It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Massachusetts, you must PAY to plead NOT Guilty!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Originally posted by Nspekta

Am I getting that you think this is not an injustice because it is in regards to traffic charges instead of greater charges?

Some people who choose to dispute a traffic violation, do so because of this particular detail right here↓.

Originally posted by miniatus

Of course if the officer doesn't show.. usually you automatically win
Not because they are innocent. They know they were guilty, but guilt is irrelevant if the cop doesn't show up.

The cop doesn't know whether or not you're gonna show up for the court date. Many cops don't wanna deal with the hassle of going into the court, just for a traffic citation, and when you might not even be there anyways lol.

edit on 6/25/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

In Massachusetts, the prime purpose of being a citizen is to be a revenue source for the state.....

Those of you not from that state shouldn't feel left out though..... as soon as more businessmen run the country, all states will be that way....

Because some moronic asinine spreadsheet worshiping technocrat drone somewhere decided that American life was all about business and profit.... and our patriotic clowns climbed on board the nonsense wagon so "they" could be trickled down upon.....

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I fully agree... SOME people do that.. BUT what about the people who have a legit reason to dispute? Are you saying its fair and just that they must pay these surcharges to exercise their rights???

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Too early to be sour friend!

So yea, IF you actually read the article, you would see WHY the apppeals are down, because you hafta pay to plead not-guilty which the title of this thread.
Traffic court is completely different from real court. You know, the type of court where a guilty verdict might mean that you're not walking back out those doors today. You might not see the sun again for awhile.

[color=CAFFBA]Comparing traffic court to real court, is similar to comparing the McDonalds playground to Disney World. No contest. Entirely different from one another.

Fyi, breaking news you must keep the title the same, here and most other threads you can disseminate the information and put a different title. If you didn't only create threads in movies and music forums, you might understand better, oh wells!
lmao.
Nice try.

Did you think that might offend me in some way? What, you think you're smarter than me, because you have more flags? lol "My flagpole is bigger than your flagpole."

I don't care what the rules are. I was just saying that it aint right. You knew what you were doing. Leaving the word 'traffic' out of the title, was no accident.

I fully agree... SOME people do that.. BUT what about the people who have a legit reason to dispute? Are you saying its fair and just that they must pay these surcharges to exercise their rights???
I didn't say anything like that. I was trying to say that I don't care, and if I had known that you were talking about kiddy traffic court, I would have never opened this thread.

Now, not only did I open it, but you've managed to rope me in to make 3 or 4 posts in it.
Well played... I guess.. lol

edit on 6/25/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Fitting, considering that in this country, with enough cash you can be FOUND not guilty

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Regardless of your views on 'real' courts vs traffic, it is still part of the system and YOUR RIGHTS are still valid... Do you see how it is unjust to pay to plead not guilty, regardless that it is traffic court?? Or do you truly believe that you saying that traffic court doesnt matter that it justifies the surcharges to exercise your rights?!? There are posters here who shared their story and distaste for the injustice, yet you brush it off because, as you say, its not a 'real court'..

Ps, wasnt my intent to offend you! I was offering my opinion that you blast me for 'sensationalizing' a valid article that i disseminated and put, what i thought, was an appropriate title, when you post in music/movies.. And good for you! Those forums are there to be posted in

As for the flags, i dont really care although they are a way of measuring your impact on the site and adding to the experience of other users. Ps, seems like 7 people thought this story was relevant enough to flag so far, meaning to some, it is important and worth discussing it. I dont think I am smarter than you, i never said that btw.

Personally i feel the title is valid.. Traffic court IS a court, regardless of your view on it. If you dont like it, please continue on to another thread. Thats the great thing about ATS, there are so many things to look at and so many forums that are interesting to different people!

As for roping you in, noone held a gun to your head to make you post, you did that out of your own accord.

Which is why i chose not to reply to your gODHEAD thread.. It doesnt appeal to me, it is not relevant, imo, and noone forced me to reply

edit on 6/25/2012 by Nspekta because: eta

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by rbnhd76
This is bs, and it has happened to me. I was accused of disregarding a traffic control device, which I did not do. I have gotten speeding tickits before, and I was caught, I did it, I payed the fine with no question. By the same token, I don't think I should pay this. Now, I have a choice of $56 fine/DTCD on my record, or fighting it with a jury trial. Already wasted two days of work at about $110 each. Officers need to be sure of what they saw, or didn't see. Sick of this already and will probably have to take it.

And therein lies the problem... if you appeal it will usually be your word against the officer .. often times they have a record of your speed.. they will lock it in on their radar and use that reading on the ticket.. they can also look back at that data later if needed.. other times it's your word against a traffic camera, which you will almost always lose against.. it's hard to win an appeal usually.. if it comes down to your word against his then the judge will often side with the police officer.

Of course if the officer doesn't show.. usually you automatically win
edit on 6/25/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

WOW, you stop while your behind! I you knew anything about cops and radar guns you would know that often these guns are not calibrated and certified as they are suppose to by law.

The point the OP is talking about is not the court costs but the fact that you have to put a nonrefundable deposit to prove your self innocent. I you get convicted then you pay the costs and if the state has applied the law wrong or it s just a case BS then state should burden the court costs....

it shoudl not be split both ways ... fault or no fault...determines who pays

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
i thought justice was free, not $25.

what are taxes for then.

it's taxes that run the justice system, maintain the courthouses, pay the employees, the judges and the prosecutors.

money and justice don't mix.

it should be absolutely free to use the justice system.

well, romney as governor thought this was a great way to make money.

everything is for sale.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Is this the same as "court costs" or in addition?
I know here in Tx, you always pay court costs if your guilty but I cant remember if thats only more serious crimes.
Last "ticket" i got was a P.I. lol, cost me 370 bucks

Oh and 4 hours in the cage
edit on 25-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a better option is to take out the traffic cams by any means necessary, paintball guns, spray paint, super soakers filled with paint...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I've said it before and am about to again: The law is not about what is right and wrong, it's about who is the best debater.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Here is Alabama, you have to pay court costs even if you just pay the fine and don't go to court. That's why any time I get a ticket, I fight it.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Face it, they have us wrapped around their tiny little finger. All of us.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wardk28

So yea this is the same... these people must be new to the court system lol... These fees have been around for a while.
It isnt a charge to plead innocence, its just a 'surcharge' to the court for going before the court.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join