It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How American fundamentalist schools are using Nessie to disprove evolution with your tax dollars.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well this ties a lot of our stuff together in a nice pretty bow doesn't it?

Let's see, evolution, creationism, and Nessie, all in one. A conspiracy theorists wet dream.

The only problem is, this is being taught in schools, private schols albeit, but none the less, this is shady.

Source

Thousands of children in the southern state will receive publicly-funded vouchers for the next school year to attend private schools where Scotland's most famous mythological beast will be taught as a real living creature.

These private schools follow a fundamentalist curriculum including the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) programme to teach controversial religious beliefs aimed at disproving evolution and proving creationism.

One tenet has it that if it can be proved that dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time as man then Darwinism is fatally flawed.

Critics have damned the content of the course books, calling them "bizarre" and accusing them of promoting radical religious and political ideologies.

The textbooks in the series are alleged to teach young earth creationism; are hostile towards other religions and other sectors of Christianity, including Roman Catholicism; and present a biased version of history that is often factually incorrect.

One ACE textbook – Biology 1099, Accelerated Christian Education Inc – reads: "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence. Have you heard of the 'Loch Ness Monster' in Scotland? 'Nessie' for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur."

Another claim taught is that a Japanese whaling boat once caught a dinosaur. It's unclear if the movie Godzilla was the inspiration for this lesson.

Now are these schools receiving public tax dollars? They sure are, to teach the following:

Textbooks of some state-funded Christian schools praise the Ku Klux Klan.

The violent, racist organisation, which still exists in the US, advocates white supremacy, white nationalism and anti-immigration.

One excerpt from Bob Jones University Press American history textbook has been reported as saying: "the [Ku Klux] Klan in some areas of the country tried to be a means of reform, fighting the decline in morality and using the symbol of the cross ... In some communities it achieved a certain respectability as it worked with politicians."

And we consider this education in this country?

What are your thoughts on using Nessie and the KKK as a means push a religious agenda?

~Tenth
edit on 6/25/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

When I saw the title I thought it was a joke, then I read and couldn't believe then I remembered the word Christians and became awash with sadness for the future of humanity.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChristianJihad

When I saw the title I thought it was a joke, then I read and couldn't believe then I remembered the word Christians and became awash with sadness for the future of humanity.

I know my jaw dropped a few times while reading the article.

I mean, there's just really no justification and this is publicly funded too, the states have APPROVED these curriculums for funding.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Why isn't the ACLU all over this? I would think this situation tailor-made for a legal action.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thanks for posting Tenth, s&f(my first) for you.

I think it is pretty disgusting that these are being taught as facts to your children, thankfully here in the UK we don't yet have to deal with this type of fundamentalist nonsense in our schools. Fact is, nobody knows the true answers. Evolution does not disprove the existence of god, and creationism doesn't prove, well, anything really.

P.S. I happen to live very close to loch ness, it's long known round these parts that nessie is just a tourist scam. Lovely place though, you should visit if you ever get a chance. More relevant to the topic though, did you know that loch ness was formed by glacial melt at the end of the last ice age? Hmmm, how did that crafty plesiosaur get in there

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Because this is a private school doing this, and a private school has the right to teach what it wants to.

Not like a public school.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Because this is a private school doing this, and a private school has the right to teach what it wants to.

Not if it's being funded by my tax dollars it doesn't. I have no problem with private schools teaching what they want, if they are privately funded.

If you fall into the public realm and expect public funding, then you should NOT be allowed to teach this nonsense.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I understand it's a private school, but it's receiving federal money in the form of the vouchers. Does that not count?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Not if it's being funded by my tax dollars it doesn't. I have no problem with private schools teaching what they want, if they are privately funded.

If you fall into the public realm and expect public funding, then you should NOT be allowed to teach this nonsense.

~Tenth

Private schools teaching that the lochness monster is alive and well is about the same as cult teachings. You may do what you wish in private schools and business, but if you are planning on indoctrinating youth to live in a reality that is fantasy, there is a problem and there needs to be oversight.

Look at how many cults have popped up in the last 50 years.

Hell, look at scientology...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ha,too funny!

Creating a generation compliant workers it seems.

I have been to Bob Jones University,wow,what a bunch of bible thumping non-thinkers.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is just great. Now not only do American children struggle to meet college standards in math. They will have to relearn history and science on the fly. I love how the Militant Christians attack science, once the are questioned by science they scream attack on Christianity. this frustrates me to no end.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is priceless - using a mythical creature to prove the existence of a mythical being ! It would be funny if they were not using this rubbish to influence the minds of children and using tax dollars to do it. If they were totally privately funded they could preach that the Easter Bunny was swimming in Loch Ness along with the monster and while people may find the idea silly, it would be a private matter but to use public money for this is just ridiculous.

I am just wondering if their next project will be to use Bigfoot to prove Creation ?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yeah this is what happens when you let education to be taught by people who have no understanding of history and or science.

They just make it up as they go along.

Like mormonism it's all fan fiction.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So I take it the official state sponsored religion in Scotland is now "Fundamentalist Christianity" with some mythological twists.

We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Anyone outside the religious community would be considered a troll for making these claims and pushing it as fact lol. Is christianity unknowingly devolving into a troll community? If not then they sure have raised the bar for those tryhard trollers

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Apparently the evangelicals also believe in witchcraft as well....

www.youtube.com...
&feature=related

so why not use mythological beast as a way to sway the faithful. Makes perfect sense to me!

edit on 25-6-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

thankfully here in the UK we don't yet have to deal with this type of fundamentalist nonsense in our schools
reply to post by pudd99

My daughter wrote an essay on xtianity, she noted that there is no contemperanious evidence for for the jesus character and he was likely a myth. Her teacher scrawled acrossher work in red that jesus is real and deducted her marks. What does that tell you about the type of people we are up against ?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

These sorts of religious folk ( and I'm not paiting a broad brush here, just the fundamentalists) believe in ANYTHING that further's their cause.

Witchraft, drinking, all manner of sinning.

As long as it's a means to prove that what they believe is true, it's good for them.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

If I home school my kids and teach them that Godzilla is living proof that Papa Smurf is listening to their every thought, how long do you think my kids will remain in my home ?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

"Buck her up in the name of Jesus " ??!!!

What the hell is buck her up do you think ? Is this the inspiration for Requiem For A Dream ?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join