It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman found with superhuman sight enabling her to see 99 million more colours than an average person

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Just came across this article. Mindblowing to think how different her experience of reality must be to the rest of ours.

She can see an unimaginable range and depth of hues and is the first so-called ‘tetrachromat’ to be discovered in Britain following a 20-year search by researchers

It is due to her having 4 types of cone cells instead of 3. It is a shame the article doesn't go into more detail about this but I'll dig around and see if i can come up with some more information. Fascinating stuff!

Linky
edit on 23-6-2012 by Chonx because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2012 by Chonx because: error in title

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I wonder if she is more prone to epilepsy.

I also wonder how soon it will be until this is lab created and reproducible.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I hope she doesn't become an 'experiment' for her government.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I don't think it would be possible to alter a non-tetrachromat's eyes to enable this, unless the entire eye is removed and replaced (creepy thought), so for most of us, imagining what this might be like is the best we're going to get.

Here is a little test you can do to determine if you are one of the few:

www.blogadilla.com...

Any superhumans here on ATS? Lets find out

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I have heard people mention evolving or a changing of the DNA that is currently happening. I am not sure if I buy into that yet or not, but it would make this a lot more interesting.

I would love to see what she sees!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I think you underestimate the science which is abroad on the Earth if you truly believe science is incapable of producing this effect. Stem cell research and genetic science have produced a goat that can produce spider silk proteins in its milk. Are you really telling me that you think that mankind could not give a person enhanced hue perception?

I think it is less a matter of whether or not they can, than whether or not they have. I know they can. Hell, the US military has a doctor in its ranks who developed a powder that can cause the body to regenerate missing fingers, or have a soldier regenerate eighty percent of a limb that would have to have been other wise amputated. The story can be found here on ATS somewhere if you look.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I know where you're coming from and I agree in part...

What I said was that I didn't think it would be possible without replacing a persons eyeballs completely.

I don't think it would be possible to alter an existing eyeball to become tetrachromatic as this would require the implantation or a whole new set of cone cells. I think making someone a new tetrachromatic eyeball from their own stem cells would be a more viable way to go.

Of course, the issue of whether or not the person's visual cortex would then be able to process the extra information is raised which I guess would require re-training it and again, I'm not sure if that's possible either

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx

I know where you're coming from and I agree in part...

What I said was that I didn't think it would be possible without replacing a persons eyeballs completely.

I don't think it would be possible to alter an existing eyeball to become tetrachromatic as this would require the implantation or a whole new set of cone cells. I think making someone a new tetrachromatic eyeball from their own stem cells would be a more viable way to go.

Of course, the issue of whether or not the person's visual cortex would then be able to process the extra information is raised which I guess would require re-training it and again, I'm not sure if that's possible either

I think where the visual cortex is concerned that I may be able to shed some light (if you will pardon expression
). Tetrachromacy is described as the condition of possessing four different cone cells in the eye. No mention is ever made of the image processing capability of the individual brain, although colour synesthesia would be an example of a cross connection between the visual cortex and the parts of the brain to do with abstracts like numbers and meaning.

One assumes ( a dangerous thing to do I know) therefore, that the visual cortex is constructed in healthy persons, in a way which will process ANY visual data that is fed to it. The only caveat being, that if the actual instrument which feeds it is faulty, it will perform in a sub par manner, while if it is extraordinary, it will accept the larger input just as readily.

Another thing to consider, is that in all the references I can locate on tetrachromatic vision, no mention is ever made of it. This MAY be because no one has ever done a proper study of the visual cortex in such an affected person, however, I find that unlikely. The more likely probability is that examinations were performed, and showed no abnormal activity in that region of the brain, despite the subjects obvious special talents, else there would surely be mention of such an anomaly somewhere.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Found this, and thought it might be interesting from the point of view of tetrachromic vision.

www.xrite.com...

The lower your score, the better. Best of luck to everybody and their eyeballs.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Thanks for posting.

I got a "10".... and a flashback to standing in home depot going cross-eyed, trying to choose the paint for our kitchen.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

I managed a three, but that was second time around
I know what you mean about standing in a hardware store with a colour chart though!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Can't read link for some reason(my #e,dying computer)-Can she see stuff out of the range of the normal human eye's frequency range?
Stuff like gamma/infrared/EM?
Or does she just see many extra colors within our spectrum that most just do not notice?

I wish I could see in EM and IR.
Guess we have to wait for the eye implants of the future for that,if we get there.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

We must clone her and phase out all others.
She shall be renamed Eve, with the eye of God.

Crazy. Evolution?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
I don't think it would be possible to alter a non-tetrachromat's eyes to enable this, unless the entire eye is removed and replaced (creepy thought), so for most of us, imagining what this might be like is the best we're going to get.

Here is a little test you can do to determine if you are one of the few:

www.blogadilla.com...

Any superhumans here on ATS? Lets find out

It is not that far off, I would say.

Before;

After;

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I am sure my girlfriend also has superhuman sight because every time she buys a make-up product, shoes and dresses, to me, it feels like she's buying the same color she already has.

She must see something I'm not!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Bahaha. Honestly, with technology rapidly phasing out humans, I wouldn't rely on things like this. Before long I'm sure people will be popping in artificial eyeballs like they're cheap and disposable.

It's not about cloning one human over another or genetic favoritism. That's so last year. These days, it's about how AI and biotechnology will integrate with the human to make the human better. Whoever can afford it or has the genius to pursue it will be part of our future.

It's not about humans vs computers/machines, it's about computers/machines/humans vs humans.
edit on 23-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Consider this: In any other time then this current one, one with the ability to "scientifically" measure her eye, this women would be considered a nut. When this woman looked and saw "X" color instead of the standard "y" color, the people around her would have immediately called her crazy. If she could HEAR beyond what a standard person could hear, she would be classified as insane, as there is no way to measure much of what folks who hear beyond the standard spectrum hear - this is due to hearing "inside" the head and not with the ears. Now, go a step further, what if she was shy, or not particularly articulate, then she might not be able to share her gift and folks will call her crazy.

This should stand a lesson to all, not all people are crazy because they experience things in a different way then the average.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

With trillions and trillions of cells in the human body each person is bound to have something rare about them. It's probability. But anyway, my last post clarifies my opinion about being 'special'.

I don't think human evolutionary genetics can compete, especially on its own. Humans have to integrate with machines and computers to be their best. It's not about being superhuman.

Computers + Machines + Humans > Superhumans (if they even exist).

The whole package is what's important.

The human body changes too slowly on its own, bottom line. That's why police forces and military forces use night vision goggles and other technologies and not just their eyes. Our body is fragile and limited. It's a superb work of natural engineering, but its role in all this has reached its peak. I'm not implying we should disrespect nature, I'm only being as honest as I can about it.
edit on 23-6-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
i wonder what her art would be like.

wonder what she does for a living and if her eyesight gives her any advantages

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Found this, and thought it might be interesting from the point of view of tetrachromic vision.

www.xrite.com...

The lower your score, the better. Best of luck to everybody and their eyeballs.

There is 4 test there. I got a perfect score on the first one which surprised me. I will have to go back and do all 4 test later

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join