It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IDair has a fingerprint scanner from standoff distance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

IDair has a fingerprint scanner from standoff distance

A new startup, IDair, wants to make the difference. Its new fingerprint scanner system can read fingerprints from up to six meters away.

The person waves hand to sensor for identification verification--no stops at checkpoints asking for a ID card; no fumbling around for lost keycards. The machine is described as a touchless scanner. The fingerprint can be photographically captured with enough detail to match against a database.
(visit the link for the full news article)

phys.org...
edit on 25-6-2012 by constantwonder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I do not know if it is just me but the potential for abuse here is incredible.

Envision a world where law enforcement can scan you and have all your information without so much as telling you you have been scanned.

I can already here the ACLU starting to bark. Where do we draw the line? At a fingerprint? An eye scan? A full body scan revealing all of your bodies intimate secrets.

Perhaps I am just being foolish but this is a bit alarming in my honest opinion.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Its probably quite good for places where id badges are bad due to risks of moving machinery like drills/lathes or warehouses where you can open the door so you can get the stock moved without having to slow down but just clasp your hands together or just place in pockets if you don't want to be range id'd so its not really a great surveilance tool when you can spot it since everyone suddenly seems to be doing a vulcan greeting

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Biometrics comes in many forms. There pretty much is no way to get around it and we'll be seeing it in the 'pervasive surveillance' future we are headed towards.

Wikilink
Behaviometrics Company
They're even applying it to the programs we use everyday...this is why they track information the way they do.

There's more...much more....

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the links MS.

It's almost like a bad movie. The most unsettling thing about modern surveillance is how much we all contribute to it. Unwittingly all be it sadly often completely ignorantly at that. Any federal or state agency (or suffieciently dedicated stalker) could almost instantly put together a pretty complete picture of my life. From locations I frequent to specific computer terminals I use, to trends showing who I'm likely to be accompanied by to what i spend money on and when.

We weave a web of personality across cyberspace and I can't help but wonder where the end is. There is a digital whirl wind of thoughts and actions flying from my fingertips right now.

It's like we are our who we are but we are eminating this digital ghost that holds all our secrets and will share them with even the lowest bidder...

I reall ydon't know how to feel about it. I also don't believe anything can be done about if we choose to continue to embrace the world we've created. Wonderous as it is it's perils are boundless and ever increasing.
edit on 5-7-2012 by constantwonder because: beatiful strips of bacon

top topics

join