It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado Springs Apocolypse?! Waldo Canyon Wildfire 32,000 Evacuated, Many Houses/Buildings Burned!

page: 25
<< 22  23  24   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
one word (acronym)

HAARP

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firewater
This is my first time on ATS since the fire started almost a week ago. After some of the evacs were lifted last night, i was finally able to return home. I've been a Colorado Springs westsider for most of my life and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. But i definitely saw this coming. The mountainsides and foothills are extremely dry and filled with dead trees. I'm afraid its only a matter of time until we have a wildfire that threatens the entire town of Manitou Springs and even more populated areas of CS. As much as it would pain me to do so, i am considering relocating to a home further from the mountains.
Firewater- That fires in the Springs was an out of control beast. No matter where you live there will be dangers. In 1863 there was the Great Denver fire. I think one needs to decide what dangers they want to live with. If you go East you have tornadoes and horrendous storms. In the mountains you have the chance of fires. Actually,nature will do what it wants and we just need to get out of the way.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The latest from Inciweb:

Incident Type

Wildfire

Cause

Under Investigation

Date of Origin

Saturday June 23rd, 2012 approx. 12:00 PM

Pike National Forest, El Paso County

Incident Commander

Rich Harvey

Current Situation

Total Personnel

Size

17,073 acres

Percent Contained

30%

Estimated Containment Date

Monday July 16th, 2012 approx. 12:00 AM

Fuels Involved

Brush, hardwood slash, Mountain shrub, oak, grass, Pinon juniper, Ponderosa pine, Douglas fir, spruce, Limber pine, White pine

Fire Behavior

Active surface fire with unassisted burning of interior islands. Isolated single and group tree torching. Conditions have been favorable for burnout to secure line construction.

Significant Events

Two civilian fatalities have been reported by the city of Colorado Springs. Structure damage assesment continues with 346 reported destroyed and 24 damaged. Evacuees were allowed to return late yesterday afternoon and evening to most of the evacuation area in west Colorado Springs. Two large interior islands to the west of the Air Force Academy burned off late in the afternoon. Thunderstorm outflow winds tested containment lines. Direct line construction and a small burnout in Division D began early in the morning and is expected to be successful. Spotfires north of Rampart Reservior are expected to be lined today. Crews worked with Colorado Springs to ensure that all structures that were destroyed present no threat of fire spread.

Outlook

Planned Actions

Crews will strengthen and hold the containment line in Division D. They will also continue to hold the fire south of Monument Creek. Work will begin in Cascade to reestablish utilities to residents. Assessments will be made regarding power pole replacement in several areas of the fire.

Growth Potential

Extreme

Terrain Difficulty

Extreme

Remarks

Acres by ownership USFS 13,769, private 3,157. Colorado Springs issued the number of destroyed structures at 346.

www.inciweb.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManicDepresive1
This is an amazing pic......

edit on 29-6-2012 by ManicDepresive1 because: spelling

I would love to see the Pic,from the guy on the balcony.

Looks like they are getting this contained somewhat.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

Things have been a mess since the airtanker scandal with the U.S. Forest Service.

They were getting surplus c-130's and selling them to private parties and saying they were being converted to tankers.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
reply to post by Drew99GT

Things have been a mess since the airtanker scandal with the U.S. Forest Service.

They were getting surplus c-130's and selling them to private parties and saying they were being converted to tankers.

while I won't debate you on your position I will say that this wasnt all bad.

For readers here is the link
maybe the reader will see transfer of ownership infringed on intent of transfer from surplus and infringed on Favoritism as to who got them and who didn't and subsequent contracts for fire service.

Question though? who maintained them after transfer of title? who was to maintain them as per original agreement.

this is a good subject for the later hours of the thread.
I wont distract with the subject further

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Firewater

We moved out of Divide to east Springs after the Hayman fire, scared us real good.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
becouse greg langdon wanted to move there with his friends celestials chose war

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

In the short term it did help, because the fleet was upgraded. But now with planes coming apart in midair and whole fleets being grounded we need some new planes.

But the scandal is still fresh enough that nobody wants to commit to anything for fear that they'll end up like Fuchs and Reagam. They've been talking about the problem for years, and all they end up doing is ordering another study.

It's a topic that nobody really seems to want to be associated with, politically.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

of course its not the 1944's when American Factories turned out 500 Douglas 's a day.??
need 500 Airplanes with water buckets??
hey Charlie how long??

8 hrs,,
lol

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by AGWskeptic

of course its not the 1944's when American Factories turned out 500 Douglas 's a day.??
need 500 Airplanes with water buckets??
hey Charlie how long??

8 hrs,,
lol

Most the scandal planes came from the tuscon dessert storage facility, the rest were retired from airguard units.

There are enough planes in Tuscon to give one to each of us.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Haven't read all pages here, but was this mentioned?
Just came across this today.

http://(nolink)/2012/06/14/dhs-warns-alqaeda-planning-largescale-wildfire-attacks-146361/

DHS Warns Al-Qaeda Is Planning Large-Scale Wildfire Attacks
Posted by Alexander Higgins - June 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Impressive satellite view of the Waldo Canyon wildfire:

In this image, acquired by the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) instrument on NASA's Terra spacecraft on July 4, healthy vegetation is red, water is dark blue, streets and buildings are gray, and the burned areas are black. The image covers an area of 9.3 by 12.1 miles (15 by 18 kilometers)

Full-res TIFF and JPEG can be downloaded here

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I just wanted to drop by your thread and thank the members who joined into the mass conscientiousness experiment and prayed or meditated for RAIN..I also want to thank God!

Hopefully the residents of Colorado can begin to rebuild their lives as well as our living breathing Earth Mother, the trees and animals too..much love Coco

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This fire happened just over a year ago now and it is still having in impact on the community. At the burn scar today, there was a storm, and it caused a big mudslide on hwy 24. I'll try to embed the video but it's not on youtube yet. If this doesn't work I will post it once it becomes avail on youtube.

Edit: yep didn't work. I'll try to post it soon.

For those who have facebook, here is the link to it:

Hwy 24 Mudslide
edit on 10-7-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Here it is on youtube

posted on Sep, 20 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
this is a good post, i enjoyed the read. it's several years later now and the fire is out. this was a scary time.

top topics

<< 22  23  24   >>

join