It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like feature

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been suggested and dismissed before, i couldnt see anything on the search.

Basically I am just suggesting to use a 'like' feature in threads. Sometimes when following a thread i agree or enjoy someones response and think it would be decent to have a little like button. I am a member of another forum that uses a feature like this. Underneath the post it shows all the users that have liked it.

I personally dont reply often and am more of a lurker like many others on this site. I follow ats daily and think it would be a good idea to show a poster that you agree with them, while not having to always submit a reply to show this. It may benefit the users who dont reply often but follow the topics.

Just a thought

Good evening

*just to add i am not referring to the thread as a whole. Just a like button for the individual posts within it
edit on 22-6-2012 by KingDoey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KingDoey

In general this is the function of the star. To express approval or agreement with the poster's comment or style of reply.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Like = Flag
Dislike = Don't Flag/Unflag
Like Individual Post = Star
Don't like Individual Post = Report Abuse (
)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Yes but you cant star someone without actually replying to their post. Would be good if you could just like it and that be that
edit on 23-6-2012 by KingDoey because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

What do you mean? You can star a post and that is all.

You just click the outline of the star above their post and your star will be added. Very simple. You can practice on my threads if you want. lol.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Damn facebook generation

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think if there was a way to view who gave the stars, that would solidify it a little more. I realize we're not "facebook", but the "likes" on there show who it was that liked the post and can give you an idea of who it is your comments are reaching as well as prevent the one or two word posts like "I agree" or "that's a very good idea" which could be considered off topic in some cases or open them up to attacks if they have to find a way to extrapolate on why they like the comment or idea, then somebody attacking the extrapolation.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This isn't FB. If you want to like something do so on there.

There are stars if you like a post here or flags if you like a thread. You can even subscribe if you want to follow a thread.

No need to turn ATS into FB!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This isn't FB. If you want to like something do so on there.

There are stars if you like a post here or flags if you like a thread. You can even subscribe if you want to follow a thread.

No need to turn ATS into FB!!!

It's not an attempt to turn ATS into FB, it's an attempt to use ideas that work well in other places to enrich the experience here. Every feature that exists is based on a feature from elsewhere on the web over a period of time and there's no reason to ignore the success and reasoning behind a good feature that some other format uses and not considering incorporating it into this experience.
The basic features that exist are almost identical to the features AOL had 10 years ago but used in different ways with a different approach. It's building on previous knowledge instead of reinventing the wheel, which we, as an evolving society, often do.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

The basic features that exist are almost identical to the features AOL had 10 years ago but used in different ways with a different approach

Oh hell, please tell me you didnt use AOHELL to support an argument?

btw, still like your avatar

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Damn facebook generation

I don't go on facebook mate...

I am a member of a plumbing forum and they use a feature on there. As was said similar to stars. But it would show who actually gave the star.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I would love to see ATS get as big as FB. Wait!!! What am I thinking!!!

Edit to say, I think we are one step ahead and advanced from the 'like' thing, we have a two fold way with the S@F.
edit on 23-6-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Why do you care who stars a post or.if people know you did?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Just thought it would be a good idea. No need to be a flake

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by PurpleChiten

The basic features that exist are almost identical to the features AOL had 10 years ago but used in different ways with a different approach

Oh hell, please tell me you didnt use AOHELL to support an argument?

btw, still like your avatar

Yeah, but as horrible as it became, it was the first "big" social forum that laid the foundation for all that have followed.
You always make a rough draft (or a dozen or a hundred or ...) before making the final masterpiece

Hope that masterpiece comes out in my lifetime!!

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Dislike

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i know i would "like" this feature
its like somebody said would reduce short back scrather posts
i often just want to let an other user that i -jplaysguitar- likes there post aposed to an anonymous star

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is weird... the star feature on this thread seems to be missing!

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by EllaMarina

Stars in the board questions forum are not implemented, only in the topical forums.....

On that note, I would love a like function, even if it were integrated with Facebook, i don't understand the paranoia of some that go against this, but integrating with another popular site will increase the usage of this one!

edit on 12/6/25 by Im a Marty because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join