It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite yields Unknown Material to science

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I know many here are interested in these types of stories. This one caught my eye this morning I did a search and nothing came up.

I wonder just how many more combinations nature/God put together that we have yet to discover eh? ?

A new study of fragments of an ancient rock that fell to Earth in 1969 has yielded a new mineral. Dubbed 'panguite' the new mineral may hold secrets about the formation of our solar system.

Scientists have discovered a new mineral embedded in a meteorite that fell to Earth over 40 years ago, and it could be among the oldest minerals, formed in the early days of our solar system. The mineral is a type of titanium oxide and has been named panguite, after Pan Gu, the giant from ancient Chinese mythology who established the world by separating yin from yang to create the Earth and the sky.

Image source...
1969 fireball meteorite reveals new ancient mineral

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

wow this is the coolest rock ever.

what if the movie wolverine is based off of it? adamantium?

i found another picture of it here:

images.wikia.com...
edit on 27-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Although somebody beat you to the thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
yours is well presented as to not get folks confused about minerals/substances vs elements (we hope!)

Maybe it'll lead us to developing the combinations needed to produce substances with properties that will enable us to expand our technology even further and bring about some of the hopes and dreams we have for things such as travel into deep space!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
Although somebody beat you to the thread www.abovetopsecret.com...
yours is well presented as to not get folks confused about minerals/substances vs elements (we hope!)

Maybe it'll lead us to developing the combinations needed to produce substances with properties that will enable us to expand our technology even further and bring about some of the hopes and dreams we have for things such as travel into deep space!

mmyes, quite.

ebid.s3.amazonaws.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I did a search and got butkis....

Thanks for posting the link

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
There seem to be some promising prospects for water treatment by looking at the other titanium oxide materials. It would be really cool if it could be used to desalinate sea water to make it potable!!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I did a search and got butkis....

Thanks for posting the link

It's all good....
This can possibly be the more scientifically based thread!!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Materials form under conditions. If you change the conditions, say by a different location, there's no telling what could form not alike what forms on Earth. Multiply the different conditions in space or on another planet, by the expanse of space and the possibilities are infinite.!

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I wonder if the name implies something. Titanium oxide. Perhaps this was just regular old titanium and became oxidized when it came into our atmosphere. Seeing as I am no scientist that's all I could come up with.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It also does say it is a "type" of titanium oxide so also this was the best i would do because i am lazy right now
en.wikipedia.org...
www.designinsite.dk...

Seems there are few types of this stuff so i wonder if it will get its own class or it will be nudged into an already developed class

It also said its unknown to man so i wonder if its something we have tried and failed to make or was it something that had never crossed our minds.

Also thanks Slayer69. Ever since you greeted me those many moons ago you have been one of my fav posters.

edit on 27-6-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: addition of text

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
So it's 'alien'?
Not as in "aaargh the aliens are coming", mind you

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Titanium oxide?

Thought titanium is corrosion resistant, and that begs the question it is a meteorite that fell here while most people would say that oxidation occurred here but could it have been possible that it occurred elsewhere?

Oxidation only occurs in an oxygen environment right?

But in space "purer metals" are usually formed ?

Questions not statements there.

edit on 27-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
I wonder if the name implies something. Titanium oxide. Perhaps this was just regular old titanium and became oxidized when it came into our atmosphere. Seeing as I am no scientist that's all I could come up with.

No, it's not oxidation as with a corrosive effect such as "rust", it's the chemical combination of Titanium and oxygen at the molecular level at very high temperatures, not a product of our atmosphere. Just like water (dihydrogen monoxide or H2O) isn't the result of hydrogen being oxidized or "rusting". More probable that it was the remnant of a star or "the big bang".

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
-ide usually means that the element is in its elemental anionic form.

-ate usually means the element in to which the largest possible number of oxygen atoms are attached.

-ite refers to the oxygenated anion of an element that contains some intermediate number of oxygen atoms.

It has to do with the molecular structure of the substance, not the process by which the substance was produced. So it's Titaniun molecules combined with a certain number of oxygen molecules to produce a balanced state, not necessarily a corrosive effect.

The confusion probably comes from hearing "rust" referred to as Iron oxide, but hematite is also a form of iron oxide as is magnetite and they are not "rust" at all.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

So it's Titaniun molecules combined with a certain number of oxygen molecules to produce a balanced state, not necessarily a corrosive effect.

And a lot more.
(Ti4+,Sc,Al,Mg,Zr,Ca)1.8O3.

Panguite is in a class of refractory minerals that formed under the high temperatures and extremely varied pressures present in the early solar system, up to 4.5 billion years ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

So it's Titaniun molecules combined with a certain number of oxygen molecules to produce a balanced state, not necessarily a corrosive effect.

And a lot more.
(Ti4+,Sc,Al,Mg,Zr,Ca)1.8O3.

Panguite is in a class of refractory minerals that formed under the high temperatures and extremely varied pressures present in the early solar system, up to 4.5 billion years ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes

Very interesting mineral indeed! ... trying to keep it simplified to build the understanding at the moment, but it definitely has many other elements involved

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As always. Thanks Phage.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
outer-space and extreme conditions can create a lot of different combinations of molecular assemblies (is that how i spell it? im french sorry )...anyway, the extreme conditions out there can create some fantastic lego-like shapes! there's 3 kind of meteorites: stony, iron and stony-iron. each of these can come in different combinations and most of those combinations have a name now! (carbon is combined with the metallic atoms as cohenite: it also occurs free in both the amorphous form- large graphite nodules in the irons of coarsest structure- and the crystalline form, as microscopic diamonds. *between the planets by fletcher g. watson*) it migh not be relevant to this topic, but its just to say that new kinds of material formations are discovered every now and then! its only a matter of proportions and conditions. but it still is an interesting news

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
theres a lot of universe out there to explore, i would think there are many many more minerals/ materials out there that we dont know about

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I know many here are interested in these types of stories. This one caught my eye this morning I did a search and nothing came up.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join