It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Mammal Meat Allergy is Caused by Ticks and Spreading Fast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
www.dailytech.com...

The culprit is a new allergy to galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, or alpha-gal, a sugar found in the flesh of virtually all non-primate mammals. The allergy is pretty unique. Allergist Dr. Erin McGintee describes, "Intellectually, it's such a cool allergy on so many levels. It's a sugar, not a protein, and most food allergies occur in response to a protein antigen."

And to add to the oddity, the allergy is the first known case of delayed anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis is a serious allergic reaction to food that can cause death. Symptoms include the appearance of an itchy rash, throat swelling, and low blood pressure. Typically these symptoms occur minutes after eating the allergy-containing food. But in the case of the alpha-gal allergy, people can eat a steak dinner and then be stricken with anaphylaxis hours later, requiring hospitalization and life-saving epinephrine injections.

So you develop the allergy after being bitten by a tick! Hmmm... Is this something new or has it been around for thousands of years and the cause only determined now? Has something changed in ticks? Maybe pesticide or monsanto related?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Sounds like one more of the engineered diseases that are it seems everywhere now.
Certainly would be a bad thing if you were out to get the beef industry. So it could be $$ motivated if it is lab produced.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I'm already 90% vegetarian, now I just might give up meat altogether.

I find it hard to believe this is natural, more likely caused by all the genetic tinkering thats taking place.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
www.dailytech.com...

The culprit is a new allergy to galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose, or alpha-gal, a sugar found in the flesh of virtually all non-primate mammals... "It's a sugar, not a protein, and most food allergies occur in response to a protein antigen."

And to add to the oddity, the allergy is the first known case of delayed anaphylaxis... Typically these symptoms occur minutes after eating the allergy-containing food. But in the case of the alpha-gal allergy, people can eat a steak dinner and then be stricken with anaphylaxis hours later, requiring hospitalization and life-saving epinephrine injections.

Talk about killing two birds with one stone. What is our society trying to do with our foods right now. Eliminate sugar, and move towards vegetarianism.

Methinks this little tick has had some help with its evolution. Ticks are not picky, they will bite any mammal. So why the specialization of only non-primate animals antigens? And why would an antigen for something you regularly eat, suddenly be deadly for you unless it was tweaked in some manner? hmmmmmmm

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

This is just a malicious rumour spread about by the
Secret bacon eating Veganists

Cran

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by oghamxx

Cran

At least its not from....The Daily Mail

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
reply to post by oghamxx

Cran

i'm a long time vegetarian but the smell of bacon frying is still sooo tempting.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I have been following a lot of news lately on ticks and how bad they are this year in Southern Ontario.
I have got bites all over me here on my legs and arms and it only takes minutes fooling in the garden to get a half dozen or so.

This is of major interest to me because I have a full loin of top sirloin in the freezer and I want to enjoy it this summer.
I have to agree with the OP as in why has this suddenly happened and what can be done about it.
It seems to me since AIDS raised it's ugly head it is now the norm for a new disease to sprout and nobody is asking why this is happening now?

S&F
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 22-6-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Im the exact opposite. I eat a low carbohydrate diet. I am VERY heavy on veggies, and cook with things like coconut flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, flax....but without meats 50% of my diet would be gone. Maybe more, as sometimes i may make a multi course meal of meat dishes.

However, I could have little trouble eating only seafood and poultry, were I to have this allergy. Pork would be the hardest to give up, especially smoked sausage.

I have had Lyme Disease. So I am very familiar with the havoc that ticks can wreak on us.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

I have a good friend who has had this allergy for 2 years now and yes, it is that serious. Several trips to the ER due to delayed anaphylaxis. She also lost 20 pounds and is skinny as a rail now. It took 6 months just to get it diagnosed and the whole time she kept eating meat and getting sick from it.
Ticks are everywhere here in Virginia, I've had 5 or 6 bite me already this year.
I'm going to take this seriously.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Getting rid of factory farming (*not NECESSARILY all consumption of meat, though I eat none myself) would be the most incredible boon for the environment. If you think of the absolutely disgusting conditions in which factory farmed animals are raised... they are a breeding ground for mad cow, superbugs, you name it. The slash and burn farming of precious RAINFOREST to grow monocultured GMO crops to feed animals, the waste of water, the generation of methane...

Nature does have some mysterious ways of balancing itself out.

In other news, this opens up a huge door for apesteak and cannibalism.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Well luckilly i dont get bitten by antyhing, yes anything, im 42 and i've been in places where every one is being munched on by mossies and or midgies, but they just land on me have a sniff and leave me alone and find some one else to munch on. Now unfortunatly my son has'nt inherated this characteristic from me which is strange as my dad has it to. Will have to keep my eye on my little man.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by manicminxx

Unfortunately, we don't live an utopia where everyone can easily transition into vegetarianism.

I personally can't stand most veggies and won't touch tofu. Then again, I try to limit my consumption of red meat and pork as much as possible. I've been hitting the burgers more lately out of convenience.

I find that as I age, certain veggies become more appealing. I hated canned spinach growing up but I can eat it now. I love raw spinach. Ditto for tomatoes. Hate them raw but will eat them cooked. Hell, you can say the same for onions except that I prefer them in soup.

Just wanted to share.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Well there's your problem. Nothing tastes good out of a can, except tomato. Matter of fact, if you want to greatly improve the flavor of your pasta sauce, buy it in a can instead of a jar. The flavor is 100% better.

But there is nothing else that comes in a can that, to me, is fit for human consumption.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
So this means livestock producers will start using stronger insecticides on their animals to keep the ticks off, and we can EAT IT.

There's no end to it.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BellaSabre

It is not the result of the mammals being bitten by a tick. When a tick bites YOU then you may develop a dangerous, potentially lethal, allergy to mammal meat.

The only mammal meat which you can eat which is exempt from creating your allergy is primates. This appears to be good news for zombies!

Buy stock in KFC!

I wonder if a dog is bitten by one of those ticks if the dog can get the allergy?
edit on 23-6-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It sounds like something they are bringing out. And its not good, we need the protein and ortho bone vitaims, for health, teeth and bones and they're promotion of health is always the opposite.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
From what I have heard, what happens is the person becomes so allergic to the tick, that any cow the tick has bitten also causes the allergy, when the person eats the meat. So, beef from Alaska is okay. They don't have a tick problem up there. But any meat that is from an animal that has been bitten by the tick will cause the reaction. I really think this sounds engineered, personally.

I've always had a strong aversion to ticks, and this just makes it worse.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

im glad im a vagatarian!

on another note, theres the whole conspiracy about the origin of ticks coming from a nazi scientist or something like that.

gotta love this werld

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

I finally after 10 plus years gave into the temptation of some pork BBQ this summer, WOW!!! NOT worth it! Aside from the allergic type reaction which is almost like a heartattack, I honestly felt something very very interesting.

After eating a few bites, I could literally feel my energy go from the crown chakra and slowly slide down until all my energy seemed to come from below the base chakra.

Afterwards not only feeling sick but unable to force myself to vomit, I tried everything and could not get the flesh to rise up my body to come out my mouth!

The dead flesh sat in my stomach and it was as if gravity changed for me and the only direction it was going to go would have to be down...

There is something so significant about the energy behind eating meat, this dimension, higher dimensions, gravity to name just a couple things.

I had tick fever last summer, so this topic interests me.

My dog has developed allergies, could it be related to this? What can be done?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join