It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food stamps should not be used for junk food

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I think the OP was mainly irritated at the amount of junk food... candy, chips, etc. and nothing of solid foods. No meats or veges..... good foods.

But the Op failed to point out that there is unhealthily stuff in store bought meat and veggies as well.

Some have pointed the above out on this thread, and also said to make sure to get truly organic veggies, a garden if you can, but even then you are still relying on mother nature to help you out, and I've seen great gardens turn to mold, because of too much rain.

I agree with the op to an extent, and all those who want to see children eating healthy, but I also know of people who have cursed others out for having the veggies and meat in their baskets, because they are full of toxins, and chemicals bad for their children.

So, can we really say eating supermarket fruit, veggies, and meats, is healthier in the long run ? Can we be so sure healthcare won't be paying for costs related to these foods down the road?

edit on 25-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hello Thunder Heart Woman: I can relate. I saw a woman once at the checkout with $75 in food stamps...and had 5-6 boxes of those dietetic-lose weight chocolates...and a Pepsi.

And here in the Detroit area...unscrupulous party store owners open packs of cigarettes (illegal) and sell them for a dollor or more each...IN TRADE for food stamps (also illegal).

Ive also seen liquor sold illegally paid for in stamps.

Just nutz, you know?

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Eh, never mind. Irrelevant post..

edit on 25-6-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

I'm sorry you took such offense to my response. Still, I stand by my statement.

I'm not sure why you want to plaster your image all over ATS either, but hey, that's up to you.

I'm sorry, but when I see enormous people waddling through the grocery store, or riding the complementary scooters packing their cart with soda, chips, candy, donuts, TV dinners.. It really makes me feel kind of sad for them. You can say whatever you want about your own situation.. I have no problem with people on foodstamps. I realize people need help and I believe they should get it. My mother was on foodstamps when I was young, before she married my stepdad.

I volunteer at a food co-op and deliver food to the elderly. These are people that cannot afford food but don't qualify for foodstamps or aid, so we've built a co-op to buy in bulk and feed people at wholesale prices.

You don't know anything about me yet you're taking my statements out of context and assuming I'm against food aid. I'm not. I'm against irresponsible people getting fatter on the taxpayer's dime. I agree with personal freedom too, and am not trying to dictate what people who buy their own food eat. As I said twice before, though, people who received food aid shouldn't be spending it on microwave pizzas, hot pockets, donuts and pepsi. Especially when they have four kids to feed. Most of that money is for the kids' to eat with, and they aren't getting a choice but to be fed garbage food that will eventually contribute to their early deaths.

I apologize for any perceived lack of sensitivity. I'm sorry if you feel guilty and have decided to take things that don't exist out of my message. I don't think at any point that I said foodstamps should stop - I just said it's ridiculous that we allow people to buy pure garbage foods with them.

Good for you for eating healthy. At no point did I say all food stamp recipients are unhealthy, but was instead referring to the majority who are.

Personally I'm kind of tired of being viewed by the whole world as a country of fat people.

ETA:

Really? That's me. Do I look unhealthy? My skin is clear, my eyes are bright, you can see I'm not over weight.. I'm sure you'll just judge me by my haircut!

PS: Before you say I lost my job because of my haircut- I am a cook- therefore your assumption shall be moot as my shaven head is the picture of sanitation in a kitchen.

I don't even care about your haircut. Definitely not attracted to it.. at all. But It wouldn't even be an issue if you hadn't posted the picture. I don't need to consider or comment on your haircut.. I'm not sure what relevance it has here. But I'm glad you found an opportunity for self promotion!

You do seem really, really starved for attention though.

PS - I don't eat chips. I don't eat Fast Food. I eat local meat and produce, much of the produce is grown in my own back yard. I have worked and had an income since I was 12 years old. I have decent savings. I'm about to buy my second home. If and when I need help, it will come from my community as they know me and know what I'm about. Thanks for the well wishes, but I'm doin' ok.
edit on 25-6-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Yeah I am with you on the junk food. Years ago you could buy beer and smokes too
What got a few times, Here I am buying bottom round ,hamburger and cheese and mac. trying to save a buck in this economy, And this women is buying lobster,shrimp and Filet Mingion! Go figure!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Lol- putting a picture in this thread is "plastering it all over the ATS?" Ok.

Do you even read what you write? I posted my picture because you said you can spot a food stamp recipient: "simply because these people are easy to spot and then it's confirmed when you're in line behind one of them. There is a reason these people are easy to spot and it's not because they're the spitting image of a healthy human.." So, you would assume I am on food stamps just by looking at me?

Good for you for eating healthy. At no point did I say all food stamp recipients are unhealthy, but was instead referring to the majority who are.

Then what did you mean by your statement regarding how you can spot one "because they're not the spitting image of a healthy human being."? Again, I look healthy, don't ? You could tell immediately that I am on food stamps?

don't even care about your haircut. Definitely not attracted to it.. at all. But It wouldn't even be an issue if you hadn't posted the picture. I don't need to consider or comment on your haircut.. I'm not sure what relevance it has here. But I'm glad you found an opportunity for self promotion! You do seem really, really starved for attention though.

You are utterly hopeless. Did I ask you if you were attracted to me? Certainly not, though I hope you will quote me where I asked this. Don't project your own methods and reasons for whatever it is you do, onto other people, please. It's very unbecoming. I posted it t make the point that- I am on food stamps, I am not overweight, sickly or in any way unhealthy- as you assume all food stamp recipients are.

I realize this is all moot. I just despise judgemental jerks.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Lol- putting a picture in this thread is "plastering it all over the ATS?" Ok.

Do you even read what you write? I posted my picture because you said you can spot a food stamp recipient: "simply because these people are easy to spot and then it's confirmed when you're in line behind one of them. There is a reason these people are easy to spot and it's not because they're the spitting image of a healthy human.." So, you would assume I am on food stamps just by looking at me?

Then what did you mean by your statement regarding how you can spot one "because they're not the spitting image of a healthy human being."? Again, I look healthy, don't ? You could tell immediately that I am on food stamps?

don't even care about your haircut. Definitely not attracted to it.. at all. But It wouldn't even be an issue if you hadn't posted the picture. I don't need to consider or comment on your haircut.. I'm not sure what relevance it has here. But I'm glad you found an opportunity for self promotion! You do seem really, really starved for attention though.

You are utterly hopeless. Did I ask you if you were attracted to me? Certainly not, though I hope you will quote me where I asked this. Don't project your own methods and reasons for whatever it is you do, onto other people, please. It's very unbecoming. I posted it t make the point that- I am on food stamps, I am not overweight, sickly or in any way unhealthy- as you assume all food stamp recipients are.

I realize this is all moot. I just despise judgemental jerks.

I'm not sure what your picture has to do with anything. You've posted it in other threads too.. In fact, I didn't even realize who you were until you posted your image and of course I remembered.

So when I say you're starved for attention, I base that on the previous images you've posted on ATS too.. Not just this thread. I think this is the third time I've stumbled upon your image here.. This time in a thread that has nothing to do with your haircut. I just find it silly. It seems like you take every opportunity to post your mug on ATS. They best part was when you accused me of having something to say about your haircut before I even had a chance to respond. Clear signs that you are hungry for attention.

No one wants to see your picture in a thread about people who make bad decisions with their free money.

So what kind of seeds did you buy with your foodstamps? Can we see some pictures of the seeds/plants that you are growing? That would be much more relevant than pictures of your face. lol.

Back to the topic: In my state foodstamps are released on two different days. One of them is the 11th, I don't remember the other one. Go to the grocery store here on the 11th, for example, and you'll see the store is much busier than usual, and there is a much higher percentage of larger ladies pushing around sometimes two carts of junk food. I'm not saying it to be a jerk, I'm saying it becuse it's true.

I like people. I don't care what they look like. I will be respectful and friendly to everyone regardless. I only mention this to give an example that this is a REAL PROBLEM. You can easily pick out the food stamp recipients on the 11th of every month in my state.

The fact that you go to such lengths to differentiate yourself from these people is interesting.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Really? That's me. Do I look unhealthy?

Actually, you kinda do.
Just dont apply for a babysitting job, poor kids would have nightmares for life

edit on 25-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

I knew somebody like that. It made me sick seeing her buy a lot of junk and no healthy food for her kids. It's all she ate. No wonder she was fat. Sometimes people do need "junk", though. Like, if they're diabetic. When I was a kid we had to have candy around in case my dad's blood sugar was out of whack.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
In New Haven, CT you can buy organic food with foodstamps at Edge of The Woods, a health food supermarket. I totally agree that you shouldn't be buying junk food with foodstamps.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
so many things bother me about the OP - the fact that they were paying with food stamps is not one of them.... its been clearly stated throughout the thread multiple times - I'm mostly bothered for the children.

On the other hand, mama said kids can't have none......

WHAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT THIS WHOLE THREAD is every single time someone claims they have a right to their opinion because they pay taxes and thats where EBT money comes from.

This is directly for you.

If we abolish all levels of welfare/aide tomorrow, and it did not exist at all - do you really believe they'll stop taking so many taxes from you? ABSOLUTELY NOT - they'll find another way to spend them. They always have, and they always will, justify their overinflated budgets.

You're entitled to your opinion because you're human. I couldn't care less if you pay your taxes or not.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
What I find out of almost all threads that have something to do with "your taxes" and where they are going or how they are used, here is a simple solution..... Have you ever asked yourself?

Have you ever wondered or been upset about how your taxes are being used?

Do you feel you should have more say in it?

Are you truly upset with "regular" people that get to use your tax dollars?

Well here let me help you out, instead of being made at a women in the store for buying cookies, here are some "people" that may help you.

Contact Elected Officials

Call, e-mail, or mail U.S. state and federal elected officials and government agencies.

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden
U.S. Senators
U.S. Representatives
State Governors
State Legislators
Tweet a Message to Your Representatives
Contact Your Government, by Agency
Contact Your Government, by Topic

www.usa.gov...

Why be mad at the cow for sour milk, when you can talk to the farmer?

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

It's a no-win situation seems like any more....

Years ago, I myself used to LOVE Little Debbie stuff, especially the brownies. I mean, at that time, I think it was only a quarter, cheap. Well, one day I got bored and started reading the ingredients on the back, or tried to any way, and man, it was nothing but chemicals. I know, what do you expect for 25 cents....

Any way, long story short, as I got older, I finally quit eating any thing that I couldn't read the names of in the ingredients. HA!! But damn, those were good....

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Years ago, I myself used to LOVE Little Debbie stuff, especially the brownies. I mean, at that time, I think it was only a quarter, cheap. Well, one day I got bored and started reading the ingredients on the back, or tried to any way, and man, it was nothing but chemicals. I know, what do you expect for 25 cents....

Any way, long story short, as I got older, I finally quit eating any thing that I couldn't read the names of in the ingredients. HA!! But damn, those were good....

Honestly, I don't read the packaging much on anything, and I still buy produce and meat that isn't "organic".

I only mentioned the concern with fruit and veggies and meat, because it is a HUGE concern for some, and apparently there are good reasons for it, which sort of takes away from the argument of having your basket full of chemically altered fruits and vegetables, and meats full of dyes, that came from animals eating too much chemical.

If you are going to argue healthy, some can come along , and point out what its in your basket isn't healthy as well, and they would most likely be correct.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Don't ask a question if you aren't ready for the answer...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I tried that once.... but since I have a background in science, I know what those chemicals are, so I get to eat them all I want

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
There is not a food source in the world, organic or not, that isn't stuffed FULL of dihydrogen monoxide, or was before it was processed out, yet we just ignore that.... those darn chemicals!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

I tried that once.... but since I have a background in science, I know what those chemicals are, so I get to eat them all I want

Yum-Yum ~~~~ now I'm jealous ..... LOL!

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join