It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Euro 2012 fan dies after 11 nights without sleep in China

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   

A CHINESE soccer fan died at his home after going 11 nights without sleep as he watched every single Euro 2012 game from Poland and Ukraine.

Jiang Xiaoshan died from exhaustion on June 19 after reportedly staying up every night to watch the Euros with his friends.

After watching Italy defeat the Republic of Ireland, the 26-year-old fan went back to his home in Changsha, took a shower and fell asleep. Xiaoshan never woke up.

Sources claim that the combined effects of alcohol, tobacco and sleep deprivation were to blame for his untimely death. Xiaoshan's friends were left shocked after learning of his death, stating that he lived a "relatively healthy life".

It is not the first time fans have suffered health issues watching international tournaments from different time zones. Several people were admitted to hospitals during the World Cup tournaments in 2006 and 2010 due to exhaustion.

Because of the time difference, all the European Championship games are played in the middle of the night in China.

(Link)

A short article detailing the death of an obsessed soccer/football fan in China who apparently stayed up 11 nights straight without any sleep to watch the Euro 2012 championship. There are claims that alcohol and tobacco were contributing factors, but sleep deprivation was most likely the major cause. It is unnatural and dangerous to go so many days without any sleep and hopefully this story serves as a warning to those who would think otherwise. I recently made a thread about how to get a decent sleep and encourage those with any sleeping problems to visit the thread.

CX

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Top tip of the day then.....sleep between matches....they aren't on 24/7.

CX

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
double post

edit on 24/6/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
One less idiot.
Hope he didn't get to pass his genes on first.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Very strange story. As someone mentions above, the games aren't on 24 hours a day, a game only last 90 minutes for Christ sake, lots of time to sleep in between.

And regarding the sources of death.....how the hell can Tobacco be held accounted as part of his death?

I drink and smoke, regularly together, and sometimes on the back of lack of sleep....does this mean I'm at risk too?

Absolute nonsense!

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
of course the sleep country ad comes up when I click the link

i'm going to bed, thank you for the warning Jiang.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

It did sound a bit strange but after reading up on the news articles it said he had to stay up very late to watch the games because of a time difference. The next day he had to go to work early, and probably work all day long. The time he suppose to use for sleep he used to watch the game.
He must have had a job with much noise to keep him awake during the day

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Wow, this is crazy.

There had to be some drug use involved here like some sort of uppers and a lot of coffee to boot.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Classified Info

I hate the feeling of going any more than 36 hours without sleep, I can't imagine how he felr or what his body went through. The longest I went without sleep was a 124 hours..oof!

new topics

top topics

join