It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Moore offering underware and pototo chips if you vote!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
LANSING, Mich. - Republicans say filmmaker Michael Moore should be prosecuted for offering underwear, potato chips and Ramen noodles to college students in exchange for their promise to vote.

The Michigan Republican Party has asked four county prosecutors to file charges against Moore, charging that his get-out-the-vote stunt amounts to bribery.

msnbc.msn.com...

�We want everyone to participate in this year�s election, but not because they were bribed or coerced by the likes of Michael Moore,� said Greg McNeilly, executive director of the state Republican Party.

Moore, a Michigan native, is touring the country and imploring �slackers� who usually don�t vote to head to the polls this year, saying they could make the difference in the presidential race. Moore has made stops at three Michigan universities as part of a 60-city pre-election tour.

Leave it to Michael Moore to try a stunt like this, the only problem I see with it is that students may vote his way just because he is so different and off the wall, I see it as a way to coerce students in to a reaction based on Michael Moore and not the issues!

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I thought you could only prosecute people for voting one way or the other, not encouraging them to vote in general.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
I thought you could only prosecute people for voting one way or the other, not encouraging them to vote in general.

My thoughts exactly. While this reaks of fuzzy bribery, under the law, it's fine as long as he gives this stuff to Republican voters as well as Democrats.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't see why he should be prosecuted, I mean, Bush's loyalty oath is a little more extreme than what Moore is doing, and no one is asking him to be arrested.

[edit on 5-10-2004 by TenaciousGuy]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
IT matters if he is being biased to whom he is asking

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Haha naa i doubt these reports are true, Michael Moore may have purchased potato chips and underwear, but i bet he has already eaten all of the potato chips.

I bet the underwear he bought were worn by John Kerry, and i'm sure moore smells them and dreams about Kerry every 2 or 3 minutes.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kwintz
Haha naa i doubt these reports are true, Michael Moore may have purchased potato chips and underwear, but i bet he has already eaten all of the potato chips.

I bet the underwear he bought were worn by John Kerry, and i'm sure moore smells them and dreams about Kerry every 2 or 3 minutes.

I thought Moore was an independent. If he isn't, then he sure does attack Democratic consequences as much as Republican.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
He came to my school and kind of did the same thing. He picked some people out of the audience who didn't vote, played a little game, and gave them stuff (college student stuff like ramen) if they promised to vote. He didn't ask them who they were voting for.... It was harmless.

This is asinine...

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Ok Mike - I'll vote if you change your bribe to Hershey bars, pixy stix and beer (I'd prefer Cornish cider of course but you can't get that in the US).

PS - Ramen noodles taste like

[edit on 5-10-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You REALLY have to be living on some other plane of existance to think that the offer of a pair of clean undies would conclusively persuade someone to vote Democrat (or Republican.) That just smacks of hysteria, you know?

From what I see, the "prizes" are worth $5.00 or less. That just smacks of desperation that someone would get in a froth about that.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
IT matters if he is being biased to whom he is asking

But he's not. He's touring schools, supposedly. This is ridiculous, IMO. The Republicans aren't going to send out a message that says, "Don't bribe people to vote.", but more of a message that says, "If you mess with us, we'll screw you as hard as we can, and make an example of you."

From what I see, the "prizes" are worth $5.00 or less. That just smacks of desperation that someone would get in a froth about that.

I agree. They hate him because he's a danger to Bush' re-selection. They're like spoiled children who just want to hurt and/or demonize anyone who doesn't agree with them.
Can't someone just kill all the current politicians? I'm so sick and tired of hearing about them and their detached from reality lives.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Damned]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I want some pototo chips!
Where are my pototo chips?
I love pototo chips!
Can't find the pototo chips!
Where are the pototo chips?!
Are they in Iraq?

I crack myself up!

Sorry jeeze louise that's just what came into my head right then.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I heard it was noodles, not potato chips.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
He should be taking this offer to the bums of America, he would get a better turn out.

[edit on 6-10-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Look, I've said it before, I'll say it again.

If you guys don't want him in Michigan, send him to my town. I'd totally take him up on that offer. I need clean clothes just like everyone else, and if I have a year's supply of tostitos, I'd never have to buy chips for parties again.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Bingo...

Ahh...I remember the Ramen days, hehe... Basically the modern equivalent of hard tack, hehe.... Believe it or not, I still actually like them! Throw a packet of Lipton Cup A Soup in with 2 packs of Ramen, and it's damn decent!

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The only thing I find sad is the thought that college students could be swayed by underwear and noodles. Is he touring the 3rd world??

I'd hit him for more than that considering the moolah he's toting.

new topics

top topics

join