suggest using those tomatoes to make your own sloppy joe sauce.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

You're mean.

Or they could have taken 3 sec to read my thread, they wasted their time typing that. I appreciate the thought but READ THE THREADS AND THE LINKS!!!!
edit on 29-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

I was going to give you an awesome recipe...but wow...posting anything seems to be dangerous in your thread!

I'm in agreement with the above poster...you are mean!

I hope you have better luck with your tomatoes...and find something that makes you happy!

ETA: Also for the record...you didn't provide any links...just saying!
edit on 17-7-2012 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
So, I finally came back to check this thread and discovered what's been going on.

First of all, the OP is NOT mean. He/she is absolutely right. I was reading too quickly. Skimming, I guess, and my strange little brain read the op as WANTING a pico recipe. DOH!
I have heard that a little mortification is good for the soul. Humility and all that. Yuh right.
Anyway, it is all my fault.
I have learned my lesson. NO more skimming. I promise.
I think the OP is completely correct and not mean, but possibly fed up and rightly so.
My most sincere and humble apologies, OP. I grovel at your cyber feet and beg forgiveness.

Unfortunately I do not have a salsa recipe

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Okay so I'm sorry for calling you mean OP. Here's my humble offering of a salsa recipe - may it make you yodel and turn your world upside-down...

But first you have to make my version of chimmichurri:

leaves of 1 large bunch of mint
1 large bunch of cilantro, roots included if you can get them, given a rough chop
3 or 4 jalapenos roughly chopped (I've used as many as a dozen - it really depends on how hot your jalapenos are)
-- whir all this around in a food processor until it's practically liquified, periodically stopping to scrape down the sides of the work bowl; then add:
2 crushed cloves of garlic
1 & 1/2 tsp lime zest
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
-- while the food processor is on its highest setting, drizzle in 1 - 2 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil until emulsified
-- this will store in your fridge in a glass jar for about two months; it makes about 3/4 cup so you can make this six times with this recipe, give or take

Now...
2 tbsp chimmichurri
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes with oregano and garlic
1/2 cup chopped red onion or scallion (this is really a matter of preference and what you have on hand...I've used sweet onion and it was yummy as well)

Mix well. Dip something in it and try to not fall to your knees and invent some kind of new belief system that has people following me around and stuff because that kind of attention would be really upsetting for me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Here's my easy salsa recipe that anyone can make:

Two cans whole tomatoes (or about 7 or 8 big ripe tomatoes- BIG)

Two cans original Rotel diced tomato w/green chilis

Two cans tomato sauce

One small bunch cillantro, finely chopped

One whole sweet yellow onion, finely chopped

One bell pepper(seeded) diced

One half jar of sliced jalapenos (with a few teaspoons of the liquid)

About four tablespoons Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning (can sub your favorite season-all)

About two tablespoons garlic powder

Salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in the food processor and blend until mostly liquid. Have never had a batch last long enough to last more than two days, but I would refridgerate any leftovers. I would think it would probably last a week in a good sealed container.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

I wanted to make a carrot habanero salsa.

I had smooth not chunky carrot salsa in a restaurant in Monterey a long time ago, it was awesome.
I would like to try my own.

Any good recipes?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I'm sold! I'll make it this weekend and check back in. I've used those Rotel tomatoes with green chilis - that's some really great stuff. And now I have five hours until lunch. This could be a looong morning.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

That sounds really good too, and I'm not one for habaneros, given their heat. However, I've been dabbling in some Thai and Vietnamese cooking, and I must concede that there's something to be said for how the heat of an ingredient is balanced out by other ingredients in the dish. So far, I'm becoming convinced that the heat which has repelled me from so many dishes actually just needed to be balanced out by sweet, acidic and sour flavors the way that it's done in the Asian cooking I've tried so far (I've also seen this in Indian cooking, but I don't do that as much now that I'm into Thai and Vietnamese). I never imagined I'd enthusiastically down a bowl of soup which was clearly topped with a visible layer of hot pepper oil that made my lips and half of my face burn.

And I found a couple versions of your salsa:
from a website called "habanero love"
and one from "sir cook alot"

The photos of it looked like it was a deep saffron - very pretty!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I think you'll like it. Yeah, I love Rotel use it in several things that I cook. It gives my crawfish creole just the right "bite" to compliment the "sweet". I hope you have a snack machine at your work!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

That's great, I love spicy foods. I figured since my sinus are always congested I need some spice to get some flavor. It also clears them out if its spicy enough.

I'm going to try the one from the a habanero love site. I was thinking that the carrots would need to be steamed. The one I had that I remember was the consistency of baby food. But I will try it. I got a lot of carrots to experiment with.

Thanks.

top topics

join