It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force to develop microwave weapon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
DAYTON, Ohio - The Air Force expects planes will be able to fire non-lethal microwave rays at enemy ground troops with the help of a new superconducting generator system developed at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base after about 25 years of research.

msnbc.msn.com...

Heavy, inefficient generators have been a hurdle to the development of airborne microwave weapons, which create a disabling burning sensation.

Microwaves could be used to control large groups of enemy fighters without killing them or disable electronics-dependent enemy weapons, said Philip Coyle, senior adviser for the Center for Defense Information.

The Air Force is going to award a private contract to somebody for $22 million and want to able to demonstate it by 2009. It would work kind of like a stun gun and would be useful in paralizing people and weapons on the ground.

This would cut down on civilian deaths and could shut down machines, instead of destroying them, Hopefully weapons like this will replace some of the more destructive weapons in use today!

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Non lethal, microwave, and people dont fit together. Microwaves vibrate water particles to cause heat. I fyou shot them at people you would cook them considering we are like 80% water.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyTheBear
Non lethal, microwave, and people dont fit together. Microwaves vibrate water particles to cause heat. I fyou shot them at people you would cook them considering we are like 80% water.

It all depends on the power output.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Interesting they say that they have this ability. But I guess time will tell how it will work, and the side effects. I also wonder what the civilian vershen will be like.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
SmokeyTheBear has a good point. Besides why would the USAF work on microwaves. The Russians unintentionally ended up with a similar weapon. One of the Migs (I think its the MiG-25 Foxbat) has a radar so powerful it can easily kill a rabbit at less than 100 paces, it became a court-marshall offense to use them below a ceratin altitude. Plus if say an AEGIS cruiser pointed its radar at somebody what do you think would happen, can you say microwavable bacon?

new topics

top topics

join