It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Congressmen to walk out during contempt vote

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+38 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

The Congressional Black Caucus has called a members-only "emergency" meeting on Thursday to plot a "walkout strategy" ahead of the scheduled contempt vote of Attorney General Eric Holder later in the day.

The plans, detailed in an email from the executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus obtained by the Alley, include circulating a letter disapproving of the vote and having lawmakers walk out of the Capitol to hold a press conference during the roll call.

Read full article

Despite all of their crying, the facts clearly show the only people making this about race are these fools.

The only problem is when they walk out, they will most likely return at some point. If they would walk out and stay gone, we would all be better off.

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
good riddance

the nation would be fortunate if they never return

not because they are black but because they are destructively race oriented

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

I can hear them now if any of the other African american representatives stay for the vote they will be labeled as a UNCLE TOM boy.

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Ridiculous.. ask a black politician for clarification on why he sold guns to drug cartels which resulted in one of our border agents dying and you're a racist! Let them leave!

PATHETIC!!!!

+44 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
How can a Congressional Black Caucus even exist? These people are sworn to uphold the Constitution and federal laws.

Congressional Black Caucus

The Congressional Black Caucus is an organization representing the black members of the United States Congress. Membership is exclusive to African-Americans,[1] and its chair in the 112th Congress is Representative Emanuel Cleaver of Missouri.

Over the years, the question has arisen, "Does the caucus allow only black members?" Pete Stark, D-CA., who is white, tried and failed to join in 1975. In January 2007, Josephine Hearn reported in Politico that white members of Congress were not welcome to join the CBC.[8] Freshman Representative Steve Cohen, D-TN., who is white, pledged to apply for membership during his election campaign to represent his constituency, which is 60% African American. Hearn further reported that although the bylaws of the caucus do not make race a prerequisite for membership, former and current members of the caucus agreed that the group should remain "exclusively black". Rep. William Lacy Clay, Jr., D-MO., the son of Rep. William Lacy Clay Sr., D-MO., a co-founder of the caucus, is quoted as saying, "Mr. Cohen asked for admission, and he got his answer. He's white and the caucus is black. It's time to move on. We have racial policies to pursue and we are pursuing them, as Mr. Cohen has learned. It's an unwritten rule. It's understood." In response to the decision, Rep. Cohen stated, "It's their caucus and they do things their way. You don't force your way in.":

How the hell can there be a "club" of Congressmen that allow people to join based soley on their skin color??

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Congressmen are the ruling class of America so they can have all the special privalege that they want. Laws, schmaws, who cares.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

That's a fundraising tool. People are fed up with the Race Card and their bank accounts are drying up.

+66 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I think the Congressional White Caucus should protest their acti... Oh, that's right, there ISN'T a Congressional WHITE Caucus, because THAT would be RACIST.

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Racist tools. I really hope Obama loses just so we can stop listening to how racist every one is if they don't agree with all his policies and the dumb actions of fellow black officials.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
YEah this is pretty piss poor.
Hey here's an idea! Let's actually scrutinize the situation and see what faults actually lie with Holder prior to calling foul.

Or is the idea to defend the minority regardless of guilt?

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Why were they walking out again? Was it to protest the contempt of congress vote? If so, they are crossing party lines (congressmen in BOTH parties) they are placing the color of their skin in front of the party line and their constituents. This is deplorable. These congress members need to get their head out of their rears and vote. Even if they lose they will be on record with the vote. Running away...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Honestly these congress people aren't emotionally fit for office. They are truly unhinged.
We can't rely on them for non-biased objective reasoning.
Earlier today I saw Sharpton with the bunch on the news and was like "what the! is he doing there?!" I was flabbergasted.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Like I said in another thread, they ( politicians) know what the people think or feel doesnt mean anything. Theyre a bunch of morons in a big club that excludes we peons., They can act stupid they want to.. its their party.

As a non white.. this is moronic and obviously race based.. yet no one will call it what it is except in a message board. ANY group that excludes or includes solely based on skin color is by definition RACIST. This should not be allowed or condoned in govt. IMO.

Racism is the belief that different characteristics in racial groups justify discrimination.

racism

Discrimination refers to the treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit.

Legal def of Discrimination

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

The Congressional Black Caucus has called a members-only "emergency" meeting on Thursday to plot a "walkout strategy" ahead of the scheduled contempt vote of Attorney General Eric Holder later in the day.

The plans, detailed in an email from the executive director of the Congressional Black Caucus obtained by the Alley, include circulating a letter disapproving of the vote and having lawmakers walk out of the Capitol to hold a press conference during the roll call.

Read full article

Despite all of their crying, the facts clearly show the only people making this about race are these fools.

The only problem is when they walk out, they will most likely return at some point. If they would walk out and stay gone, we would all be better off.

Well, what can you say, Bye.... See Ya.... catcha later alligater. Asta la Vista.... babies.

Let them walk out, it's what they do.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I agree, this should seem moronic and ridiculous to anyone in the US that votes (if you don't vote, don't complain). These people are not following their constituents wishes by not voting, they are running away rather than fighting on the floor. They can be recognized and give a persuasive speech to try and change minds, but "no" they wish to run away and not due their duty as a member of congress.

Are all African-Americans in congress in the CBC? I know the process of becoming a member of a committee, I do not know the process of joining a congressional club.

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I've said this before and the fact that a 'Congressional Black Caucus' exists is a disgrace to the civil rights movement. The entire point was to put aside our differences and not focus on race, these congressman seem bent on maintaining that unnecessary division.

And to even imply that any of the charges against Eric Holder are based on his race and not his involvement in Fast and Furious is ridiculous on another level entirely.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dookie Master

Are all African-Americans in congress in the CBC? I know the process of becoming a member of a committee, I do not know the process of joining a congressional club.

Heck, who knows.. but Im sure its on the interwebs somewhere. The thing is there shouldnt be clubs in the first place. It certainly shouldnt be discriminatory concerning skin color. I figure that like other things we've all seen.. if any black in the room said NO.. Im not joining - he will more than likely be the enemy and a persona non grata. Thats shameful when it happens.

Im not black, Im brownish red.. and my father ( bless him and much thanks to him) taught me that exclusionary clubs were stupid and dangerous.A person can be "proud" of their heritage or culture, but there is no need to use minority status as a weapon or tool. It kinda craps all over your ancestors and their struggles.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
well I really wish the governors of each state would fix this issue .... Congressmen and Senators should be elected by the states representatives and not directly by the people. back under State control by authorizing the States House to elect Congressmen and the States Senate to elect Senators --- that way the State has Authority over their behavior and voting. I know what your thinking - but guess what your wrong - I'm not sure what date it happend but that was the way it was - and the governor could recall the representative for not representing the state they are suppose to represent with their voting authority.

edit on 27-6-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

First, I am sorry. I didn't mean to suggest anything about your race, just a question looped into the comment. Also, I agree with your father, exclusivity breeds inequality. I searched, but there doesn't seem to be any rules except you cannot be white. Very few black Republicans join though.

Holy (snip) it is an awful sounding group from what I just read. Very exclusive and based only on ones race. Wikipedia is not a good source but check this out:

Ralph Nader incident In 2004, independent presidential candidate and consumer activist Ralph Nader attended a meeting with the caucus which turned into a shouting exchange. The caucus urged Nader to give up his presidential run, fearing that it could hurt John Kerry, the Democratic Party's nominee. Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) called the upcoming election "a life or death matter" for the caucus members' constituents. Nader accused Congressman Mel Watt of twice uttering an "obscene racial epithet" towards Nader; he alleged that Watt said: "You're just another arrogant white man – telling us what we can do – it's all about your ego – another f—king arrogant white man." Watt never offered an apology.[14] Nader wrote to the caucus afterwards: Instead, exclamations at the meeting... end[ed] with the obscene racist epithet repeated twice by Yale Law School alumnus Congressman Melvin Watt of North Carolina. One member of your caucus called to apologize for the crudity of some of the members. I had expected an expression of regret or apology from Congressman Watt in the subsequent days after he had cooled down. After all there was absolutely no vocal or verbal provocation from me or from my associates, including Peter Miguel Camejo, to warrant such an outburst. In all my years of struggling for justice, especially for the deprived and downtrodden, has any legislator—white or black—used such language? I do not like double standards, especially since our premise for interactions must be equality of respect that has no room, as I responded to Mr. Watt, for playing the race card. Therefore, just as African-Americans demanded an apology from Agriculture Secretary Earl Butz and Senator Trent Lott—prior to their resignation and demotion respectively—for their racist remarks, I expect that you and others in the caucus will exert your moral persuasion and request an apology from Congressman Watt. Please consider this also my request for such an expression—a copy of which is being forwarded directly to Mr. Watt's office.[15]

WOW!

Also, this:

Scholarships controlled by the caucus were a source of public concern in September 2009 when it was reported Sanford Bishop and other members directed the money to members of their families and political cronies.

Seems pretty corrupt. I am searching for some positives from this group for perspective.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
If they walk out, that will be a clear message of where they stand on the issue--and it ain't about the issue.

They will be sending a message that they really should not be sending.

Yet, white guilt helped get the prez elected. Will that and the fear of violence in the streets cause the balance of Congress to let the guys walk on this issue? If that then, the majority of voters will probably be pretty decisive in the fall.

Actually, I expect Obama will not be the demo nominee once the smoke clears in the democrats backroom power plays. As Bill said, "There isn't any loyalty in politics." ("Win at all costs," he could have added, and at this point, they ain't winning.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join