It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - Syria fires at 2nd Turkish aircraft conducting Search and Rescue operations.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Coming across the wires now so no link as of yet. Apparently Turkey has stated Syrian air defense has fired on another one of their aircraft conducting search and rescue operations in the med trying to locate the missing crew from the first craft that was shot down.

The aircraft was not hit.

more to come....

ETA -

Syria Forces Fire At 2nd Turkish Plane

June 25 (Reuters) - Turkey said on Monday that Syrian forces had fired at a second Turkish plane which was searching for an F-4 reconnaissance jet shot down by Syria last week, but the second plane was not brought down.

Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc told a news conference that Turkey would protect itself, within the framework of international law, against what it called Syria's "hostile action" of downing its warplane last week.

click link for remainder of article.

Yahoo News - Turkey says Syria opened fire on 2nd plane

edit on 25-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This could be the start of WW3, Turkey will not lie down and neither witll NATO or the Russians. I wonder how China will respond.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Pretty clear to me that the Syrian military is doing this on purpose so that NATO or some other military gets involved here.

They don't want this civil war, they want it ended but they are probably too scared to defect.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well, Turkey admitted that the first jet was in Syrian airspace, giving the Syrians every right to try and shoot it down.

If the second jet was looking for survivors, I'd have to assume THAT jet was also in Syrian airspace.

International law allows countries to meet military agression from their neighbors with force. The act of flying a military plane over a neighbors' airspace is definitely an act of agression, even if the SAR operation is a rescue mission. I'm assuming this will likely escalate into declarations of war before long?

Biggest problem with this is that Turkey is a full fledged member of NATO, if Syria declares war on Turkey, then NATO will have no choice but to intervene under terms of the treaty.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

edit on 25-6-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

you have me confused as to if this is a third incident involving a 2nd search and rescue plane that is "just coming over the wires" or if you're referring to the 2nd incident that was reported earlier which I am sure the links you posted are

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ok my question also seems confusing sorry

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Definitely a possibility... The language being used is also morphing, going from Diplomatic to Military, on both sides.

Turkey is claiming the first plane was in International airspace when it was fired on (after being told by Turkish military controllers they had entered Syrian airspace and to change course). An interesting choice of words if you ask me..

Then we have this from today- Reuters - Turkey turns to NATO after Syria downs jet

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkey is to demand backing from its NATO allies on Tuesday at a special meeting called after Syrian troops shot down a Turkish warplane last week in an incident Damascus said was self-defence but which Ankara branded an "act of aggression".

It is only the second time in NATO's 63-year history that it has convened under Article 4 of its charter which provides for consultations when a member state feels its territorial integrity, political independence or security is under threat.

Turkey rejected assertions from Damascus that its forces had no option but to fire on the F-4 jet as it flew over Syrian waters close to the coast on Friday.

In a letter to the U.N. Security Council, Turkey condemned the "hostile act by the Syrian authorities against Turkey's national security", saying it posed "a serious threat to peace and security in the region".

Act of aggression.....
serious threat to peace and security....

all the legal catch words used right before the hand descends to the holster.....

some other intersting info coming out -

It then made another approach to land when it was shot down 13 miles off the coast in international airspace, he said, out of the reach of Syria's anti-aircraft guns

"According to the data in our hands, it points to our plane being shot by a laser or heat-guided surface-to-air missile. The fact our plane was not given an early radar warning, suggests it was not a radar-guided missile," said Arinc.

....and now this...

The Turkish PM stated they will announce whats going to occur with Syria on Tuesday.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

you have me confused as to if this is a third incident involving a 2nd search and rescue plane that is "just coming over the wires" or if you're referring to the 2nd incident that was reported earlier which I am sure the links you posted are

ok my question also seems confusing sorry

My bad... I missed the post..

Sorry..

Mods please lock.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I can't wait to hear what will be decided by the meeting, fingers crossed it not war. The thought of WW3 is frightening in the fact that we would destroy not only each other but the world.
Dark times.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

well i didnt mean it like that I really just wonder if there is a 3rd incident or not
seems like that would be bad

hell I had to use my history after trying search to find the post I linked to so dont feel bad about it

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Nope same incident... After rereading the thread and seeing a mod post who also missed the first posting of it makes me feel better

No worries.. better to have one thread with all 500 million opinions than draw it out into 4 threads plus.

Either way I alerted this thread to have mods lock it and push conversation to yours.
edit on 25-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

its not my thread i really just wondered if it was getting hotter over there

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I thought turkey and syria were good friends??

If it was really turkey's intention and doing this on purpose to provoke,
i doubt they would of ever admitted any wrong doing...

I think it really was an accident. With syria scared to the bones they over reacted.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

They don't want this civil war, they want it ended but they are probably too scared to defect.

Here are the wars they lost:

1948 Arab-Israeli War (against Israel)
Six Day War (against Israel)
War of Attrition (against Israel)
Black September (against Jordan)
Yom Kippur War (against Israel)
Islamic uprising in Syria (internal)
Lebanese Civil War (1975–1990),
1982 Lebanon War (against Lebanese militias, the PLO, and Israel)
Persian Gulf War (against Iraq)
Syrian uprising (2011–present) (internal)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic
I thought turkey and syria were good friends??

If it was really turkey's intention and doing this on purpose to provoke,
i doubt they would of ever admitted any wrong doing...

I think it really was an accident. With syria scared to the bones they over reacted.

They were right up to the point Assad decided to use lethal force on the protestors, and Turkey has specifically cited this as the reason for the countries relationship to drop off the map. It also doesnt help when Turkey takes in refugees fleeing Syria and Syria fires / launches artillery across the border at those fleeing refugees.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by iforget

My bad... I missed the post..

Sorry..

Mods please lock.

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join